The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Well round 4... I hoped I would never see the day...

I suppose we should acknowledge the topic as to whether a shortened season would necessitate keeping Luongo around, if only for the condensed schedule. I'm not opposed to it, though it does make us desperate to move him before the salary cap reduction next year.

While we're at it; why don't we trade for three more left wingers, 5 more left D and 4 goalies? We'll get Niemi, a pick we can use to draft a goalie, a prospect and maybe SJ can acquire the rights to Hasek to include him so the deal works...

I mean really, our depth is in goal, on left D (Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Ballard) and on left wing (Danny, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins, prospect Jensen). Hansen is our top natural RW followed by prospect Kassian. You can decide whether your happy with our depth at centre. And Tanev is our 2knd best natural right D, which is scary. For all our fast skating, good passing D we lack both a bone cruncher, are desperately short on right handed shots and miss a guy that can lug the puck against pressure not just pass it.

So first lets trade Lou for a UFA, then lets not bother to actually address any team needs!

:picard:

I am completely convinced that if Luo gets traded he will go to a left field team that can give us a reliable goaltender

To San Jose

Luo

Higgins

3rd

To Van

Niemi

Clowe

1st

Of corse all of you homers will say we are overpaying but in reality both teams need to feel they are getting the upper hand.

SJ is more desperate than we are to keep the window open. I don't think Clowe likes SJ he constantly lays that out in interviews. He would help this team and MG would be all over locking him up.

You wanna buy out a goalie? I think neimi would be an easier buy and probably relatively easy to move when lack is ready

Higgins is awesome but Clowe is more awesome both UFA's

We give SJ short term cap relief they give us long term cap relief.

We will not get high end prospects for Luo or capspace

it will involve a money exchange. So MG can help the team now and a contender can fit Luo in.

The buy out is kind of an interesting tool. We could take a big contract from a team that cannot afford a buyout in exchange for prospects. Like a DePetro. I can't imagine what the islanders would give to unload that sucker. Not saying Luongo would be part of that but it would be another way to acquire youth rather than using Luo.

While we're at it; why don't we trade for three more left wingers, 5 more left D and 4 goalies? We'll get Niemi, a pick we can use to draft a goalie, a prospect and maybe SJ can acquire the rights to Hasek to include him so the deal works...

I mean really, our depth is in goal, on left D (Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Ballard) and on left wing (Danny, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins, prospect Jensen). Hansen is our top natural RW followed by prospect Kassian. You can decide whether your happy with our depth at centre. And Tanev is our 2knd best natural right D, which is scary. For all our fast skating, good passing D we lack both a bone cruncher, are desperately short on right handed shots and miss a guy that can lug the puck against pressure not just pass it.

So first lets trade Lou for a UFA, then lets not bother to actually address any team needs!

I'm not the GM it's an example of what could happen.

We will exchange salary and because we have a long way to go to be cap compliant in a few years a pending UFA may be an option.

You can let him walk if he doesn't fit you team or you can have exclusive negotiating to resign him. He is a upgrade to Higgins, clearly.

For those that think MG is not going to do a return favor for his trading partner, your living in a dream world.

Lack has cute little blogs and stuff which is great but Remember, he will be our starter If Cory is Injured, is he ready? Possibly, but that's pretty debatable. If Cory went down in the playoffs would you be more comfortable with say Neimi? Or Lack? Ya... I'm going to bet a short term vet backup is on the way back in whatever deal we get. If not, one will be acquired after.

I am completely convinced that if Luo gets traded he will go to a left field team that can give us a reliable goaltender

To San Jose

Luo

Higgins

3rd

To Van

Niemi

Clowe

1st

Of corse all of you homers will say we are overpaying but in reality both teams need to feel they are getting the upper hand.

SJ is more desperate than we are to keep the window open. I don't think Clowe likes SJ he constantly lays that out in interviews. He would help this team and MG would be all over locking him up.

You wanna buy out a goalie? I think neimi would be an easier buy and probably relatively easy to move when lack is ready

it will involve a money exchange. So MG can help the team now and a contender can fit Luo in.

The buy out is kind of an interesting tool. We could take a big contract from a team that cannot afford a buyout in exchange for prospects. Like a DePetro. I can't imagine what the islanders would give to unload that sucker. Not saying Luongo would be part of that but it would be another way to acquire youth rather than using Luo.

To San Jose

Luo

Higgins

3rd

To Van

Niemi

Clowe

1st

I see what you did there Noheart.

I'm gonna go to right field and say Long Island and take back one of their tenders as well.

Luongo

3rd

Okposo

Nabokov

Brock Nelson

The Canucks take back $5.55 million in cap hit.

Okposo - the kind of (second line) RW I'd love to see added to the roster.

Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA - a good insurance policy for this season but no commitment thereafter if Lack proves himself.

Nelson - a good depth addition / potential third line center - good size, speed, defensive game, offensive upside as well - and behind Tavares, Nielson, Bailey and Strome, there's a lot of young talent at center in the Isles org.

The Isles buyout Dipietro themselves, and get back the goalie they probably never should have moved in the first place (ahem, one of the many Milbury strokes of genius - Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha - ouch!).

I see what you did there Noheart.

I'm gonna go to right field and say Long Island and take back one of their tenders as well.

Luongo

3rd

Okposo

Nabokov

Brock Nelson

The Canucks take back $5.55 million in cap hit.

Okposo - the kind of (second line) RW I'd love to see added to the roster.

Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA - a good insurance policy for this season but no commitment thereafter if Lack proves himself.

Nelson - a good depth addition / potential third line center - good size, speed, defensive game, offensive upside as well - and behind Tavares, Nielson, Bailey and Strome, there's a lot of young talent at center in the Isles org.

The Isles buyout Dipietro themselves, and get back the goalie they probably never should have moved in the first place (ahem, one of the many Milbury strokes of genius - Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha - ouch!).

Rather see

Loungo- fills a big hole and yes agree NYI on the upswing and Lou could carry them to a birth and be a star in NYC, he'd likely love the limelight...and it would be great for him to recapture some appreciation

Ballard-NYI need a veteran puck moving dman, their d is young and inexperienced Ballard fills a big need

Schroeder - Addresses filling a gap I am creating with the trade but also a reliable player who's likely to get a better chance in NY

for

Nabakov - makes absolute sense for both sides as you suggested

Matt Martin - love this kid and is the 4th liner we need - hitter/fighter/speed/size

Ryan Strome - Fills our need for a potential real 1/2 center and is a Canadian kid with decent size

2nd

Result is what I like in the future..our core should/would include

Jensen, Strome, Kassian, Martin, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado, Gaunce, Lack - that's not a bad core if you can find a couple steals in the next 4-5 years thats a decent group (once our current vets are gone for the most part)

LW/Kesler (mid 30's)/Kassian

Jensen/Strome/RW

LW/Gaunce/Martin

4th

Corrado/Edler (mid 30's)

Tanev/Connaghton

Aging vet- ie Garrison?/Sauve

Lack

Schnieder (aging/backup)

Not too many holes and a solid group and have to just LOVE that size and intensity

Archived