The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I think offensively Kadri is more dynamic, and he is faster & more mobile which adds another dynamic, Hodgson is a bit more defensive minded although he hasn't shown it much at this level yet, they are probably equally dynamic, Kadri is ready to step in and play too, we could really use him on the 2nd line,

theres a new draft lottery system now, I dont think Florida will get in the playoff even with Luongo in net. They played well over their heads last season and Garrison being a top shutdown Dman for them also helped.

That 1st could be a top 5 pick or a 1st overall if were lucky.

Matthias is everything we need in a 3rd line centre, good checker, big, young and fights.

Malhotra is a UFA by the end of the season thats why i threw in Rodin or Schroeder in there as a bait.

I love these Toronto media guys who act like Kadri and Bozak is too high a price for Luongo, everyone is saying Gillis is asking too much (which is the most likely scenerio) but perhaps the other teams are just low balling, Toronto in particular.

I know Kadri and Bozak together won't happen since they have no depth, but the I just can't believe people think the value their in that package is too much to trade for Lu.

Lu's contract is just way way to huge to take on for any team to give up any quality players for him!! MG buried any chance of getting anything for him in return. Lest we forget it's at least 5.5 million per year for the next ten years and that's if he plays them out. It gets even worse if he retires, lets say, when he's 40. Way to go MG. I wonder how long it will be that Lu can stand bein' a backup to PA (panic attack) Boy!!!.......

It isn't so much the value of Kadri and Bozak as it is that albatross of a contract that Lu is carrying around his neck every time a team shows interest in him. With 10 years left on it MG should be beggin' the Leafs to take it off his hands and forget tryin' to get players he has no hope of getting. Remember, MG is not the most popular GM in the league so if he thinks he can con anyone into Lu's contract then he needs to be a player agent again!!.....

Lu's contract is just way way to huge to take on for any team to give up any quality players for him!! MG buried any chance of getting anything for him in return. Lest we forget it's at least 5.5 million per year for the next ten years and that's if he plays them out. It gets even worse if he retires, lets say, when he's 40. Way to go MG. I wonder how long it will be that Lu can stand bein' a backup to PA (panic attack) Boy!!!.......

i agree. I dont buy the argument that schneider is going to cry himself to sleep every night Lu is still here.

my only concern is if Lu sucks this year.. if that happens then i guess we can expect one of king's ridiculous devaluations to become reality.. untill that happens we are in good shape

It isn't so much the value of Kadri and Bozak as it is that albatross of a contract that Lu is carrying around his neck every time a team shows interest in him. With 10 years left on it MG should be beggin' the Leafs to take it off his hands and forget tryin' to get players he has no hope of getting. Remember, MG is not the most popular GM in the league so if he thinks he can con anyone into Lu's contract then he needs to be a player agent again!!.....

Well as objective as you can be on most issues; your single minded bias against Hodgson is as obvious as King's bias against pretty much anything u have to say?

More grit by virtue of more size perhaps, and yes a better skater; but neither could be classified in the same cast of grit as Burrows. Or Bolland??? Oh well...

I recall Bolland taking on the Twins as a 3C and doing a damn fine job? The balance of your assessment on Chicago is why they run with their horses, plus those horses are young. Hossa's concussion aside, they seem pretty capable of logging big minutes. I think they have a bit of youth they could lose on D, pick up Lou, add a balancing move and come out quite a threat. Sharp, Toews, Kane and Hossa, Kieth and Seabrook are good enough they deserve an honest move or 2 to give them a crack at winning.

My only problem is if we pick up Nick Leddy, we also need further moves to make room for him.

A third party team who needs a left D and has a promising centre or RW would help a lot!

I'd take Kadri over Hodgson myself. Neither is really my kind of player, but imo Kadri has more grit, is a better skater, and has as much offensive upside.

I can't imagine Kadri being less defensively minded lol.

Don't tell anyone I said this, but I think Kadri will make a decent NHLer - my reasons behind not being interested in a deal that includes him is that I simply see him as a poor fit in Vancouver - not a two way 3rd line C type, not really the kind of physical presence I'd want out of a top 6 winger...and if he's not top 6, he's not worth the asking price. I think Schroeder would make a better 3rd line C, and most people are still looking to upgrade...

But just as an aside for those so worried about the Canucks centers - you might want to have a look at a team like Chicago. Beyond Toews, it looks like this:

Bolland

Kruger

Pirri

I wouldn't want to roll with that - even when healthy. Beyond them, they move Shaw to C? Another mini C?

Toews aside, they are all lightweights. Bolland is the biggest of them at 184 lbs.

Their top prospect C is 165lbs...

They are going to get manhandled down low. Some people consider that team a goaltender short of being a contender - I think they're extremely top heavy - once you get outside their top 5 or 6 players, they are average at best.

Great entertainment value - watching the Hockeycentral season preview.

How often do you get so many great hockey minds assembled in one cast? Shannon, Maclean....and Cox! Crrrream of the crop.

Bad news though - Cox says the latest - Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd - is too much - Nonis not going to do that.

Now what are the Canucks going to do?

But then again, Cox says that if it was up to Carlyle, he'd be saying 'go out and get me a real goalie!'

Man, that Cox guy's got one tight polka face!

Keenan - you don't trade Luongo unlessl you get an offer you can't refuse. Two aces in the pocket.

Other voices of reason - why the hell would Luongo want to go to Toronto?

Everyone but Cox is laughing at the Leafs prospects of making the playoffs.

How is Carlyle going to make two way players out of Phaneuf and Kadri?

Luo - Hey Mike, I really want to do what's best for the team, but please, don't ask me to play in front of that blueline and a bunch of people wearing paper bags.

Mike - Luo, I hear you. Believe me, I hear you. I understand completely. And Luo to be honest, they have nothing worth sending you there for.

Luo - Thanks. And Mike... Their media is really getting on my nerves.

Mike - Word Luo. Let's mess with them. Use them, dangle you, toy with them - between you and I - watch them work it - and... it's never gonna happen hahaha!

Luo - Yeah - hey, "I've been dealt!" haha

Mike - Yeah, you'll get the Laffs alright Lou - the last laughs ahahaha!

Great entertainment value - watching the Hockeycentral season preview.

How often do you get so many great hockey minds assembled in one cast? Shannon, Maclean....and Cox! Crrrream of the crop.

Bad news though - Cox says the latest - Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd - is too much - Nonis not going to do that.

Now what are the Canucks going to do?

But then again, Cox says that if it was up to Carlyle, he'd be saying 'go out and get me a real goalie!'

Man, that Cox guy's got one tight polka face!

Keenan - you don't trade Luongo unlessl you get an offer you can't refuse. Two aces in the pocket.

Other voices of reason - why the hell would Luongo want to go to Toronto?

Everyone but Cox is laughing at the Leafs prospects of making the playoffs.

How is Carlyle going to make two way players out of Phaneuf and Kadri?

Luo - Hey Mike, I really want to do what's best for the team, but please, don't ask me to play in front of that blueline and a bunch of people wearing paper bags.

Mike - Luo, I hear you. Believe me, I hear you. I understand completely. And Luo to be honest, they have nothing worth sending you there for.

Luo - Thanks. And Mike... Their media is really getting on my nerves.

Mike - Word Luo. Let's mess with them. Use them, dangle you, toy with them - between you and I - watch them work it - and... it's never gonna happen hahaha!

Luo - Yeah - hey, "I've been dealt!" haha

Mike - Yeah, you'll get the Laffs alright Lou - the last laughs ahahaha!

Well if they stay the course; they're gunna take a couple of kicks in the Nard's! :ph34r:

But really; nobody is wrong here. If TO had traded Kadri and Bozak they would have been up the wahoo at centre ice. It would have been a dumb trade IMO. And they're terrible at defence, despite some good players. They need to compliment those guys without giving up anyone; unless they can pull off a very good D for D trade. But it rules out a D for Lou. And if they're up a creek at the NHL level, how could they afford to give up their best prospects at those positions?

All that makes sense is some combination of wing and prayer, I mean prospect (on wing).

Are we interested in MacArthur, Brigg's, Ashton? If it were your team would you put someone else up on offer?

When it comes to a Luongo deal, the Leafs best (two way and dollar for dollar) assets are their LWs and their top line center imo. The Leafs have no real depth in the areas the Canucks need. If they want to build from the goaltender out, use the parts where they mispent - Kessel - and their most over-rated asset - Phaneuf - to retool on the go. Use part of the return from those deals to get their goaltender.

:shock: So u reckon Kessel of Phaneuf is potentially coming back for Lou?

Or at least for someone...?

I must admit, as unpopular as it would be for TO its probably smart. Rebuilding has a potential to have a quick turnaround.

If I'm TO I'm investigating what I can get for Kessel. Unless (and I don't watch TO enough) Phaneuf is too slow, I'm inclined to think he still needs to be part of the equation. That team will completely tank if they lose Phaneuf. Gardiner, Liles and Komisarek individually are too small or too slow. TO may be willing to rebuild, but to blow it up?

Are you asking me if it were my team would I offer someone else?

Nonis has his work cut out for him with a bunch of UFAs, young goaltenders, and a porous blueline.

At this point, an impatient fan base and owners that want playoff revenues are not going to want a real rebuild.

So imo the wing would be (moving) Kessel and the prayer would be trying to get an overpayment for Phaneuf. It it were my team, I wouldn't have built it around Phaneuf and Kessel - I'd start right there and convert their value into a different kind of Leafs core. Imo they can't afford not to give those guys up - but the right deals could make them better immediately. They need to pull a Holmgren and swing veteran for volume youth deals like the Richards, Carter (and Nash) deals.

When it comes to a Luongo deal, the Leafs best (two way and dollar for dollar) assets are their LWs and their top line center imo. The Leafs have no real depth in the areas the Canucks need. If they want to build from the goaltender out, use the parts where they mispent - Kessel - and their most over-rated asset - Phaneuf - to retool on the go. Use part of the return from those deals to get their goaltender.

Archived