The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

One thing that never gets talked about is the part of the Luongo contract where the team can opt out after so many years, Luongo also has that option... What does that mean in regards to the Luongo rule if you were to exercise the option. Does this make his contract more appealing to other teams?

Does anyone know the answer to this, the media hasn't touched on it, or at least K haven't heard anything.

Gallagher makes an idiot of himself on a regular basis.

There are two reasons his latest rumour has a chemical composition very similar to this:

Nitrogen - 20% - 90%

Hydrogen - 0% - 50%

Carbon Dioxide - 10% - 30%

Oxygen - 0% - 10%

Methane - 0% - 10%

If he's claiming to know the internal dealings between Gillis and Burke, he is simply flatulating.

Gallagher did nothing but alienate himself from Gills throughout the Hodgson controversy - that was essentially made a public spectacle by Tony Gallagher. Gallagher's disturbances are pretty notorious, but here is that one again:

"I think the Canucks are really playing with fire. In fact, I know they’re playing with fire with this business of what they’re doing to Hodgson. They may not have to accede to demands to be traded, if in fact they come, but you don’t want to be messing around.

Once a player starts doing that, starts asking, if you’ve gotta say no, then you’re starting to really sour the relationship and I don’t think they want to go there. They are perilously close to that kind of situation. I mean, if I had been Cody’s agent I would have been asking long ago. They have been way more than patient."

If Gallagher were Hodgson's agent, he would have demanded a trade long ago. That was written in December, only months into the season - and Gallagher was already obsessed with the idea that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice-time. Just plain ridiculous, but needless to say, making no friends among the Canucks administration.

Clearly Gallagher (and Botchford) are the last guys Gillis has on speed dial.

There is simly no way imo that Gillis shares sensitive information with these two loose wheels.

On the other hand, if Gallagher has gleaned his 'information' from a reliable Toronto source rather than from Gillis, Toronto would be well aware that Luongo isn't interested in going there. They've been dancing the Luongo trade dance for months and months since. The endless posturing and obsessing over Luongo would be an utter waste of time if they had been apprised that Luongo wouldn't go there.

So is Nonis/Toronto the 'reliable' source of this 'information'?

Is Gillis the reliable source?

I'd put my money on neither. Gallagher is not and does not have a reliable source.

What he appears to be regurgitating is the claim that Botchford made and later backtracked upon and rescinded - that Toronto offered Schenn, Gillis accepted, and Luongo turned the trade down. I didn't buy that bull$#!t at the time, and I don't buy it today. It's oldnews and bad news. If that offer were made, my money would be on Gillis rejecting that himself. Despite the love affair that some people in this market have with disposable Leaf assets, I just don't see that deal as value for Luongo - not even remotely close.

For these reasons I don't believe a word out of Gallagher.

If any of you need more insight into the mind of Tony Gallagher, have a read.

He maintains that the Neely trade is the reason the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Final two years ago (I suppose he's also implying by extension that the Hodgson trade will cause the Canucks to lose to the Buffalo Sabres in the SCF of 2037).

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+Neely+deal+spelled+Canucks+doom+explain/6229343/story.html

Opt out means Luongo can ask for trade, or Canucks can ask for trade . Not that the contract gets null and void if either party exercises their opt out clause.

All contracts are guaranteed as per CBA. All contacts must be signed within the parameters set out in CBA.

It's really a meaningless clause in the contract, the present situation is proof.

Agree with Gillis regarding using the media as a tool. We all know that Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe, they always get the prefered time slots even when they play on the west coast. I'm sick of hearing about every big ticket name rumoured to be going to Toronto. That team is an albatross for the players. Who would want to play there is beyond me. They need to go the route of the Edmonton oilers and rebuild the hard way. You have to admit, there fans are die-hard. I mean what have they been able to cheer for since Sundin left. Nada..... to my point.

I'd love to hear a new Rumour about Lu. Something advantageous for both teams involved. Ideally somebody to grow along side Kassian. I'd love to See Glennie and B. Schenn from the WJC reunited with him, but pulling those two pieces out of DAL and PHI would be extremely tough. Also a pipe dream to get Lucic here if ever there was a way. I always thought him and Kesler together would annihilate the entire league together

But I will miss Lou if he leaves this season.

Agree with Gillis regarding using the media as a tool. We all know that Toronto is the centre of the hockey universe, they always get the prefered time slots even when they play on the west coast. I'm sick of hearing about every big ticket name rumoured to be going to Toronto. That team is an albatross for the players. Who would want to play there is beyond me. They need to go the route of the Edmonton oilers and rebuild the hard way. You have to admit, there fans are die-hard. I mean what have they been able to cheer for since Sundin left. Nada..... to my point.

I'd love to hear a new Rumour about Lu. Something advantageous for both teams involved. Ideally somebody to grow along side Kassian. I'd love to See Glennie and B. Schenn from the WJC reunited with him, but pulling those two pieces out of DAL and PHI would be extremely tough. Also a pipe dream to get Lucic here if ever there was a way. I always thought him and Kesler together would annihilate the entire league together

But I will miss Lou if he leaves this season.

Gillis hold all the cards right now. In a shortened season, having 2 all-star goalies only increases your chance to win. It's clear that Luongo will stay if needed, he has friends on this team and is in no hurry to be dealt to a bottom dweller. Gillis was right to call out the Toronto media, as it does not help his situation if these media types are filling air space with Luongo rumours. The only thing we want from Toronto is youth, something in which they aren't willing to give up. So screw the stalemate with Toronto and move to a different market, ensuring that Nonis (Burke lite) gets canned as well.

From what I've seen everyone on here asking for is Kadri, Gardiner and maybe a pick. Gardiner plays left D, a place we have since filled with signing Edler long term, while Kadri is an undersized, over-hyped prospect in which we have in Schroeder (I love the kid, don't get me wrong). The more realistic proposals centre around Bozak, an offensive centre approaching UFA. Bozak, on a healthy Canucks roster fits as a 3rd line centre, hardly worth dealing a star player for. So we are left with the deduction that Toronto is simply not a suitable trading partner, even if our demands were met. This is of course without factoring Luongo's ultimate decision of where to go to, which I highly doubt a player of his calibre would willingly choose to go to the player graveyard that is the Toronto fan base.

So we are left with Luongo, a 5.3m cap hit as a back up goaltender in a shortened season - things could be worse. I'll take a 1-2 punch in Schneider/Luongo over a decreased value in a trade or filling the Luongo void with Cannata; as we currently do not have a healthy goaltender signed beyond him.

Maybe GIllis hit a nerve. Even Dreger on TSN tonight said that a soon to be UFA (Bozak), an unproven prospect (Kadri) and a pick isn't going to land a goalie that will change the whole dynamic of a team.

Unless the Leafs change their tune, they are out of the Luongo sweepstakes.

I hear Edmonton just put Khabibulin on IR...RNH would look good in a Nucks jersey? :bigblush:

I just had a thought.

Speaking hypothetically here; if Luongo had in one way or another said that he would not waive to go to Toronto, why would Mike Gillis tell anyone that? Could he be playing this game with Toronto knowing that Luongo won't go there to help him drive the price up when the next serious bidder comes up? He could keep the price high and used the Toronto media to show that any team inquiring had competition.

Do you think GMs do that?

Archived