The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Man, Sam Gagner's name being thrown around?

Was on pace for 51 points last year & the year before that. He's injury prone, but he's reliable enough. As a third line-center with the ability to play for Kesler for now, he'd be good.

Just 23 years old and has had 15+ goals 4 times, and 40+ points 5 times. If he could stay healthy for 82 games and play with a big winger, he could easily put up 50 points. Maybe more if he ran the 2nd PP here.

Obviously it wouldn't be Luongo for Gagner straight up, but Luongo for Gagner, Dubnyk + ________. All depends what else they can throw in, but Gagner would look pretty good centering the 3rd line when the team is healthy..

Check my edit.

I see a 3 time 20+ goal scorer, capable of 25 goals and 50+ points, while bringing grit, toughness, defensive play, leadership, Great shot blocker/PK guy, solid skating ability, size, intangables, he's like a developed verison of Gaunce with maybe more pure grit. He can also play Wing or Center and is a good faceoff man, can play in every role and brings tons of versitility, one of those guys who can be key in playoff runs (on the right team in the right role)

Could be our verison of Bolland/Stoll.

Guys,

I think you're missing something in your talk about Washington/ Philly when you're talking Brower, Laich, Briere etc...

Luongo is an All Star and while these guys are all good pieces I am quite sure MG is holding out this long for one reason. He wants and needs a young stud coming back to help with organizational depth.

If you're trading a talented, all star, asking for a high level prospect and a vet who can get you 40-50 pts is not outside of reason given the propect likely hasn't done anything yet.

More importantly, he said we want one back. He will not accept 2-3rd liners for Lou, or an aging (however good) vet in Briere as the center pieces.

I think it may be a deal with Dallas MG is talking about for B. Morrow.

My reasons:

1. Morrow would be a really good 2nd line forward MG would agree.

2. Dallas isn't winning a cup any time soon Morrow likely wants out and he has been very loyal Dallas would honor that request because Morrow likely wants to go out with a bang to end his career and challenge for the cup his last few seasons.

3. There was talk before of mutual interest between Morrow and MG in the past.

4. A team Lou would likely go to because it's close to Florida.

5. Dallas wouldn't trade unless they knew Benn would stay long term what MG was talking about.

The only hitch i see is Dallas has Lehtonen but The stars could easily ship him off to any of the numerous teams that may need a upgrade in net for their team need.

I am a fan of this trade if it happens.

Morrow has a good mix of heart, skill and grit and would definitely be a great piece for a possible cup.

I think the Mystery Team may be the NJD, with Brodeur and Hedberg all over 40 this coming May, they need a solid top 10 Goalie. Signing Zajac long term may be sign of shuffling Center. They have Josefson who plays a similar role with Henrique, there's a deal to be made there.

Here's more of my reasoning: http://nhlpa.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/roberto-luongo-trade-rumor/

IMO Lu might have a small no-trade list at this point but I think that Edmonton would be on it. They won't be seriously competing for another few years and its still the great frozen North, well away from the Sunshine. I haven't seen any real reasoning to suggest he'd agree to such a trade aside from Fuhr being his idol, which is weak logic. I'd say Edmonton, Columbus and maybe Calgary are the only truly off-limits teams from his standpoint. Maybe Toronto and Minnesota as well but I think they're still possibilities.

I think Mackenzie's ego as "the insider" is out of control - he's an insider, sometimes, but NHL GMs don't have to apprise him of anything in order for it to be a reality and for him to come out and speculate that there's nothing to Gillis' comment imo makes him look like an idiot.

I don't see Gillis as the smoke and mirrors type - he's generally either forthright or simply responds that he's not going to comment on a matter. Given his style this would be a good bluff, but I don't think it is. I find it utterly hilarious that there has been so much readiness to swallow endless Luongo to Toronto rumours but all of a sudden there's no way a Luongo deal in priniciple could be in the works that sees him go elsewhere. Indicating that a deal is in place and waiting for that team to do something with a player doesn't necessarily have the logical effect of increasing the bidding - it could also have the effect of suggesting people look elsewhere under those cicumstances. In Toronto's case, feel free to.

"We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait."

I think this rules out players like Briere - the Flyers are waiting for Briere, they don't have to do something with him

IMO it involves a team with a goaltender who is a significant cap hit, who for one reason or another sees fit to either move a bad contract, replace a veteran nearing retirement, or upgrade on a mid tier goalie whose cap hit they would not want to keep in addition to Luongo. That leaves a significant amount of possibilities.

Archived