The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

You fundamentally misunderstood. I didn't say building a team through the draft doesn't work. What I said is it that is that the NHL has changed the draft to reduce the reward for tanking - what I said i that doesn't work that way anymore King - any team that misses the playoffs can now walk off with the first overall pick. Tanking for the first pick isn't much of a strategy anymore.

I would say that even OUR media has been negotiating for Toronto, albeit indirectly.

I think their media has created such a storm of "Luongo is worth nothing more than our spare parts" that guys like Botchford and MacIntyre have picked up on Bozak and Kadri as a potential/sufficient return.

I still don't believe that Gillis would ever have accepted that crap offer for a star goaltender; however, we've heard it so much that it's almost FACT (as reported by MacIntyre) that was the deal. Further, we've heard it so much that we've gotten used to the idea and losing perspective on what a crap offer it really is.

I still think the answer to Lu in TO could be Phaneuf. I actually think Dion would fit in just fine here. He wouldn't be in a leadership position. We'd get back our RH point-shot that we lost with Salo, and toughen up our 2nd pairing considerably. But will TO do it? Doubt it.

Say what you want about Eklund, but he was the first to report the deal that ended up resolving the lockout, and earlier today he started the Luongo frenzy with an early morning warning that it was going to heat up today. Better than no rumours, I suppose. He is a valid source per the sticky.

The new draft lottery is just like the NBAs. It's not like they take any non-playoff teams, put them in a hat, and draw 1 - 14. Not at all.

Whoever finishes last has a high probability of the 1st overall pick, with their worst case being I think either the 3rd or the 4th overall. Not much has changed and the system still definitely encourages/rewards tanking.

Yeah, Dreger has to tone it down, he's now the GM's cousin. He used to only be the Assistant GM's cousin so there was another layer of separation. WAYYYY too obvious now (like it wasn't before!).

Unfortunately, as you said, Cox is just absolutely intolerable (at least with anything regarding the Canucks).

All the teams that miss the playoffs will have their balls in the lottery King.

The worst team in the NBA has not won the lottery in recent history.

Last year the Hornets won while Washington was the worst team.

The year before Cleveland won while Minnesota was the worst team.

The year before that Washington won while Minnesota, New Jersey and Sacramento were worse.

The year before the Clippers won while the Kings were the worst team.

The year before that the Bulls won despite 8 teams having worse records....

The year before that Portland won despite 6 teams having worse records...

The year before the Raptors won despite 4 teams having worse records....

we can't expect another team, no matter who they are, to give any depth players when Lu is saddled with that hurrendous contract/cap hit, especially when the cap is lowered from the present 70 million to 64 Million, for the next 10 years. TO is not gonna sacrifice their future for Lu and eat that contract at the same time!!! This whole gong show is gonna keep going until Lu decides he's had enough of being a backup and demands a trade (rightfully so) or just simply pulls a Bure and quits playing for them!!! Right now the biggest negative in a possible Luongo deal is that contract. Way to go MG!!!!.......

we can't expect another team, no matter who they are, to give any depth players when Lu is saddled with that hurrendous contract/cap hit, especially when the cap is lowered from the present 70 million to 64 Million, for the next 10 years. TO is not gonna sacrifice their future for Lu and eat that contract at the same time!!! This whole gong show is gonna keep going until Lu decides he's had enough of being a backup and demands a trade (rightfully so) or just simply pulls a Bure and quits playing for them!!! Right now the biggest negative in a possible Luongo deal is that contract. Way to go MG!!!!.......

And whoever finished worst would've ended up picking 2nd or 3rd. So do you think Toronto would be crushed over having to choose Nate MacKinnon over Seth Jones, or vice versa? Hardly.

So your recommendation to them is to trade the 25 year-old 30-goal scorer and the 27 year-old cornerstone d-man for "prospect depth", then trade two of your pre-existing high-end prospects (Kadri, Biggs, Gardiner, whoever) to Vancouver for their 34 year-old backup goaltender?

From the "News" thread:

GILLIS RIPS MAPLE LEAFS, TORONTO MEDIA FOR PROPAGATING THE NOTION THAT THE CANUCKS HAVE "ASKED FOR TOO MUCH" IN A LUONGO TRADE

"Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want. The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's' not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

"I don't care, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen in the first two weeks of this season. If you start giving all-star players away you'll be at the bottom of this league in a hurry. So we have two really good goalies, I don't know what's going to happen with others team - players might not play well, there may be injuries that they have at that position which may change the landscape. But as it sits today, we need to get something in return that is going to help our team and we're not in the business of just helping other teams so...

I'm comfortable with both these guys starting the season here, I'll be comfortable if we finish the season with them. If something happens and comes our way that allows us to improve, then we're going to do it. And it's all subject to Luongo wanting to go to that city. So, it is a little bit more complicated than people like to think but we feel very comfortable with where we sit today with our goalies."

Archived