The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I hate Luongo more than anyone, I have said since Luongo v1.0 that his value is worthless.

The more I am reading into this the more I am starting to change my mind.

Even a cocky bastard like myself can admit when im wrong.

I think because of the short season

The urgency to win becomes greater for TO.

The urgency to generate ticket sales from lost rev becomes greater for FLA.TB,NYI

The rookie hangover in WASH is long gone.

SJ has an aging core that couldn’t get the job done 5 years younger.

CHI and PHI are a goaltender away from a Stanley cup.

Every point is critical and I don’t think these teams can afford to wait till the summer or the trade deadline.

Advantage Gillis.

That new, little retirement CBA nuance isn't that big of a deal. The cap was $39m in 2005-2006, and seven years later in 2011-2012 it was 160% higher at $64.3m. Next year's $64.3m cap will probably be $80.3m (if not higher) in 2019-2020 and a $2m cap hit is peanuts under an $80m ceiling which is the equivalent of a $1.286m hit under a $64.3m cap.

I hope Luongo can get us a good 4th or 5th huge defenseman (6'5, 230 pounds or above) who can play a solid 10 - 12 mins a game and a BIG young prospect at forward. Please no more of those 5'11 skill guys (Tyler Ballsuck of the Leafs), we have enough already.

No it's not.

Luongo < Seabrook

Schneider > Seabrook

It's the sad reality.

Rielly isn't going anywhere, no where, he's not even in the conversation at this point.

NYI Declines, Brock Nelson is someone they really covet, Hamonic is good young top 4 defender and Okposo is a solid top 6 forward who still has upside.

Luongo = Seabrook

Schneider is worth the entire Hawks blueline.

Really? Are you really apprised of the conversations that Gillis and Burke have? I'm wary of such claims.

I realize the Islanders like Nelson. They also like John Tavares, Ryan Strome, Josh Bailey, Frans Neilson, and even Casey Cizikas. There are only so many minutes available for young centers there. Like the Panthers, they have a few, and if they want a legitimate starter, it'll cost something. Garth Snow knows the value of goaltending.

Yes Hamonic is a good young defenseman. So are Griffin Reinhart (who wouldn't be an Isle if Howson had taken all of Snows picks for the 2nd overall), Calvin deHaan and Matt Donovan.

Of course Okposo has upside - but hey, it's not like I'm asking for Grabner lol.

The Islander need a veteran blueliner - we might be willing to add Ballard to the deal for the right price.

• Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun: Roberto Luongo said this morning that he has given Canucks GM Mike Gillis “the green light” to do what is best for the Canucks. Luongo on the Maple Leafs,

“I have a lot of respect for Toronto, Brian Burke and the Leafs,” Luongo said after a 90-minute workout with former Leafs goalie goal and long time mentor, Francois Allaire. “They are obviously part of the equation, there’s no denying that. But there’s a lot of things that can happen. I want to make sure I’m aware of the possibilities.”

Luongo on the trade rumors that will follow him to training camp and beyond,

“I’m open to a lot of ideas right now,” Luongo said. “I don’t want to corner myself, especially since I might have to start the season in Vancouver or play the whole season there. Who knows.”

“It’s a process,” Luongo said. “I told Mike I gave him the green light to do whatever he needs to do that’s best for the team. Whatever that is, how much time that will be, I don’t know.

“I’m prepared right now to go up to Vancouver and start training camp. Unless Mike tells me otherwise, I’m ready to go, I’m excited. I miss being around the guys.”

Luongo wouldn’t have a problem playing in Toronto,

“We all know what expectations are in the Canadian markets,” Luongo said. “It’s not something that would be new to me. It’s something I can handle.”

• Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun: Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman was in Toronto last week, and he allegedly went to a Marlies game. The Canucks are thought to be interested in Tyler Bozak and two other pieces. Nazem Kadri could be one of the pieces they are interested in.

“There’s going to be a lot of (trade) activity once the deal gets ratified and teams try to plan. We’ll see what comes our way,” Gillis told Vancouver reporters on Sunday.

A Vancouver source said that the Canucks want to study the new CBA before making a final decision on Luongo. Gilman does expect Luongo to be at the Canucks training camp when it opens.

• Steve Simmons via twitter: Until the Panthers tell the Canucks that they are not interested in Luongo, he won’t approve a trade to go anywhere else.

• Bruce Garrioch via twitter: There have been no substantive talks between the Maple Leafs and Canucks regarding Luongo since September, so there would be some work for both sides to do.

• Farhan Lalji via twitter: Assuming he’s not traded, Luongo said he’ll head back to Vancouver at the end of the week.

Crazy hypothetical question: If Van trades Luongo with say Ballard & another contract(Booth?), how much talent could they DEMAND from Philly if they took the headcase, Bryzgalov??? Then buy him out after the season.

Maybe Coutourier, Simmonds, Coburn & a 1st rounder(or 2?)?

Crazy hypothetical question: If Van trades Luongo with say Ballard & another contract(Booth?), how much talent could they DEMAND from Philly if they took the headcase, Bryzgalov??? Then buy him out after the season.

Maybe Coutourier, Simmonds, Coburn & a 1st rounder(or 2?)?

Do y'all mind if I inject a bit of reality into this thread, and point out that the owners just imposed a four month lockout costing themselves hundreds of millions of dollars to scrape away small percentages of the players earning potential?

They're not going to be tripping over each other to buy out the most overpaid players in the league.

The sense he is making relates to winning, not trade value King. The idea he is clearly endorsing is to keep a tandem in a short season - two goaltenders gives you a better chance of having a hot one - advantage Vancouver. Is that really so difficult to comprehend? We understand your point. It's just that not everyone agrees with you.

Archived