The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Thanks RUPERTKBD - I didn't see that.   It's one of those "quotes" that automatically make one think that it's coming from RDS - a lost in translation situation - where people are taking the liberty of paraphrasing very loosely and freely.  As if Luongo is going to do a 180 degree at this point and start declaring counterproductive things like that.  He's much more media savvy.

I agree with this. Gudbranson is one of those guys that's probably overhyped due to him being 6'5". No offensive abilities at all. Probably projects to a middle-pairing defensive-type (like Bryan Allen).

Don't get me wrong; if we could get him from FLA, it would be a good move by Gillis. But it's not really a guy that would excite me, nor is it someone who would help us materially this year.

On the Leafs, there were only four players who faced a weaker quality of competition than Gardiner. Lombardi, who is just plain terrible and managed their worst relative corsi and worst +/- neverthelss, Armstrong (3 points and -8 in 29 games) , Rosehill (no points and -4 in 31 games, and Phillipe Dupuis (no points and -2 in 30 games).

There was ony one player on the Leafs with a higher percentage of offensive zone starts (Jay Rosehill).

His relative corsi - relative to the rest of the Leafs that is - was an unimpressive 2.6 - and he was a -2 despite the 56% offensive zone starts, weak competition, and opportune situational play.

That imo is the overhyped asset.

I'm not saying he isn't a good young player - what I'm saying he is certainly not an untouchable; his defensive play is uninspiring, and it's premature to say the least to be pencilling him in as the next Brian Leetch. Luongo is relatively guaranteed impact player - Gardiner has situational, opportune numbers that have people getting carried away. Luongo is the more valuable asset, hands down. If Gardiner lives up to the hype (which will be challenging playing with other Leafs lol) he might be worth as much as Luongo, years from now.

And the first signs of Roberto being annoyed by all of this have appeared. Notice how he also said "willing", and not "fine", or "happy", like it's some sort of chore/payback to the franchise to stay here for this year. It also puts a deadline on Gillis' time to keep him; basically this 1/2 season, and that's it. Think that makes the buyers feel pressure to acquire him? Umm, nope.

Not going to work out well.

hahaha watching you 2 debate is like watching don and gary dig their heels in and get no where. When he said "i agree with this" on gudbranson i immediatly thought about the first time they started gaining some ground in the cba negotiations.

Now is where you say that you and king are very close on luongo evaluations, only to have king call up canuckshd and have him film him shaking furiously saying you are lying and threaten to shut down the cdc season.

Lu won't be going to Philly. And like I've been saying in reality Snyder won't pay $27 mill to buy out Bryz. Only kids on CDC think $27 mill is chump change.

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has a vote of confidence from team owner Ed Snider.

Just days after reports surfaced that the Flyers have made inquiries about Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo, Snider was asked by Philly.com about his goaltending situation heading into the shortened season.

"I think we're in good shape in goal. I have a lot of faith in Bryzgalov," said Snider. "I think he'll do a real good job for us. I'm not concerned."

The 32-year-old goalie was 33-16-7 with six shutouts in 59 games during his first season with the Flyers last year. He was 5-6 in the playoffs with a goals against average of 3.46 and a save percentage of .887.

"I think a lot of his problems had to do with the different style we played as opposed to Phoenix, and I really believe we'll probably tighten it up a bit to help him out," added Snider.

"And I think he's a damn good goalie."

Luongo trade rumours have been rampant since the goalie said last spring that he wouldn't stand in the way of a trade out of Vancouver. The two destinations most mentioned in trade talks involving the veteran goalie are the Toronto Maple Leafs and Florida Panthers, but the Flyers' name came up this week as well.

But but Luongo's term.... so overplayed. If the Canucks didn't have Schneider, Luongo's term would never have entered the discussion - no one here would be complaining about his term. No team without a Schneider - in other words, a whole lot of teams - would complain about having Luongo on their roster locked up at a reasonable cap hit for the next half a decade. His 'contract' is an overstated contradiction among those contriving ways to pretend he doesn't have trade value.

Archived