The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Tampa Bay declines, it makes no sense for them to trade a corner stone of there franchise to acquire a young goalie like Schneider when they just payed a hefty price to get Lindback.

Luongo is the one going just accept it.

and if Lou wasn;t a problem and our defense is so bad, why did Schneider post a .1.96 GAA vs Lou at 2.41 and SP of .937 vs Lou at .919? In the playoffs, Schneider was 1.31 vs Lou at 3.50. Same team, same defense, same opponent ! Lou is tuff to play in front of him partly because hes the king of poor rebound control and gives up too many secondary scoring chances. Schneider is far superior in this aspect . Its the technicality of goaltending as 101 would say !

He would probably be 2nd line (Since there are really no spots on the 3rd)

He is like Higgins but a bit more offensive skill IMO, could really thrive and show his full ability on our 2nd line, and his speed, grit and two way game would go along well with that of Booth and Kesler.

Sorry Smashian - not so much. I also like MacArthur but he is one of the many Leaf UFAs - and haven't really considered him because he's also yet another LW. I don't see Kadri as a good fit, and Finn is projected as another left side defensive blueliner.

The Leafs have 6 UFAs up front including Lupul, MacArthur and Bozak, as well as Steckel (and a couple guys whose contract expiration dates they are looking forward to in Connolly and Lombardi) - Burke's got his work cut out for him.

If the Canucks acquired MacArthur, Higgins has played a lot of center and could be moved, at least while Kesler is out, making room for MacArthur, but once Kesler returns, the Canucks would have Daniel, Booth, Higgins, MacArthur and Raymond. One or two of these guys would have to be dealt.

To make a deal including MacArthur work, perhaps something like this (because I really want a RW and center in a deal)...

MacArthur (UFA), Frattin, Steckel (UFA), 2nd. - virtually the same cap hit as Luongo.

Frattin would add some more youth, depth and scoring punch at RW (and good competition for Raymond and Kassian for minutes), Steckel is a prototypical third line center who is dominant in the face-off circle - with he and Malhotra, the Canucks would be seriously frustrating to opponents in their offensive/our defensive zone starts. Alternatively, take Steckel out, make the pick a 1st, and sign Hecht or Arnott to a one year deal.

The Canucks would then need to deal a LW (or two) for futures (and to bank a little cap space) if/when Kesler returns.

Is MacArthur worth the complications?

This was my proposal awhile back, before the lockout.

Franson's rights, Lombardi, Brad Ross, and a conditional pick for Luongo.

Lombardi can slot in our 2nd line, while Kesler recovers. Once he's healthy, Lombardi could play the wing on the 2nd line or center our 3rd line. Ross is one of Toronto's best prospect, plays a hard-nose game and can produce offensively as well (ala Burrows).

This was my proposal awhile back, before the lockout.

Franson's rights, Lombardi, Brad Ross, and a conditional pick for Luongo.

Lombardi can slot in our 2nd line, while Kesler recovers. Once he's healthy, Lombardi could play the wing on the 2nd line or center our 3rd line. Ross is one of Toronto's best prospect, plays a hard-nose game and can produce offensively as well (ala Burrows).

I'd rather have Lombardi as a replacement 2nd line center than Schroeder. I doubt Burke would fork over Bozak, when he knows Connolly is made out of glass.

Yeah, Franson is committed to play in Sweden, but his rights aren't.

Ross won't make the team for another 3 or 4 years, by then Raymond will be gone, same goes for Booth. Why wouldn't you want a LW prospects, when our LW pool isn't that great?

Archived