The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL will Allow Teams Two Contract Buyouts for '13-'14. Who are yours?

TOMapleLaughs

Honestly, I don't think the talk about what happens if buyouts are allowed are firmly rooted in reality. People act like this is a situation that is only happening to the Canucks. Ultimately buyouts make very little sense because of the following:

High spending teams are forced to buyout good players. Those players are then expected to take a smaller paycheck to play somewhere else. Their market value is going to plummet. Bettman seems to think this means teams will then be able to scoop up a sweet deal for a capable player to replace the one they bought out. Sure, some guys are a little overpaid but the Reddens and Gomezs of the NHL are a tiny minority.

How do these buyouts work for the players ; if the team is clear of their cap hit , then :

1) Do these buyouts follow the same rules of a regular buyout. Where the player only gets a small portion of their salary over double the length of their remaining contract?

2)Do the players get their full salary?

3)Do other teams get to sign the player who have been bought out?

4) Is there a time period before other teams can sign these players and is it the length of the remaining contract?

5) Are the players that are bought out paid in full for their whole remaining contract in one lump sum?

IDK. Playing around with capgeek calculator. I see that if the cap were lowered to a pro-rated 64.3m for this season, there'd be no need to buy-out anyone. Trading one of Ballard, Booth or Luongo would get VAN under that amount.

For example, if Ballard were traded, the returning player could carry a cap hit of 1.079m this season:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)* / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Andrew Gordon ($0.538m)*

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m)*

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,235,278; BONUSES: $15,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,079,722

* players selected for low cap hits.

$1,129,722 if Booth were traded.

$2,213,055 if Luongo were traded.

So I'm thinking the buy-out option would be unnecessary.

IDK. Playing around with capgeek calculator. I see that if the cap were lowered to a pro-rated 64.3m for this season, there'd be no need to buy-out anyone. Trading one of Ballard, Booth or Luongo would get VAN under that amount.

So I'm thinking the buy-out option would be unnecessary.

There is nothing wrong with "wee" guys.

If Martin St. Louis was available on the market, everyone would be after him. :lol:

Anyway, the obsession with size is hilarious. Size doesn't mean crap if a player doesn't use it. Who cares if he is 6'4?

It seems the smaller guys tend to be the ones that play bigger too. (i.e. Burrows, Kesler) - by no means am I saying that those two are 'small' players. But they're both not 6'3 and up.

Wee guys who would fit into our team are like hens teeth. You mentioned one, there is probably Briere and Parise as well. However because of our present roster we just can't afford anyone else who is small and lacks pushback. That is all I'm saying.

And yes you can have someone like Oreo who was a giant mallow but I didn't say sign just any big/average size guy, we need the next acquisition to have physicality and pushback as well as talent.

Archived