The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

well I will put in my 2 cents. if at this point leafs are the only option then keep them both. There is nothing in TO that i want . there young players are not good enough to land luongo. and no one can argue they are. we are a win now team no amount of second tear prospects are worth roberto luongo, he is has far more value here in win now mode. Bozak on any team not the leaf is a space filler second line center and and that's all he would be here and demoted to rd line soon enough. gardiner is good and young and decent upside but does he really help that much now? so who on the leafs could help us win a cup today? you could make an argument for Kessel but leafs are not moving him. All im saying is if we are here to win now then a trade with TO does not make us better then having Luongo as a backup in this short season with ample back to back and 4 games in six night . And only gillis & Luongo know if he can live with playing here . How bad does he really want to leave? we dont know. Maybe he was super pissed after the playoffs but can now see that we can win with the 2 of them this year.

It just gets annoying when people act high-and-mighty around here about the Canucks, and Mike Gillis, who can do absolutely no wrong to a large contingent of folks on this site.

oldnews discredits Schultz all the time, while simultaneously being irrationally excited about a guy like Tanev.

The Oilers have 5 Cups, the Canucks have 0. It's not really an organization that a Canuck fan should be talking trash to.

Cory Schneider was the 26th overall pick in 2004.

That was the cost of acquiring the goaltender who has earned the pole position in Vancouver.

Anything more than a 26th overall pick that the Canucks acquire by trade for Luongo is 'profit' or 'surplus' or whatever other material term you prefer.

Taken in another sense, to break even, all the Canucks would need to do is re-acquire Todd Bertuzzi. Any value acquired that is greater than Bertuzzi's current value is profit/surplus.

Luongo is the asset that has clearly retained a great deal more value than what the Canucks gave up.

In my opinion those are pretty good reasons to stop whining about the return.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21348/rumblings-canucks-wont-rush-luongo-trade-gomez-redden-left-to-wait

The Vancouver Canucks insist they will be patient on the Roberto Luongo trade front, regardless of what anybody thinks.

They will not make a panic trade just for the sake of moving Luongo out of town. They aren’t moving him unless they get fair value for him.

"He’s an All-Star goalie,” veteran Canucks GM Mike Gillis told ESPN.com Monday. "It’s a completely media-driven notion that we have to do this quickly and it’s going to be a terrible situation [if Luongo starts the season in Vancouver]. It wasn’t a terrible situation last year and it won’t be this year if he’s here."

The fact that new No. 1 netminder Cory Schneider has a good relationship with Luongo certainly helps things. But for Luongo’s sake, you hope this deal gets done as soon as possible, although he’s been the utmost pro about it so far.

Toronto remains the most obvious destination, and while Gillis did not want to shed any more light on the Luongo situation Monday, another NHL source told ESPN.com that the Maple Leafs and Canucks have indeed touched based with each other since Brian Burke’s firing as GM last week.

But I don’t think too much has changed. I don’t believe new Leafs GM Dave Nonis wants to overpay, despite clearly having interest in Luongo -- a star netminder he brought to Vancouver in the first place when Nonis was the Canucks' GM.

My understanding is that the Canucks’ asking price is an established NHL player plus a high-end prospect. In Toronto’s case, I believe that prospect is Nazem Kadri, and that’s a player I don’t think Toronto is willing to move at this point. That could change, of course.

But the reason Vancouver needs an NHL player as well in the deal is underlined by the injury to Ryan Kesler. The Canucks are thin right now at center. Whether it’s a guy like Tyler Bozak or another skater, Vancouver would need an established NHL body from the Leafs in any deal.

Toronto hasn’t given up on goalie James Reimer, either. I think the Maple Leafs want to see how he does out of the gates before deciding whether or not they need to make a goalie move. The risk in that, at least from the Luongo point of view, is that perhaps other NHL teams ramp up their interest in Luongo either because of injury or poor play from their goalie.

And by the way, whichever team gets Luongo is getting a netminder that remains among the top-10 elite netminders in the NHL, in my mind. And he’ll be a motivated one, too.

TSN's That's Hockey 2 just had a tidbit on both Goc & Gudbranson getting suspended, so I looked into it and came across this:

Goc and Gudbranson are day-to-day while Bergenheim's still a mystery

By Harvey Fialkov

Sun Sentinel

1:32 p.m. EST, January 14, 2013

Panthers GM Dale Tallon gave an update on the injured players and also surprised us by saying that along with Erik Gudbranson still being suspended for sustaining his shoulder injury while wakeboarding, center Marcel Goc is also on suspension because he got hurt while playing in Germany during the lockout.

Goc, who the Sun Sentinel learned sustained a sprained ankle, is day-to-day and moving well around the training complex where he's receiving treatment. Gudbranson is also day to day while he strengthens his surgically repaired shoulder.

However, Bergenheim, who came home early from Finland where its believed he reaggravated his chronic groin issues, still needs to undergo an MRI before the team will announce his status. He wasn't in camp Monday because he attended the funeral of Dominic Moore's wife, Katie, who tragically passed away last week from cancer. Moore played 48 games for the Panthers in the 2009-10 season. Bergenheim hasn't skated in several weeks so his status seems far more serious than Gudbranson's or Goc.

Rookie left wing Jonathan Huberdeau missed his second straight day of skating with minor nicks. The X-rays were negative so Tallon says he'll be back on the ice on Tuesday. Tallon said that negotiations to re-sign defenseman Dmitry Kulikov are ongoing and that its in the capable hands of assistant GM Mike Santos.

Coach Kevin Dineen was happy to finally be allowed to get on the ice with his players after being barred on Sunday because the CBA prohibits coaches to supervise his players on the same day of physicals. Dineen said that with the injuries, AHL call-ups Mike Caruso and Alex Petrovic have a chance to crack the opening-night lineup.

There also might be a spot or two for forwards with veteran invitees Kovalev and Marek Svatosfrontrunners for those spots. That said, if Drew Shore or Jonathan Rheault excel in this abbreviated minicamp and especially in Wednesday night's intrasquad scrimmage at Saveology.com Iceplex, they could get a long look.

Dineen wants more out of defenseman Tyson Strachan, who opted to play in San Antonio during the lockout, but got injured and was out the past few weeks.

Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Briere

Hansen Schroeder Burrows

Higgins Malholtra Lapierre

Raymond, Ebbett

PP1: Sedin Sedin Kesler Edler Garrison

PP2 Hansen Briere Burrows Bieksa Hamhuis

He could also play center while Kesler is gone, then move to the wing.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Briere Higgins

Hansen Schroeder Burrows

Raymond Malholtra Lapierre

Weise, Ebbett

Kassian takes Kesler's net front on the 1st PP.

That was the cost of acquiring the goaltender who has earned the pole position in Vancouver.

Anything more than a 26th overall pick that the Canucks acquire by trade for Luongo is 'profit' or 'surplus' or whatever other material term you prefer.

Taken in another sense, to break even, all the Canucks would need to do is re-acquire Todd Bertuzzi. Any value acquired that is greater than Bertuzzi's current value is profit/surplus.

Luongo is the asset that has clearly retained a great deal more value than what the Canucks gave up.

Except the million and millions spent on contracts and developing. You can go draft a player but it will take years to develop and still might not amount to nothing. Weber was drafted in the 2nd rd, lets trade them a first for him, it's better, Nashville would be happy.

No, that is not how it works. Draft position does not eternally determine a player's value. In fact, once 5 years have passed it would be only a minor factor if relevant at all. After flipping a 2nd for Weber, shall we trade a 7th for Datsyuk? Why didn't the Oilers trade one of the three consecutive 1st overall selections for Crosby?

And nor does historic trade value determine a player's value. That's why Gillis would laugh at the offer of Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld for Luongo.

A player's value is determined by performance and the going market value for that performance by that kind of player (e.g. goalie, first line forward, bottom-6 forward, offensive defensive, etc).

Schneider's development has made him far more valuable than a low first round pick. Luongo's consistent success means he has retained a high trade value. Who cares where they were drafted, or what their historic trade value may have been?

Gillis is playing this smart. We are in a good position having 2 capable starters in a shortened season. Why rush a deal that won't give us the best deal at this very moment? What about if a good teams starter goes down within the first couple weeks of the season? There will be more injuries this season for sure. We have a chance 2 win every night with these 2, so why not keep it going until the right deal comes along and some other team gets desperate.. Even if LU is here for a month or 2 he would have already alleviated so much pressure from Cory because he wouldn't of had to play almost every single game. As I said before both of these guys give us the best chance to win every night.

I still believe luongo will get traded at the deadline or in the summer..

Except I'm not talking about trading Schneider - and your point about amounting to nothing wouldn't really seem to apply.

Nor would the millions spent on contracts (and 'development'), which are more than made up for in the significant revenues that return to teams like Vancouver because of players like Luongo and Schneider.

Luongo wasn't developed in Vancouver. He was acquired for Bertuzzi essentially - a guy whose career was in the lurch, and whose production dropped off entirely after leaving Vancouver. I'm not sure you got the point. Luongo's been here six years, and is still worth what the Canucks gave up to acquire him. There is really no potential 'loss' here.

Do you get the feeling like AV is definitely planning to have someone else in the 2C spot by Saturday? He's not REALLY going to play Schroeder or Ebbett there, is he?

I think you would move Lapierre or Higgins there if you really expected the spot to remain vacant until Kesler comes back. I think the fact that they're practicing on the third line says that someone better will be there come Saturday.

I sure hope it's not Bozak (unless he was the throw in with Gardiner, rather than the centrepiece).

Archived