11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I know that most people dont watch this tournament as it happens at the same time as the World Juniors but it is a fantastic tournament that has the future superstars all in one place. This years version has had some spectacular games including an 8-7 OT win from Team Pacific over Team Russia and a few dominant games from Team Ontario. With 2014 and 2015 top prospects like Connor McDavid, Jake Virtanen, Aaron Ekblad, Josh Ho-Sang, William Nylander it has been fantastic to watch and if you get a chance I would recommend it as it is getting to the medal round stages.

Here are a few clips of Jake Virtanen of Team Pacific who after a slow start with the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL in his 16 year old season has been dominant in this tournament of players his own age with 4 goals in 3 games plus a shootout winner. I apologize for not having clips of McDavid etc. but this is all I got.

#2 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'm starting to think you're related to Jake :emot-parrot: :lol:

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#3 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

im russian ;) just a big fan of the hitmen

#4 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm starting to think you're related to Jake :emot-parrot: :lol:

Judging by your sig, I'm guessing you're a Flames fan. Could you tell me what is going on with Mark Jankowski? I haven't seen any stats on him for the 2012-13 year.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#5 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Judging by your sig, I'm guessing you're a Flames fan. Could you tell me what is going on with Mark Jankowski? I haven't seen any stats on him for the 2012-13 year.

Jankowski is playing at Providence college. 14GP 4G 4A.. Not amazing, but not bad at the NCAA level.

#6 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

You can clearly tell from my username :lol:

Jank is having a decent freshman year considering the players around him. He has 8pts in 14 games with Providence, the 3 players in front of him are junior/seniors and the leader has 11 points.

The one player to keep an eye on is Jon Gilles, 3rd round pick of the Flames last year. He's putting up unreal numbers as a roookie in a tough Hockey East division with a 1.95GAA and .928 save%. Huge frame, 6'5", and pretty athletic.

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 02 January 2013 - 03:21 PM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#7 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I guess truly nobody cares about this tourney lol. 2 big games with medal round implications at 430 PT. Quebec vs Ontario in a winner take medal round spot, and Pacific and West with Pacific needing a regulation win over the winless West to book their spot in the medal round.

#8 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

After 2 periods Quebec leads Ontario 2-1 and Pacific and West are knotted at 2.

#9 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Kinda disappointed to see Ontario out, I wanted to see McDavid and Ekblad in the gold medal game on TSN. What elite prospects are left?

#10 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Yep, Ontario with the loss to Quebec means they are out. They will face Pacific who won 3 out of 4 games, but all in overtime which in this tournament means you get 2 points instead of a regulation win of 3. The only elite prospect that I really know is William Nylander. The final 4 are Sweden, USA, Quebec, Russia and my area that im familiar with more players are the Pacific, West, Ontario teams.

#11 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Sweden beats Russia 7-5 to win the Gold. Finishing with a bronze is the USA.

Also, Jake Virtanen scored against Connor McDavid and team Ontario in a 7-6 win. Jake finished the tournament with 5G 2A in 5 games. Pretty impressive numbers!

#12 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

It's crazy how good that game was between Sweden and Russia for kids so young. Nylander was great and the Lindblom backhand pass was Sedin quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.