The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to put Jan Bulis with the Sedins

whytelight

There has been some talk recently about the potential performance of players playing with higher level talent.

Notably, I've read comments like "...too bad Grabner never got a shot at playing on the top line..." or "...if Shirokov had a better line mates, he would score 40 goals..."

Questions:

1. SHOULD a coach surround a player with better talent because he is "supposed" to be a top-line player?

2. The Sedins were 3rd liners at one time. Should ALL 1st line talent have to work themselves up?

3. If a player feels entitled to play with better players, how does coaching and management deal with that?

Thoughts?

1. No, the coach should put a line together that has good chemistry, regardless of potential

2. I think 1st liners should have to prove themselves capable of playing on the top line, which can be slightly different than working your way up in certain situations. For example say you have a situations where you have a crappy team and they draft a guy like Crosby or Stamkos who can immediately step in and be one of the best players. These players have already proven they are capable of the first line, while spending very little time working their way up.

3. Coaching and management needs to do what's best for the team. No one is entitled to better players, they have to prove themselves.

See what I mean?

In reply to the thread, no, Bulis wasn't that good when he was here. Anson Carter worked though. But Burrows is good enough for the twins.

Oh and don't expect anything from the poster above me, 013, he'll either personally attack you or someone or post nothing substantial at all.

See what I mean?

In reply to the thread, no, Bulis wasn't that good when he was here. Anson Carter worked though. But Burrows is good enough for the twins.

Oh and don't expect anything from the poster above me, 013, he'll either personally attack you or someone or post nothing substantial at all.

A young one I see, he was a a pure sniper for the Canucks, left us though, his demands were too much and we couldnt afford him. Went to Europe or something.

Anyways it totally depends on the player, putting a young prospect on the third line in a checking role may not be a option for a player who is meant to be a sniper, it depends on who the player is/what he brings to the table. Bringing a player up may help the kid play with players who make him better, and thus allowing him to transition into the game easier.

In the Hodgson case, he wasnt really allowed to excel to his full potential on the 3rd, he wasnt able to pass the puck to guys who could actually get it done like Kesler and Booth, or create good chances to improve his confidence, instead he was out on the ice and just expected not to be scored on. So it really depends.

Then again you can only have so much space open for them, although I do think the Canucks have a spot on the 2nd currently which should be used for a prospect when we feel they are ready to make the team and fit the role they would be put into, example Jensen on the 2nd. So it really all depends on how things are going, how the teams playing, and if there is chemistry.

See what I mean?

Archived