The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL will Allow Teams Two Contract Buyouts for '13-'14. Who are yours?

TOMapleLaughs

Gillis is gotta look at production and trade value when making this desicion. He has also gotta look at who is playing the role that they were brought here to play and who is just a warm body filling a spot. Raymond had a ton of potential when he was brought here. Fans expected him to be a top 6 fwd and a 30 goal scorer after he developed. He is fast on his feet but has proven over the last couple of seasons that he just doesn't have the finish to be a top 6 forward. Yeah, he broke his back and that really hindered his potential, perhaps had that not happened it would be a different story. But those are the breaks, no pun intended, what happened happened and Raymond hasn't played up to his potential the last couple of years. Can you honestly think of some other role he should be playing besides the top 6 he has proven he is not? He is of little trade value due to his low production, he would be my first choice to get bought out if I was GM.

My second choice is Malholtra. His role was to win big faceoff's and chip in a goal or two every now and then. After the eye injury his F/O percentage has taken a nose dive and goal scoring has become non-exisitent. Again, it sucks what happened, but he is not filling the role he was brought here to fill. I couldn't imagine getting anything better than a 4th line center for him now so it is best to buy him out and move on.

Ballard and Lu have massively over-inflated contracts but they still have a decent trade value. I think it would be a poor decision by management to buy them out instead of fishing for a trade of decent value.

Malhotra. And. Raymond. Are. UFAs. This. Summer. And. Can't. Be. Bought. Out.

Well, I guess we could re-sign them and then buy them out, but that seems pretty stupid.

*****Attention deblovescanucks, stealth or any other moderator*****

******this man is trying to take your job, either that or he is auditioning to join you******

Either way he needs you to lock this thread so he feels vindicated

Plus he can't lock it because he is not a moderator yet.

Just please help the guy out.

I'll try each team:

ANA: none

BOS: none (injured players don't count, Thomas' contract runs out after this "season")

BUF: Leino, maybe Vanek (sign for less), maybe Regehr

CGY: Stajan, maybe Bouwmeester

CAR: none, maybe Ruutu

CHI: Hjalmarsson

COL: none, maybe Hejda

CLB: none, maybe Wisniewski

DAL: Morrow

DET: none

EDM: Horcoff, maybe Hemsky or Whitney

FLA: Jovanovski, maybe Upshall

LAK: none

MIN: Bouchard, Cullen

MTL: Gomez

NSH: none, maybe Gaustad

NJD: none

NYI: none

NYR: Redden

OTT: none

SJS: none

STL: none

TBL: Malone

TOR: Komisarek

VAN: Ballard

WSH: Ward, Schultz

WPG: none, maybe Slater

Raymond and Malhotra's contract run out after 2012-2013. There's no point buying them out for 2013-2014 and I'm not even sure you could if their contracts are ending since they have no more years left on the deal.

The buyouts will probably be Ballard/Booth depending on what we get back in the rumoured Luongo trade.

I'll try each team:

ANA: none

BOS: none (injured players don't count, Thomas' contract runs out after this "season")

BUF: Leino, maybe Vanek (sign for less), maybe Regehr

CGY: Stajan, maybe Bouwmeester

CAR: none, maybe Ruutu

CHI: Hjalmarsson

COL: none, maybe Hejda

CLB: none, maybe Wisniewski

DAL: Morrow

DET: none

EDM: Horcoff, maybe Hemsky or Whitney

FLA: Jovanovski, maybe Upshall

LAK: none

MIN: Bouchard, Cullen

MTL: Gomez

NSH: none, maybe Gaustad

NJD: none

NYI: none

NYR: Redden

OTT: none

SJS: none

STL: none

TBL: Malone

TOR: Komisarek

VAN: Ballard

WSH: Ward, Schultz

WPG: none, maybe Slater

I don't see Ballard being bought out any time soon. Edler must be signed first before you dump Ballard and on the off chance edler decides to hop ship to say Detroit with their D vacancy, that allows Ballard to slide back into the top 4 left side role he is used to playin (since he can't play right side at all).

For his $$ booth is still good, played very well before he got injured last year then just couldn't get back to game speed once he came back. He's debatably the hardest worker on the team off the ice so I can see him sticking.

People suggesting we buyout Lu? That is just ridiculous. You don't buyout a star player just because you can. I thought trading him was a bad idea, but now this?

The sensible choices are Ballard, Raymond, and Malhotra.

Maybe Raymond. The guy has had too many chances, and just eats up a roster spot. I'm keen on seeing how Malhotra comes in after a full season of heavy off season training (this is assuming he has been training like an animal). I'm hoping he surprises us all.

Package Lou and Ballard in a trade. I'm still a Keith Ballard fanboy, so personally I would rather see him back in a Canucks uni and pick up where he left off last PO's.

It will never come to a point where we need to buy out Lu. If he has a slow start, and we don't end up trading him, then we'd keep him. There are a number of other players we would trade before Lu if we need to get under the cap.

to suggest no teams would want louie because other teams are buying out players doesn't make sense.how many top goaltenders with louies record are available period. his cap hit gets less and less his current cap hit isn't even bad for a #1 guy.

buying out lou's contract would leave a cam nealy like feeling in most fans mouths or when the Guinness that is nonis let jovo walk for free.

louies a gamer he will want to play he will waive his no trade claus to get away for the stupidity of canucks media and fans that blame him for not scoring goals in the playoffs.

Archived