The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Wasn't Grossman acquired for a 2nd and a 3rd? Why exactly would we overpay for him, in essentially the same year, with Luongo? He'd be a nice piece to the trade, but not the centrepiece. We don't need any more left D anyway.

I'd like to see something MASSIVE. Like:

Van

Voracek (F)

B.Schenn (F)

Meszaros (D)

Grossman (D)

Phi:

Luongo (G)

Edler (D)

I'm wet just thinking about it.

I think it is fairly easy to replace a 50 point D man when they get PP time with the Sedins/Kesler...

Ehrhoff did it the season before and look how that turned out for Buffalo. Same thing could happen to Edler if he was traded. Alternatively, Garrison could surpass last years output if he is playing with the Sedins on the PP, and so could a young heralded D man like Schenn.

I like Edler, don't get me wrong, but I really dislike our depth at RSD, and am not completely comfortable signing Edler to a long term deal without an elite RH player.

Heres a crazy thought. If Philly wants Luongo, Toronto still needs a goalie, and Van just wants the best return possible how about.....

Lou to Philly, Bryzgalov and Van 2nd to Toronto, Gardiner and Couturier to Vancouver.

Philly gets Lou for Couturier straight up, which they would probably do

Vancouver gets the best pieces offered from either teams (better than Gardiner+Kadri, better than Couturier +Grossman)

Which leaves Toronto.... would they give up Gardiner to take on Bryzgalov's contract? the second is compensation for that.. but this trade would still come down to them accepting it or not.

Yea, it`s fairly easy to replace a 50 point defenseman if you wanna pay 6 or 7 million for one. Or trade away half of your farm. Ehrhoff was a rare situation where San Jose wanted to dump him to get Heatley. I wouldn`t count on that happening too often.

50 point defensemen don`t grow on trees. It`s almost impossible to get them through free agency without overpaying for them.

The fact that we can likely re-sign Edler for 5 million, means it would be silly to let him walk. Why would we wanna sacrifice depth at left side D, for depth at right side D? That really doesn't make us any deeper.

Personally, I'm just speculating that his agent isn't willing to buy into the Canucks' internal $4.6m cap (likely $4.9m for Edler) on Dmen. If that's the case, there is precedent that Gillis won't budge financially (see Ehrhoff) so perhaps you package him up to Philly for couple of their young studs.

Archived