6 replies to this topic

#1 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I might be a little late to the "Trade Evander" bandwagon, but I think this would be a deal that would work for both the Jets and the Islanders:

To NYI:
Kane
Little

To Winnipeg:
Ryan Strome
Calvin de Haan
Michael Grabner
1st

Why Winnipeg does this:
Ever since the team has returned to Winnipeg, Kane has been the focus of a lot of negative attention. While I'm sure most of this is just baseless speculation, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Even still Kane has immense trade value. He's a young, 30 goal scorer with lots of skill and potential. This haul give the Jets another centre to build their team around with Strome. de Haan adds some extra offensive skill on the back end.

Grabner gives them a cost controlled 20 goal scorer.

In a few years the Jets could bolster the centre depth of Strome - Scheifele - Burmistrov
And a defense of Bogosian - Byfuglien - Trouba - Enstrom - de Haan

Why the Islanders do this:
They just got a new arena deal, and can now add an All-Star to play along side Tavares. While Strome + de Haan may be a steep price, Kane will put people in the seats right away. Kane is locked up till the 2018-19 season at a reasonable 5.25 per.

Little could slot into the 2nd line centre role, and is a RFA after this year. With this deal the Islanders could throw out a top 9 of:

Kane - Tavares - Moulson
Okposo - Little - Niederreiter
Nielsen - Bailey - Boyes

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

huge underpayment by NYI, lol
Kane is their franchise player and little is a top 6 player and you gave them two guys that are not in the nhl or projected to be stars and a 2nd.
Strome may be a top line player but is not projected to be able anywhere close to Kane

#3 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I can't see Winnipeg doing this deal. They would want a lot more going back their way.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

They lose two top 6 forwards and get back a top 6 center prospect and future (not current) top 4 defenceman despite already having a solid top 4. No way the Jets do this, especially when they have Trouba and Postma in their prospect pool for up and comers on D already.

You can't just think value (although Winnipeg gives up too much here in that regard too), you have to also think of what roster needs each team has.

Edited by elvis15, 02 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#5 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

The isles have a lot going their way prospect wise. I wish they were in a bigger hockey market... they'll be so exciting to watch in a bit.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#6 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Okay, I think I know where my proposal went wrong. My original thought was just Strome + de Haan for Kane, but then NYI would be shallow in the centre position - so I added Little more as a throw in than a legitimate trading piece.

Now I've added Grabner to the deal. So the break down would be:

Grabner = Little
Strome + de Haan + 1st = Kane

huge underpayment by NYI, lol
Kane is their franchise player and little is a top 6 player and you gave them two guys that are not in the nhl or projected to be stars and a 2nd.
Strome may be a top line player but is not projected to be able anywhere close to Kane

I know Kane is a special player, but Strome isn't anything to scoff at. Strome has had a 1.66 PPG in the OHL over the last 3 years and is 1.5 PPG during two World Jr.'s. Add in de Haan who should be a top 4 offensive defenseman that can quarterback your PP, and I would have to say the value is pretty close.

I can't see Winnipeg doing this deal. They would want a lot more going back their way.

Yeah, the original was a bit off.

They lose two top 6 forwards and get back a top 6 center prospect and future (not current) top 4 defenceman despite already having a solid top 4. No way the Jets do this, especially when they have Trouba and Postma in their prospect pool for up and comers on D already.

You can't just think value (although Winnipeg gives up too much here in that regard too), you have to also think of what roster needs each team has.

I realize the Jets give more off their roster, but in my defense, I am of the mind that the Jets need to blow things up. They don't have enough talent to carry the team anywhere in the playoffs and their prospect pool is too shallow to fill any wholes. Also chances are if they trade Kane, they will be getting a prospect package.

Also your last part was what threw my value off. I figure if NYI where going for Kane, they would also want Little to fill the void on the 2nd line where Strome would likely slot in.

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 02 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,918 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't think either team does this. Strome and de Haan are two of the Islanders' best prospects and do nothing to help the Jets now.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.