The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

Comeon MG, no more secondary or role players. Elite for elite. The trade market and a condensed schedule could play into MG's hands nicely. Allaire and Lu both to Florida???

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: #Luongo says he has recently spoken to Gillis, but not specifically about a trade. Though he did say "there is more than one team involved"”

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: Assuming there is no trade, #Luongo says he'll fly to Van at the end of the week. Also said w/ the shortened season that "all bets are off"”

“@FarhanLaljiTSN: Alaire asked about #Luongo's ability to handle the Toronto market: "Vancouver is a pretty big market too" #canucks #tsn”

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

Here's one for King - aren't you the guy who posted Craig'slist? ::D

Craig Button:

"I would not trade Luongo if I was Vancouver. High demands on goalies in shortened season. Big advantage for Canucks."

Apparently Button doesn't agree with your "table scraps" assessment.

The one team that I have not heard anyone mention is the Ducks. Perry and Getzlaf are both UFA at the end of the season and we all remember Bobby Ryan sounding off at the draft about how feels he has been treated by the Ducks. Not saying we would get any of those players but if I'm the Ducks GM I would want to get some thing for Perry or Getzlaf. I could see them sign one but not both..... Who knows maybe they do get both under contract if they trade Ryan.....

Roberto Luongo: Toronto Maple Leafs 'obviously part of the equation'

CORAL SPRINGS, FLA. - Roberto Luongo is still working out in Vancouver Canucks blue but is well aware he may have to change the shade soon.

The Canucks goaltender was on the ice here Monday morning and said he has given general manger Mike Gillis “the green light” to do whatever is best for the team.

That, of course, includes a trade and the Toronto Maple Leafs are known to be high on the list of suitors.

“I have a lot of respect for Toronto, Brian Burke and the Leafs,” Luongo said after a 90-minute workout with former Leafs goalie goal and long time mentor, Francois Allaire. “They are obviously part of the equation, there’s no denying that. But there’s a lot of things that can happen. I want to make sure I’m aware of the possibilities.

Luongo certainly understands that he will be the subject of trade rumours as the rush for training camp approaches.

“I’m open to a lot of ideas right now,” Luongo said. “I don’t want to corner myself, especially since I might have to start the season in Vancouver or play the whole season there. Who knows.”

He said that in previous discussions he’s had with Gillis, he’s made it clear that he would accept a trade if the circumstances were right. The Canucks have certainly given an indication they are comfortable moving forward with Cory Schneider in net.

“It’s a process,” Luongo said. "I told Mike I gave him the green light to do whatever he needs to do that’s best for the team. Whatever that is, how much time that will be, I don’t know.

“I’m prepared right now to go up to Vancouver and start training camp. Unless Mike tells me otherwise, I’m ready to go, I’m excited. I miss being around the guys.”

Though he made it clear he’s aware there are other options, Luongo said he isn’t bothered about the prospect of playing in Toronto.

“We all know what expectations are in the Canadian markets,” Luongo said. “It’s not something that would be new to me. It’s something I can handle.”

The one team that I have not heard anyone mention is the Ducks. Perry and Getzlaf are both UFA at the end of the season and we all remember Bobby Ryan sounding off at the draft about how feels he has been treated by the Ducks. Not saying we would get any of those players but if I'm the Ducks GM I would want to get some thing for Perry or Getzlaf. I could see them sign one but not both..... Who knows maybe they do get both under contract if they trade Ryan.....

IMO with the condensed schedule and multiple teams bidding (quoted by both Lu and MG), the Canucks are going to get good value.

So here's my trade and roster.

Lu, Raymond, Sauve

For

Gardiner/Rielly and Bozak

Sign Vandermeer

Sign Huselius

Sign Ellis

Sedins Burr

Booth Kes Huselius

Higgins Bozak Hansen

Lap Manny Kass

Weise, Shroeder Ebbett

Ham Bieksa

Edler Garr

Ballard Tanev

Vander Alberts

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

Yeah I like it, logical value; but its not a logical trade.

McArthur is another LW in a mittfull of LW's for us... Why not break down and actually get pieces that slot directly into our needs? For better or worse, Bozak fills a centre role for us and offers cap relief next year. Our other holes are RW and right D.

And I also think we need to put Franson in as a depth D for us. Having a depth right handed shot would allow us to dangle Ballard or possibly even Edler.

If I had the choice I'd be asking for any three of Kadri, Ashton, Franson and Bigg's!

McArthur, Kadri, Finn for Luongo?

Anyone like it?

:lol: They actually tried that last year!

Leaf fans almost voted Reimer into the All Star game last year, perhaps thinking that might actually make him an all star???

:rolleyes:

One answer to that - the Leafs and Panthers will be competing for a playoff spot, not conspiring to keep the price of Luongo low for each other.

And they aren't the only two potential destinations. Waiting for a buyout = watching another team cut a deal for Luongo.

Luongo is far and away the best goaltender on the market, and there are a number of teams that could step in at any time and make an offer. The idea that no one will offer anything before the end of the season and Luongo will be bought out is in the range of 0 - 0.1% probability. The Leafs would do just as well to buy a ticket in the all-star goaltender lottery.

What if this is a 3 -way deal? If brokering a deal with Toronto meant adding Edmonton into the mix (Tambellini was under Nonis for a while) perhaps Nonis joined forces with Edmonton to give the package Gillis was looking for?

Sam Gagner (would fill 2nd line C very nicely)

Magnus Paarajavi (swede who could get his scoring touch back)

Bozak/Franson/Komisarek

for Luongo ++?

Huh? If this is a quote from another source, you might want to put "" around it and let people know what you're talking about. Not many psychics here.

Again. ?. Huh? Franson is the Leafs best player? Are you paraphrasing someone or stating your own opinion?

What "the fans actually think" are actually a whole lot of divergent things. There is no monolith called "the fans".

Archived