• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Templeton Peck

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

3,456 posts in this topic

How would people feel about this trade with Florida:

To Van:

Jovanovski (salary dump)

Goc

Clemmensen

Petrovic or Howden

2nd round pick

To Florida:

Luongo

Raymond

Making our playoff lineup:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Goc Hansen

Weise Malhotra Lapierre

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Jovo

Schneider

Clemmensen

If they won't give up Bjugstad or Huberdeau, then a roster player, a first and a 2nd tier prospect like Howden or Petrovic

Florida accepts that deal laughing. I fail to see how we improve at all in this deal..

So many wrong in that deal, for one, it has no centerpiece to it.

Jovo is 36 years old with 2 years left at 4.1m, the last thing MG should do is get another overpaid defenceman from Florida.

Goc's career high is 30 points, has never played a full season and never reached 15 goals. He's making 1.2m.

Clemmensen is a dime a dozen goaltender, i'd rather pick up Irving from waivers.

MG wont trade for Howden because it makes the Ballard deal look worse.

Basically we give them 2 NHL players and took their scraps and salary dump.

If they won't give up Bjugstad or Huberdeau, then a roster player, a first and a 2nd tier prospect like Howden or Petrovic

With Florida re-signing Kulikov and Kovalev coming over to fill a spot (apparently he's signing a 1yr deal), i can picture Tallon more willing to act on a Luongo deal now. Also picture multiple pieces being involved.

But likely teams will be in a holding pattern until something caves. A slow start by either the Canucks or Panthers would add pressure to make a move. So who starts slower?

Luo

Goc, Upshall, Petrovic,1st.

Things have changed since the draft and with injuries - I'm not sure the target is as fixed on young center prospect.

I'd take a good two way tweener center like Goc - I like his game - and a contract like Upshall's that Florida might want to move, while at the same time a guy who could be a valuable roster player.

I've wanted Petrovic since the Luongo rumours started - I think he's the type of player we need in the pool - and as you mention - a 1st could be as or more valuable than an existing prospect.

I'd also offer them a pick or prospect for Clemenson if they see fit.

When you get panic attacks does your groin cramp up?

Or are we talking about two fundamentally different things here? Being nervous, performing in highly intense conditions for hours and getting a cramp is not a "panic attack" imo. If I had a dollar for every time I saw an athlete get a cramp near the end of a game I'd have a car load of loonies.

So lets say they dont want to give up Huberdeau/Gudbranson/Kulikov/Bjugstad.

----

To Vancouver:

- Matthias (800k RFA)

- 1st 2013

To Florida:

- Luongo

- Malhotra

- Rodin/Schroeder

----

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

So lets say they dont want to give up Huberdeau/Gudbranson/Kulikov/Bjugstad.

----

To Vancouver:

- Matthias (800k RFA)

- 1st 2013

To Florida:

- Luongo

- Malhotra

- Rodin/Schroeder

----

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Well it's more of a realistic deal than most of the ones I've seen.

We're not getting Gardiner, Gudbranson, or Huberdeau. Those are pipe dreams.

Toronto looks like they're out of the Luongo running now. They'll probably end up going the rebuild root under Nonis. So Florida might be our last realistic trading partner.

In order to make a deal with them, we have to take back salary. I see so many deals where we trade Luongo and barely get back any salary. That's a very unlikely scenario. Teams are scared by Luongo's long term contract whether Gillis will admit it or not.

Goc is a third liner who can put up 30+ points and win faceoffs while shutting down the other teams top lines. Exactly what this team needed ever since Malhotra had his injury. He's an underrated player. And Clemmesen is more than an average backup. He had great numbers for Florida last season.

Petrovic is Florida's best prospect after Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Bjugstad. He adds alot to the deal. Having him with a 1st or 2nd round pick would go a long way for this teams future. Plus we get roster players that would help us now.

Sure I would like it to be more, but I'm not expecting us to get a bunch of top prospects and picks. It just seems unlikely at this point. I think the best we can hope for is a couple roster players that help us now, plus a top prospect and a pick to help us in the future.

I think if anyone can afford to give us a first it would be Florida. They are so stacked with prospects, I would really try to get their first if they aren't willing to budge on bjugstad..

luongo, sauve, sweatt

for

goc, shore, petrovic, clemmenson

we get a good 2 way 3rd line center who is signed next year aswell, and 2 fairly decent prospects. Id say shore would be our best forward prospect right near schroeder, and petrovic is right around or just above connauton. half decent back up aswell

As someone who's had panic attacks, that's spooks the hell out of me. Maybe Luongo is the way to go, but who knows?

Why would they do that because they can "afford" to? Florida isn't in the business of doing favours for the Vancouver Canucks, which our last two trades with them should be support for.

The reality is that Gillis appears to be asking for far more than what any team is willing to pay - otherwise, and obviously, this deal would already be done. I have no idea how Gillis expects the offers to get better, with time, but that's just my opinion. Point is that what people can "afford" to give away is not relevant. Gillis is playing the "patient" card, and I think it'll backfire.

Kadri is bigger and a talent, but not as dynamic as Hodgson. I suppose we could make that work?

I suggest go with work rate; Biggs is a lock 3rd line RW and possibly has the talent to be top 6? Get MacArthur, same reason, but helps RIGHT now (and gives TO more cap relief). As we get no bonafide blue chippers > a conditional first in this years draft if TO makes the play off's, next if they don't.The first is the real return for Lou! Lou could have walked 2 years ago, if we get a first and two lockdown hard nosed guys???

Why would they do that because they can "afford" to? Florida isn't in the business of doing favours for the Vancouver Canucks, which our last two trades with them should be support for.

The reality is that Gillis appears to be asking for far more than what any team is willing to pay - otherwise, and obviously, this deal would already be done. I have no idea how Gillis expects the offers to get better, with time, but that's just my opinion. Point is that what people can "afford" to give away is not relevant. Gillis is playing the "patient" card, and I think it'll backfire.

There are a lot of options with Kessel. They could trade him, for one. Another option would be to hang onto him and hope that they'd be able to sign a guy like Getzlaf as a UFA in the off-season (lots of cap space), which would totally change their team.

Kadri is more dynamic than Hodgson???

Can't bite there. CoHo looks like he's starting the season as the Sabre's top line pivot. And for all the critique he got hurt 3 years ago getting in the work; and his recovery was cued by going at it even harder (but smarter). Sum; he's got the work rate! I'm not betting any money that Kadri outperforms a guy who plain works harder.

Kadri is an unmistakeable talent, but an upgrade on Wellwood not a core player until he proves that work ethic. He'll either be a steal or a bust and has more upside than Biggs. But the Canucks can really use a RW that does what he does, and TO still has Ashton as a prospect at that position. On an AV team that does not reward lack of effort I could see Bigg's being better for us and available?

edit; funny > I was also turned on to Bigg's 3 or 4 months ago (I am sure by yourself) and I started watching and became a fan. But it was in a response to one of my posts, asking for an alternate to Kadri, suggesting TO could not afford to give up a young centre when we all knew Connolly and others would not be around come 2013/14.

I think offensively Kadri is more dynamic, and he is faster & more mobile which adds another dynamic, Hodgson is a bit more defensive minded although he hasn't shown it much at this level yet, they are probably equally dynamic, Kadri is ready to step in and play too, we could really use him on the 2nd line,

So McArthur, Biggs, conditional 1st round pick (if McArthur walks?)

Not bad, I think they would be hesitant to give up biggs though, I think we could get the same deal with Kadri expect make the pick a conditional 2nd.