The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I don't know Smashian. I wasn't literally talking about moving every last player on the Leafs roster - so keep Gardiner if you will (I'd probably keep players like Grabovski and MacArthur) - but imo some of the best trades generally involve moving an over-rated player for an under-rated player - and therefore Phaneuf and Kessel would be the very first players I'd start with.

I agree, that's what I ment, obviously I don't know the situation and if Nonis isn't offering enough or we are asking for too much but if I had to bet I would say it's the 2nd one.

aslong as the deal is fair, we might need to step up and make it sooner rather than later.

Yea, and everyone will have a different view of what's fair. But my view is that if we don't at least get a roster player, a top prospect, and a pick, we're getting ripped off.

Whether it's a top roster player and a mid-range prospect, or a high end prospect and an average roster player. We need to get some value now and for the future.

I'm not sure that if Kadri is the best prospect we can get now if I wanna make that trade. I just don't see how putting a player so similar to Hodgson in the third line role won't lead to the exact same situation in a couple years (no room for him to move up). And is he really a giant upgrade over Schroeder at this point? It's hard to say.

The more I think about it, the more I think Florida is the best trading partner.

They're a team with a lot of young prospects that are building right now, but they've got salary issues. In order to re-sign Kulikov, they're going to have to dole out another 3 million or more most likely.

That would mean they're going to have to shed some more salary, especially if they're interested in Luongo.

I could see them offering us the best package, on the condition that we take back a large amount of salary. But since we have Kesler on LTIR, we can afford to do that, and simply buy out whatever salary they send us. (if ownership is willing to)

Hey; who is over rated on the Canucks, honestly? For better or worse all guys get called out with playing time by AV. We have the ultimate bullshort detector...

Only Lou; who was the highest paid player in the league in our cup year, maybe Burrows or Edler? And they're still good players!

Toronto???

I don't know Smashian. I wasn't literally talking about moving every last player on the Leafs roster - so keep Gardiner if you will (I'd probably keep players like Grabovski and MacArthur) - but imo some of the best trades generally involve moving an over-rated player for an under-rated player - and therefore Phaneuf and Kessel would be the very first players I'd start with.

Of course it was 7 years ago. So what? Luongo had another very good year last year. You keep saying he's gonna tank (too old), but he's been doing the job consistently well for a decade. I don't see him dropping the ball in the next 5-7 years, and I doubt Nonis does either. He's certainly a proven upgrade on their arena-sized question marks in Reimer and whoever the next "phenom" is supposed to be.

Sure it would. They're not stupid. If you were a Leaf fan, would you rather acquire Luongo and fight for the 8th seed, only to get trounced in the 1st round by Boston, or would you rather roll the dice and hope to accumulate some franchise players through the draft like Edmonton has?

Do you really think that most Leaf fans feel that they're a Roberto Luongo away from contending for a Stanley Cup?

Right, and know that you essentially gave up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel, who will end up wasting his best years as a Leaf on a rebuild?

No, no I would not be happy with that. And any Leaf fan that is, is an idiot.

I say add a few pieces, try and squeek into the playoffs like the kings did, and hope Luongo catches fire. There's less of a gamble there, then counting on some future prospects that may or may not ever pan out. Who's to say Nonis is any better at building a team than Burke was?

Sure it would. They're not stupid. If you were a Leaf fan, would you rather acquire Luongo and fight for the 8th seed, only to get trounced in the 1st round by Boston, or would you rather roll the dice and hope to accumulate some franchise players through the draft like Edmonton has?

Do you really think that most Leaf fans feel that they're a Roberto Luongo away from contending for a Stanley Cup?

The majority of fans don't know enough about hockey business to be happy with losing now to win later. People want their team to make the playoffs, and that's why teams make so much money in the playoffs, cause all the fringe fans come out.

No fan base wants to endure a rebuild, whether it's the right move or not.

Archived