The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I say we get a CBA within several days if at all, and then it's one of two things: a deal right away, or a deal around the start of the actual season. I'm not sure we'd hang onto him unless the CBA is so prohibitive that we can't move him or have to buy him out, but I'll guess a trade by page 23, then the boards crash and the thread hardly moves while people try and login.

Should have made a poll. Templeton, should you make a poll?

King:

"Like it or not, there probably won't be many changes to the Canucks until the Sedin's retire. Already married to too many long-term, big-money contracts that are mostly unmoveable."

Ok King let's get it rolling.

We all know a hundred times over that you put Luongo in this category, but him aside, please elaborate on who these unmoveable long term contracts are.

Elvis 15:

"Maybe we buy him [Phaneuf] out? Or there's the other suggestion of bringing back Komisarek to sweeten the deal for the Leafs so we can buy him out instead of them having to.

EDIT: for the sarcasm impaired, that was sarcasm."

+1. Loved it.

King:

"Like it or not, there probably won't be many changes to the Canucks until the Sedin's retire. Already married to too many long-term, big-money contracts that are mostly unmoveable."

Ok King let's get it rolling.

We all know a hundred times over that you put Luongo in this category, but him aside, please elaborate on who these unmoveable long term contracts are.

"Unmoveable" may have been the wrong term. What I meant was that the Canucks are filled with guys with multi-year contracts, so there's probably not going to be any large-scale changes like making a big move for a guy like Phaneuf, which was the context of the discussion.

Booth, for example, is technically "moveable", as Florida moved him to us last year, in exchange for expiring contracts. In theory, we might be able to do the same thing, if we really wanted to, and if there's another sucker out there willing to take on Booth (who's more valuable today than he was a year ago, as more of his contract has been consumed). Gillis, though, hasn't shown any urgency in moving guys with bad contracts (Ballard, Malhotra, etc.), so it's unlikely to happen.

I'm not quite clear about what exactly 101 did there, but the days immediately after the CBA will cerainly be interesting.

If there is an agreement in principle it was reached when teams weren't supposed to be discussing players.

I hope things kind of play out like this - Toronto had made a 'secret' offer that they were under the impression would land Luongo as soon as the lockout ends. The lockout ends, someone else outbids Toronto, and the Leafs wind up with the leftovers of whoever else lands Luongo. :bigblush:

I am completely convinced that if Luo gets traded he will go to a left field team that can give us a reliable goaltender

To San Jose

Luo

Higgins

3rd

To Van

Niemi

Clowe

1st

Of corse all of you homers will say we are overpaying but in reality both teams need to feel they are getting the upper hand.

SJ is more desperate than we are to keep the window open. I don't think Clowe likes SJ he constantly lays that out in interviews. He would help this team and MG would be all over locking him up.

You wanna buy out a goalie? I think neimi would be an easier buy and probably relatively easy to move when lack is ready

Higgins is awesome but Clowe is more awesome both UFA's

We give SJ short term cap relief they give us long term cap relief.

We will not get high end prospects for Luo or capspace

it will involve a money exchange. So MG can help the team now and a contender can fit Luo in.

The buy out is kind of an interesting tool. We could take a big contract from a team that cannot afford a buyout in exchange for prospects. Like a DePetro. I can't imagine what the islanders would give to unload that sucker. Not saying Luongo would be part of that but it would be another way to acquire youth rather than using Luo.

Assuming there is some kind of agreement, it could be that Gillis and Burke agreed to some basics of a deal prior to the lockout and left a few other parts up in the air pending the new CBA being signed (also not necessarily anticipating that the lockout would go on for as long as it has).

So, it might have been Luongo to Toronto for Kadri, Bozak, and a pick of some sort (this is just for example purposes only and it's a low return in my opinion). Once the CBA was signed, Gillis would know if he really needs to accept some cap back to the Canucks, and Burke would be able to add something to what is coming back to the Canucks to pay for the cap dump.

Gillis might also want to re-visit whether Bozak was part of the deal considering he'd pretty much just be a rental at this point, or Burke might want to re-think having Kadri in the deal.

Something like that perhaps is what he means? I'd also assume that this would mean that Gillis could be handcuffed if someone showed up with a better offer, unless he was willing to break this gentleman's agreement witih Burke.

regards,

G.

Archived