The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I see a lot of negative convergences surrounding this team all at once, which was the basis of my prediction. If you folks would consume information and opinions from places other than CDC, you might realize that predictions like mine (or his) really aren't that crazy/far-fetched.

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all. Of course he's not "sharing" information with these guys - that's not the point. These guys are around the team enough and smart enough to know what's really going on.

The whole world knew that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice time. Tony was stating what everyone was discussing. As bad a player as you claim that he is, I would venture a guess that you were the type that was pumping his tires on this site very consistently, until the day that he was traded - at which point his value to you dropped immensely (imagine that).

Now I know Roberto has said he wants any deal to be the best for the Nucks that it can be but there will come a time when his patience will run out. He will give the ultimatum to MG by stating, "MG you either trade me or I'm done playing for this team". How long can he stomach being a backup to Schneider when he knows the rest of the league is watchin' him and chuckling a bit. Trust me, his pride will eventually get the better of MG who will be forced to make a move. Besides all that do u actually think Roberto is gonna give his all this season for Vancouver after the way he was yanked last playoff season when it really wasn't his fault that we failed so miserably!!! MG would be well advised to rid himself of Lu's contract now then to keep him in the lurch for god knows how long!!.........

Gillis is a jackass. Listen to the guy on the radio. Condescending, rude, disrespectful, just not a good guy at all. Of course he's not "sharing" information with these guys - that's not the point. These guys are around the team enough and smart enough to know what's really going on.

The whole world knew that Hodgson wasn't getting enough ice time. Tony was stating what everyone was discussing. As bad a player as you claim that he is, I would venture a guess that you were the type that was pumping his tires on this site very consistently, until the day that he was traded - at which point his value to you dropped immensely (imagine that).

Now I know Roberto has said he wants any deal to be the best for the Nucks that it can be but there will come a time when his patience will run out. He will give the ultimatum to MG by stating, "MG you either trade me or I'm done playing for this team". How long can he stomach being a backup to Schneider when he knows the rest of the league is watchin' him and chuckling a bit. Trust me, his pride will eventually get the better of MG who will be forced to make a move. Besides all that do u actually think Roberto is gonna give his all this season for Vancouver after the way he was yanked last playoff season when it really wasn't his fault that we failed so miserably!!! MG would be well advised to rid himself of Lu's contract now then to keep him in the lurch for god knows how long!!.........

1. Enough Ice time? So take ice time away from a Hart and a Selk trophy winner? That is actually the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. Learn what development is there Einstein. Ya know Gen Y's need to understand something, just cause mommy said you're wonderful and great at everything, doesn't mean they are as good as they think. I suppose you think based on the logic that he deserved to take ice from a Hart/Selke winner, that he could have been traded for one, since clearly if you're good enough to take their ice time, then you're better than they are right? That's a very solid chain of logic...hmm...

Oh, so now it's all about pedigree? Hank won a Hart, Kes won a Selke, so therefore their positions on the Canucks are all but guaranteed?

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

Gillis hold all the cards right now. In a shortened season, having 2 all-star goalies only increases your chance to win. It's clear that Luongo will stay if needed, he has friends on this team and is in no hurry to be dealt to a bottom dweller. Gillis was right to call out the Toronto media, as it does not help his situation if these media types are filling air space with Luongo rumours. The only thing we want from Toronto is youth, something in which they aren't willing to give up. So screw the stalemate with Toronto and move to a different market, ensuring that Nonis (Burke lite) gets canned as well.

From what I've seen everyone on here asking for is Kadri, Gardiner and maybe a pick. Gardiner plays left D, a place we have since filled with signing Edler long term, while Kadri is an undersized, over-hyped prospect in which we have in Schroeder (I love the kid, don't get me wrong). The more realistic proposals centre around Bozak, an offensive centre approaching UFA. Bozak, on a healthy Canucks roster fits as a 3rd line centre, hardly worth dealing a star player for. So we are left with the deduction that Toronto is simply not a suitable trading partner, even if our demands were met. This is of course without factoring Luongo's ultimate decision of where to go to, which I highly doubt a player of his calibre would willingly choose to go to the player graveyard that is the Toronto fan base.

So we are left with Luongo, a 5.3m cap hit as a back up goaltender in a shortened season - things could be worse. I'll take a 1-2 punch in Schneider/Luongo over a decreased value in a trade or filling the Luongo void with Cannata; as we currently do not have a healthy goaltender signed beyond him.

yes, I agree, his save % stat wasn't all that great but this goes hand in hand with the fact that the team in front of him was very questionable in scoring, defense and to a large degree, coaching!! Any goal tender is only as good as the team the GM puts in front of him!! AV has gone how many seasons now and how many playoff series now with nothing but a goose egg and still manages to hang onto his job!!?? How much longer are we gonna hang onto this lame duck coach??!! To lay the Nucks dismal failure in the playoffs on one goaltender is beyond the realm of reality!! Where was Kesler and Burrows besides making names for themselves in the diving department!!?? Where was Salo, Edler and (choke) Bieksa against the LA forwards last playoffs??!! Even the mighty Schneider couldn't get it done last playoff series yet some on here delude themselves into thinking we have the best goaltender duo in the league. How much blame did Schneider field for that series failure!! Now to add insult to an already bruised ego they make the mighty Schneider the # 1. Look at the final series against Boston when the Nucks led that series 2-0 then fell apart and let Boston back into it. Game 7 was a complete melt down yet we still blamed Roberto for Boston's shutout victory. Was it his fault the Sedins were a non factor in the most important game since the '94 cup failure (where was Pavel Bure) against NY!!?? The label of our team being a goalie graveyard lives on in infamy!! No wonder Lu' has asked for a trade. Come on MG, let this guy go before he's totally ruined here!!!

What's the point? Doesn't change the fundamental reality that there are very, very few potential buyers for Luongo, nor does it change the fundamental reality that the Canucks must get rid of him.

Playing games won't do anything for Gillis' leverage, in a deal like this one, unfortunately.

WTF? Ppl actually do this stuff to get a direct msg from MG? This guy can get ppl to tweet just for the chance to enter into a lottery, and the winner gets a "good boy" from MG?

crazy.

Mike Gillis@GMMikeGillis

Use the hashtag and I will send a few direct messages to five fans this afternoon.

10:06 AM - 19 Jan 13 · Details

Looking at this year's UFA class, I think MG might have to trade Lu at the deadline or risk potential trade partners finding other options. Nabokov, Howard, Backstrom, and Mike Smith are all on the market, and some may try to take offers from other teams.

The trade deadline is when team's will be pushing to make the playoffs, and when Luongo's value will be at it's highest, pending the offers are good enough, I doubt we see Luongo here in Vancouver heading into the playoffs.

Looking at this year's UFA class, I think MG might have to trade Lu at the deadline or risk potential trade partners finding other options. Nabokov, Howard, Backstrom, and Mike Smith are all on the market, and some may try to take offers from other teams.

The trade deadline is when team's will be pushing to make the playoffs, and when Luongo's value will be at it's highest, pending the offers are good enough, I doubt we see Luongo here in Vancouver heading into the playoffs.

Maybe you missed the part where Kesler's goals and points dropped by nearly a full 50%. Oh, but he won a Selke, so we just don't talk about those stats. Is that it?

Speaking of the most idiotic statements ever heard, this one might well take the cake. He's just fine defensively. He was voted the best penalty killer and the smartest player in the OHL, multiple times, by that league's coaches. If he had an issue, it was speed, which should be expected as a rookie. Do you at all remember the joke that was the Sedin's in their first year in the NHL? And what happened with them? Right, trotted out on the second line, and the second PP, regardless of how slow, weak, and unproductive they were. That's how you develop guys with obvious talent - like Hodgson. BTW, who's Buffalo's #1 C to start the year? Oh yeah.

And this "rigging" of ice-time is a real knee-slapper. Was the puck rigged too, when he scored all of those goals? Did Mike Gillis give him commands from above, as to where to shoot the puck on the goalie?

Archived