Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dudeone

Don't Complain When Your iPhone Gets Stolen In New York

17 posts in this topic

By Connor Simpson | The Atlantic Wire – Sat, Dec 29, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...-175004686.html

Because it just means you're exactly like everyone else. The problem with Apple theft in New York City is so bad it's having an effect on the overall crime rate for New York City.

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we’d be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, told The New York Times. Crime in New York, for the most part, is on the decline. 2012 saw the murder rate in Gotham City hit a new record low: 414 murders in 2012, compared to 471 in 2009. Which is great! And the police are excited about their numbers, because it means they're doing their job and the city is safe, even if it's mostly because of questionable policies like stop and frisk.

But the one thing holding them back from having a positive year across the board is the confusingincrease in Apple-related thefts:

The Police Department said thefts of Apple products had risen by 3,890, which was more than the overall increase in “major crimes.”

Seriously, they have no idea how to stop it or what's triggering it. (Except the overall coolness of Apple products, we guess.) And it's not really something you can fight directly, because you can't protect citizens who have Apple stuff more than, say, citizens with Android stuff. That creates more concerning problems in the long run.

But, we should mention, Android users are free to complain if their stuff gets stolen. "[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said the thefts of non-Apple devices had declined," the Times notes.

I neither own an iPhone nor plan on going to New York in the near future, so I shall not be complaining much.

I neither own an iPhone nor plan on going to New York in the near future, so I shall not be complaining much.

Pretty simple deduction

Apple = In demand, valuable

Samsung Android = No interest to majority of population except techno geeks

Pretty simple deduction

jail break iphone. best of both worlds.

Man Sets Online Dating Honey Trap to Recover iPhone

By Alyssa Newcomb | ABC News Blogs – 7 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/york-man-sets-online-dating-honey-trap-recover-154523736--abc-news-topstories.html

A New York musician posed as a saucy femme fatale in order to come face-to-face with the man who took his iPhone.

Nadal Nirenberg left his iPhone 4 in a cab on New Year's Eve. The next morning, around 6 a.m., he noticed someone was using his online dating profile, which was linked to his phone, to troll for dates.

The Brooklynite decided to lure the person with his phone into a honey trap. He set up a phony female profile on OK Cupid, complete with a cleavage-bearing photo plucked from the Internet, and began communicating.

"My best version of talking as a girl as a flirty girl, I should say, is adding winky face emoticons," Nirenberg said.

The mark took the bait, writing: "U wanna meet?"

When Nirenberg said he did, the target, thinking he was communicating with a buxom beauty, asked, "Will you kiss me?"

Nirenberg coyly responded, "Well … I don't have a boyfriend."

They made a plan to meet up at Nirenberg's Brooklyn apartment for a date.

The man with Nirenberg's iPhone showed up in a nice jacket, smelling of cologne, and had a bottle of wine, Nirenberg said.

"I followed him up the stairs and he turns around and, basically, I confront him right here," Nirenberg said. "I put the $20 in his hand to defuse the situation as fast as possible, but I had a hammer in my hand just in case."

The man handed over the iPhone, took the money and ran, but not before Nirenberg got the last word.

"As he was walking away, I was surprised, I said, 'You smell great though,'" Nirenberg said.

It was a happy ending for the musician, who said 10 minutes after he got his phone back, he received a text for a last-minute gig.

By Connor Simpson | The Atlantic Wire – Sat, Dec 29, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...-175004686.html

Because it just means you're exactly like everyone else. The problem with Apple theft in New York City is so bad it's having an effect on the overall crime rate for New York City.

"If you just took away the jump in Apple, we’d be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, Mayor Bloomberg’s press secretary, told The New York Times. Crime in New York, for the most part, is on the decline. 2012 saw the murder rate in Gotham City hit a new record low: 414 murders in 2012, compared to 471 in 2009. Which is great! And the police are excited about their numbers, because it means they're doing their job and the city is safe, even if it's mostly because of questionable policies like stop and frisk.

But the one thing holding them back from having a positive year across the board is the confusingincrease in Apple-related thefts:

The Police Department said thefts of Apple products had risen by 3,890, which was more than the overall increase in “major crimes.”

Seriously, they have no idea how to stop it or what's triggering it. (Except the overall coolness of Apple products, we guess.) And it's not really something you can fight directly, because you can't protect citizens who have Apple stuff more than, say, citizens with Android stuff. That creates more concerning problems in the long run.

But, we should mention, Android users are free to complain if their stuff gets stolen. "[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said the thefts of non-Apple devices had declined," the Times notes.

Pretty simple deduction

jail break iphone. best of both worlds.

CDC theme: It's the object's fault.

At least iPhones aren't used to kill people.

iOS and Android both suck, IMO.