The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Nothing is for certain in hockey but all the signs point to Schneider as our go to guy. I agree that 3 playoff games in itself is not singularly enough to make Schneids #1 but the way he has evolved, his very high level of play under every situation and that 3 game stint do justify an increased role. The pressure he was under was huge but hes very cool and his technique does not falter under it. Lou is now working on technical issues with Allaire and hopefully they can close some of the chinks in his armour. He has to give shooters a different look because the book on him was printed a long time ago and his vulnerabilities are well noted. I give Schneider the edge starting the season as hes had some games under his belt and Lou is a slow starter. I agree with ES in that Lou, if hes being traded, needs to start elsewhere, because , trade-wise a bad start does not help him or the team. Its a huge risk. I think we will see a deal done before the puck drops in game one !

MG said in an interview there isn't really any room for experiments with a shortened season. I don't think MG will go with Schroeder unless he's quite confident he can handle the Centre spot.

Also, if we trade Luongo, I don't think we would want picks back, because that doesn't help us with anything for the next 3 years at the very least. We will want players back in return. I hear Dan Ellis is still available and interested in playing for Canucks.

Fortunately for us, we can actually have Schneider play a lot of games this year as the season has been shortened. If he can play 40 games, that's already 80% of the season this year..

Look, I know it might hurt your feelings to acknowledge this, but on the Vancouver Canucks, Roberto Luongo is now the second-string goaltender; unless you're CH101 and feel that they're actually pulling a fast one on the entire world and will end up trading Schneider anyway.

And don't get caught up in meaningless words like "backup" or whatever. Who cares? Fundamentally, the Canucks have a goaltender that wants out, and the Canucks also have serious holes on their roster. Everybody knows both of these facts, and both have an adverse effect on Lu's value from the other side's perspective.

Lu still has to approve a deal to Toronto, which some say won't happen until Florida claims that they're absolutely out of the running.

@benkuzma Schneider on possibility of having Luongo at camp: "The best guy will play and there are worse things in the world than having a world-class goalie pushing you and forcing you to be at your best. Roberto and I have dealt with this for two years now we're not unfamiliar with the scrutiny and pressure and whatever you guys want to call it. We respect each other."

Schneider on not knowing who is backup may be: "It's never awkward. It's a label that people put on it. I'm a pretty affable guy. Whoever does come in will be to my benefit and you can learn things from anybody. I'll just wait and see what happens."

My point is even if common sense is pointing to one thing being more likely, that doesn't make it true - not yet. Using it in a debate can only be one person's opinion so to say otherwise is equally valid because that's also based on someone's opinion. KotES has shown more than once in the past that even common sense doesn't factor into all his posts, so to turn it into an argument over who's opinion is most right is just silly.

I will give you that it is not ideal to hold on to luongo right now, but that does not mean its absolutely not an option. The only reason we have a hole in our line up is kesler. We have the depth and will sign the depth to cover for injuries.

The point I am making, King, is not that it's IDEAL to go this way, but that we have a good enough team to do it. That my friend, takes our back off the wall and pushes Burkes back up goalie back firmly against it.

How soon people forget that James Reimer was pretty freaking good in 2011, as a rookie:

37 GP, 20-10-5, 3 SO, .921, 2.60

Let's not discount that those numbers are while on the Maple Leafs. If he's healthy, not unreasonable at all for the Leafs to try and give him another shot.

When did I say that holding on to him wasn't an option? Of course it's an option. An ill-sighted one, IMO, but of course an option. Though I'm not sure that I agree with you on the rest. What depth do we have? I see a gaping hole at C, and I see wingers that I have very little confidence in on the second line - Booth & Raymond. Are you sold on them?

So OK, we have a good enough team in your eyes to keep Luongo. What if Reimer gets 2 shutouts in his first 7 games? What if Toronto makes the playoffs, and Burke realizes that maybe he doesn't need a 34 year-old goalie signed until 2022? What then?

Bottom line is Burke knows all about goalie graveyards and needs a veteran starter to get the wheels rolling in Toronto. He can give Reimer a redemption shot, but even you should agree that is not his style. Whether or not we agree on what the return will be, you know damn well Burke wants luongo

Did you live in Vancouver when Burke was here? Dan Cloutier was the hill that he died on.

And with Reimer, it's not even really "redemption". He got injured after that year, was rushed back too quickly, then shut down, etc. At 24 years of age, he's hardly a "reclamation project".

@ericfrancis - Fan590 reporting (re:Luongo) team to watch is Edm...

If Luongo goes to Edmonton, he'll be flipped in a 3 way deal(Burke trades Edmonton D-Men/goalie backup to Edmonton?)...if true, no way it's a inter divisional straight trade. Names Canucks undoubtedly could be looking at are guys like Gagner, Paajavari, Hartikainen, Whitney and picks...maybe Leaf guys like the supposed Kadri/Bozak/Franson via Edmonton...

Edmonton being a dark horse could match up when Luongo referred to 'other teams' being involved...

Archived