The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I agree with your above post re" TSN pumping up Lu controversy. They want Luongo in Toronto and are trying to create issues. MG knows exactly what's going on.

But as far as Dipietro getting bought out, NO WAY in this universe Isles buy out Dipietro. Never. No owner would do approve such a move. If I was GM no way I would even think about doing such a thing, If I'm owner I'd fire the GM for even asking me.

I think Luongo to CBJ is also a real possibility. Don't shut the door on Columbus. John Davidson was recently hired to turn the team around and bring credibility to the organisation. They desperately need a Luongo on that roster.

As far as Luongo saying he won't go there, don't be so sure. After JD having a talk with Luongo and explaining his vision for the team Luongo might have a change of heart. JD's track record in St. Louis would help.

IF Luongo said NO, and refused to waive MG could say to him look, I'll waive you and CBJ will get you anyways, if needed MG could work out a deal with CBJ where they send over a package for player X and waiving Luongo.

Unlikely but this is a hammer MG holds.

I'm am certain there are several teams involved behind the scenes. Only way BB gets Luongo is if he outbids all other clubs. If it's a tie other club gets Lu.

But as far as Dipietro getting bought out, NO WAY in this universe Isles buy out Dipietro. Never. No owner would do approve such a move. If I was GM no way I would even think about doing such a thing, If I'm owner I'd fire the GM for even asking me.

Edit: I understand the context of your post so not saying you think they would buy him out.

I'm not saying they would do it, and that point is exactly why I think everyone suggesting buying out Luongo is nuts, & I wouldn't buy Rick either but they would buy him out rather than destroy the future and pull off a move like this. And Luongo's contract is worse + adding Ballard to the trade, so I don't see where the cap relief is.

Luongo has never been a team player anyway. He's always put his needs before his team. The Canucks need more 'Heart and Soul' guys on this team. I hate how Luongo feels he's automatically deserved a number one spot in Vancouver.....NO, you've gotta earn your spot Lu, instead of complaining and asking to be traded PROVE that you deserve the spot over Schneider. I'll be GLAD when Luongo is gone, that self centered...

You're missing something rather important. Buying out Dipietro costs 24 million and no cap hit. Not buying out Dipietro costs 36 million and 36 million in cap hit over 8 years.

If you were the owner, you'd probably have realized that by now. You also already fired someone over this.

I highly doubt NYI would do Hamonic and Nelson for Lu and Ballard. Adding Okposo only makes it worse.

And Luongo's overall value of the contract from now until it ends is 6.6 more than Dipeitro's and is one year Longer, how is that any better? That's trading all that and getting completely hosed for an even worse contract, not to mention Ballard who is 4.2 and isn't nearly what Hamonic is.

Post this on HF Boards & see what NYI fans say, I dare you.

Edit: I agree with you on most things dude, but this doesn't make any sense from their perspective.

lol. Every team should buy out players cus buying them out costs less than keeping them on the roster.

Ridiculous post

NYI are a low budget cap floor team, they won't buy out any player on the roster let alone someone who will cost $26 mill to buyout.

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st for Rick Nash.

Rick Nash people.

Stop overvaluing Luongo

best case is what Rick Nash fetched and that is a stretch.

Howsen waited like 6 months to squeeze that out.

Non of those guys are superstars or even high end prospects, a 1st round pick from the rangers aint exactly awesome either.

I believe we will get something for Luongo but nothing more than that, you dam well know the they are using that trade as a benchmark.

Evidently you don't take seriously.

When someone says, oh the Islanders wouldn't give up their sixth rated prospect etc I don't take the response very seriously.

The difference between Luongo and Dipietro is that Dipietro is backing up the backup - as in 6 starts last season, with a .876 save percentage. That would be how it's any better. And Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA at season's end.

Is the Isles future Al Montoya?

Ok there WHL.

You're spinning your tires.

Some teams will use their buyouts - for two obvious reasons - they save 1/3 of the salary, and they save the entire cap hit.

And the point you make regarding the Isles was the point I was making - they can't afford the buyout - they can't afford the salary either - that would be the point of moving the 36 million dollar contract and cap hit of a player that's not even playing.

It will cost them regardless.

If you find that "ridiculous" you are really missing the point.

Yeah, that was kinda the whole point of oldnews's original post on this subject. The Isles can't because they can't afford to. Vancouver can. Trading DiPietro takes both the actual dollars and the cap hit off the books for NYI - and in exchange they pay 0.8 mil more per year to get a legitimate starter. Otherwise, as you rightly state, they're on the hook paying 4.5 for a goalie that's riding the pine at worst, and at best will likely never be the elite goalie he's being paid to be.

This is actually a pretty smart way for the Canucks to add value to a deal without having to worry about a significant impact on their cap hit.

Archived