The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] E. Kane to NYI

I might be a little late to the "Trade Evander" bandwagon, but I think this would be a deal that would work for both the Jets and the Islanders:

To NYI:

Kane

Little

To Winnipeg:

Ryan Strome

Calvin de Haan

Michael Grabner

1st

Why Winnipeg does this:

Ever since the team has returned to Winnipeg, Kane has been the focus of a lot of negative attention. While I'm sure most of this is just baseless speculation, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Even still Kane has immense trade value. He's a young, 30 goal scorer with lots of skill and potential. This haul give the Jets another centre to build their team around with Strome. de Haan adds some extra offensive skill on the back end.

Grabner gives them a cost controlled 20 goal scorer.

In a few years the Jets could bolster the centre depth of Strome - Scheifele - Burmistrov

And a defense of Bogosian - Byfuglien - Trouba - Enstrom - de Haan

Why the Islanders do this:

They just got a new arena deal, and can now add an All-Star to play along side Tavares. While Strome + de Haan may be a steep price, Kane will put people in the seats right away. Kane is locked up till the 2018-19 season at a reasonable 5.25 per.

Little could slot into the 2nd line centre role, and is a RFA after this year. With this deal the Islanders could throw out a top 9 of:

Kane - Tavares - Moulson

Okposo - Little - Niederreiter

Nielsen - Bailey - Boyes

Just my 2 cents.

They lose two top 6 forwards and get back a top 6 center prospect and future (not current) top 4 defenceman despite already having a solid top 4. No way the Jets do this, especially when they have Trouba and Postma in their prospect pool for up and comers on D already.

You can't just think value (although Winnipeg gives up too much here in that regard too), you have to also think of what roster needs each team has.

Okay, I think I know where my proposal went wrong. My original thought was just Strome + de Haan for Kane, but then NYI would be shallow in the centre position - so I added Little more as a throw in than a legitimate trading piece.

Now I've added Grabner to the deal. So the break down would be:

Grabner = Little

Strome + de Haan + 1st = Kane

huge underpayment by NYI, lol

Kane is their franchise player and little is a top 6 player and you gave them two guys that are not in the nhl or projected to be stars and a 2nd.

Strome may be a top line player but is not projected to be able anywhere close to Kane

Archived