Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Don't Complain When Your iPhone Gets Stolen In New York

By Connor Simpson | The Atlantic Wire – Sat, Dec 29, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...-175004686.html

Because it just means you're exactly like everyone else. The problem with Apple theft in New York City is so bad it's having an effect on the overall crime rate for New York City.

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we’d be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, told The New York Times. Crime in New York, for the most part, is on the decline. 2012 saw the murder rate in Gotham City hit a new record low: 414 murders in 2012, compared to 471 in 2009. Which is great! And the police are excited about their numbers, because it means they're doing their job and the city is safe, even if it's mostly because of questionable policies like stop and frisk.

But the one thing holding them back from having a positive year across the board is the confusingincrease in Apple-related thefts:

The Police Department said thefts of Apple products had risen by 3,890, which was more than the overall increase in “major crimes.”

Seriously, they have no idea how to stop it or what's triggering it. (Except the overall coolness of Apple products, we guess.) And it's not really something you can fight directly, because you can't protect citizens who have Apple stuff more than, say, citizens with Android stuff. That creates more concerning problems in the long run.

But, we should mention, Android users are free to complain if their stuff gets stolen. "[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said the thefts of non-Apple devices had declined," the Times notes.

Edited by dudeone, 01 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I neither own an iPhone nor plan on going to New York in the near future, so I shall not be complaining much.
Posted Image

#3 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Another to buy Samsung, I guess?

#4 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Goin to New York next week with my Samsung Galaxy :)
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,714 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I neither own an iPhone nor plan on going to New York in the near future, so I shall not be complaining much.

I have an iPhone, but i will not be going to New York soon. Also, i highly doubt i'd let my iPhone be stolen. So I will also not be complaining. Probably.

Will anyone here be complaining soon? This is important to know.
Posted Image

#6 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Pretty simple deduction
Apple = In demand, valuable
Samsung Android = No interest to majority of population except techno geeks

#7 TheNoelPatrol

TheNoelPatrol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Pretty simple deduction

Actually, Apple is the go to for persons with low intelligence, such as thieves.

QUOTE (diesel_3 @ Aug 28 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well..any way you slice it....Mike Gillis just pimp-slapped the Western Conference.

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

jail break iphone. best of both worlds.

#9 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

iOS and Android both suck, IMO.

#10 dudeone

dudeone

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Man Sets Online Dating Honey Trap to Recover iPhone

By Alyssa Newcomb | ABC News Blogs – 7 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

A New York musician posed as a saucy femme fatale in order to come face-to-face with the man who took his iPhone.

Nadal Nirenberg left his iPhone 4 in a cab on New Year's Eve. The next morning, around 6 a.m., he noticed someone was using his online dating profile, which was linked to his phone, to troll for dates.

The Brooklynite decided to lure the person with his phone into a honey trap. He set up a phony female profile on OK Cupid, complete with a cleavage-bearing photo plucked from the Internet, and began communicating.

"My best version of talking as a girl as a flirty girl, I should say, is adding winky face emoticons," Nirenberg said.

The mark took the bait, writing: "U wanna meet?"

When Nirenberg said he did, the target, thinking he was communicating with a buxom beauty, asked, "Will you kiss me?"

Nirenberg coyly responded, "Well … I don't have a boyfriend."

They made a plan to meet up at Nirenberg's Brooklyn apartment for a date.

The man with Nirenberg's iPhone showed up in a nice jacket, smelling of cologne, and had a bottle of wine, Nirenberg said.

"I followed him up the stairs and he turns around and, basically, I confront him right here," Nirenberg said. "I put the $20 in his hand to defuse the situation as fast as possible, but I had a hammer in my hand just in case."

The man handed over the iPhone, took the money and ran, but not before Nirenberg got the last word.
"As he was walking away, I was surprised, I said, 'You smell great though,'" Nirenberg said.

It was a happy ending for the musician, who said 10 minutes after he got his phone back, he received a text for a last-minute gig.

Edited by dudeone, 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#11 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Don't Complain When Your iPhone Gets Stolen In New York

By Connor Simpson | The Atlantic Wire – Sat, Dec 29, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...-175004686.html

Because it just means you're exactly like everyone else. The problem with Apple theft in New York City is so bad it's having an effect on the overall crime rate for New York City.

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we’d be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, told The New York Times. Crime in New York, for the most part, is on the decline. 2012 saw the murder rate in Gotham City hit a new record low: 414 murders in 2012, compared to 471 in 2009. Which is great! And the police are excited about their numbers, because it means they're doing their job and the city is safe, even if it's mostly because of questionable policies like stop and frisk.

But the one thing holding them back from having a positive year across the board is the confusingincrease in Apple-related thefts:

The Police Department said thefts of Apple products had risen by 3,890, which was more than the overall increase in “major crimes.”

Seriously, they have no idea how to stop it or what's triggering it. (Except the overall coolness of Apple products, we guess.) And it's not really something you can fight directly, because you can't protect citizens who have Apple stuff more than, say, citizens with Android stuff. That creates more concerning problems in the long run.

But, we should mention, Android users are free to complain if their stuff gets stolen. "[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said the thefts of non-Apple devices had declined," the Times notes.

The lesson here is, don't buy anymore Apple products or it will get stolen.

Posted Image

#12 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Pretty simple deduction

It is in demand because there are more Apple fan boys and the fact that Apple charges people too much for their product. Otherwise Apple products and non-Apple products are all made the same and manufactured from China. The only difference is the price. It isn't like Apple products are made from gold or platinum. They are all just plastic electronics with differing OS.

Posted Image

#13 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

CDC theme: It's the object's fault.

#14 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

jail break iphone. best of both worlds.

Well, you don't need to "jail break" Android to get the best customization. iOS 6 is overrated and Apple has ran out of ideas for their iPhone. Apple iPhones used to be revolutionary and innovative, now they are outdated.

Posted Image

#15 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

CDC theme: It's the object's fault.

At least iPhones aren't used to kill people.

Posted Image

#16 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

At least iPhones aren't used to kill people.

Dont give Apple any ideas D:

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

iOS and Android both suck, IMO.

You haven't tried Jelly Bean 4.2 on Nexus 4?

Besides, both of those OS have revolutionized the cell phone market. Just look at Nokia and Blackberry bleeding because they snoozed.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.