The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I disagree about T-Bay, and I have since this thing started.

Other than Stamkos and Hedman, the core of the team is not really all that young. Vinny, Marty, Ohlie, Malone, Eric Brewer, Matt Carle....and now they add Sami Salo....

As D-Money says, it's extremely optimistic to say that Lindback will turn out to be a solid starter. Right now, their only other option is Mathieu Garon.

Considering the improvements made in Carolina, the Lightning could easily find themselves on the outside looking in once again, unless they can somehow improve on their 30th best GAA.

If only someone had a bona fide starter available....

Gillis needs to just come out to the media and say he's not going to trade Luongo this season. Even if it's not true. Team's will still make inquiries, and that's all that matters. Get the media out of it though.

Otherwise him and Luongo are going to contantly get bombarded with trade questions all season.

I would be happy with that too. It's starting to look like that may be true anyways though.

I find it ironic that all the Toronto media has been doing is talking about Luongo to the Leafs since the offseason, and yet now they're saying that the Canucks are overvaluing him?

Gee, seems like they were pretty desperate for a goaltender. Just not willing to pay the price I guess.

everyone on here is saying the same thing. Other teams are supposed to give up their best players for one goaltender + take on his over-inflated contract. When this team is sitting in 10th or 11th place come playoff time we'll be saying that maybe we shouldn't have been so greedy. Remember one thing, it was MG who caused this whole Luongo gong show by signing him to 12 years @ 65 million dollars so now when Lu wants out and doesn't wanna be a backup it's that same MG driven contact that is keeping other teams from paying his dream world price for Roberto, who, in all honesty has yet to prove himself in the playoffs. NO ONE is gonna pay the price for Lu that MG is asking unless MG is willing to eat at least 75% of Roberto's contract and all the delusions of grandeur that we are posting on here is gonna change that fact!!! Roberto is way to expensive...

A lil misunderstanding. The teams not all that young. They do have a couple young guys coming up. They arent full of young guys but they are a team that is coming up. what I was trying to get across was that they'd be more interested in Schneider.

When asked to address the possibility that the team was looking for too much in return for Luongo, Gillis fired back.

"Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want," said Gillis.

"The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

When asked if a potential deal with Toronto is "dead" as some have reported, Gillis noted that things can change.

"I don't care, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen in the first two weeks of this season," Gillis remarked. "If you start giving all-star players away, you'll be at the bottom of this league in a real hurry. So we have two really good goalies, I don't know what's going to happen with other teams - players might not play well, there may be injuries that they have at that position which may change the landscape. But as it sits today, we need to get something in return that is going to help our team and we're not in the business of just helping other teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413886

Here's looking at you Burke, Nonis, John Shannon, Damien Cox and the rest of the Toronto Media.

Gillis 1 - Leafs 0

everyone on here is saying the same thing. Other teams are supposed to give up their best players for one goaltender + take on his over-inflated contract. When this team is sitting in 10th or 11th place come playoff time we'll be saying that maybe we shouldn't have been so greedy. Remember one thing, it was MG who caused this whole Luongo gong show by signing him to 12 years @ 65 million dollars so now when Lu wants out and doesn't wanna be a backup it's that same MG driven contact that is keeping other teams from paying his dream world price for Roberto, who, in all honesty has yet to prove himself in the playoffs. NO ONE is gonna pay the price for Lu that MG is asking unless MG is willing to eat at least 75% of Roberto's contract and all the delusions of grandeur that we are posting on here is gonna change that fact!!! Roberto is way to expensive...

When asked to address the possibility that the team was looking for too much in return for Luongo, Gillis fired back.

"Fair value is different for every team that you speak to because they have different players, they have different concerns and different contractual issues that play into what they have available that you might want," said Gillis.

"The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

When asked if a potential deal with Toronto is "dead" as some have reported, Gillis noted that things can change.

"I don't care, there's a lot of stuff that's going to happen in the first two weeks of this season," Gillis remarked. "If you start giving all-star players away, you'll be at the bottom of this league in a real hurry. So we have two really good goalies, I don't know what's going to happen with other teams - players might not play well, there may be injuries that they have at that position which may change the landscape. But as it sits today, we need to get something in return that is going to help our team and we're not in the business of just helping other teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413886

Here's looking at you Burke, Nonis, John Shannon, Damien Cox and the rest of the Toronto Media.

Gillis 1 - Leafs 0

Archived