The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I certainly don't call Luongo "expendable". Disgruntled yes but "expendable"? No. You don't give a rookie a repeat President's Trophy team with a closing window to a Stanley Cup, akin to giving a Ferrari 360 Mondena to a 16 year old; he'll crash it faster than you can pay for it.

The coach is to blame on that one. And that's if there if blame to be had outside of an utter lack of effort against the Kings; the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

As for Boston, the entire world was for Boston, even our own National Television outlet CBC turned out to be in favor of Boston, as well as most Vancouver media outlets. They who were not in favor of Boston to win, we're not shy of letting their skeptical opinion known on the matter. Hell most Vancouver media personalities aren't even from Vancouver and they're supposed to rally the troops for the win?

The Canucks didn't help themselves either with late hits, embellishment, finger biting, walking into a fully gelled house of hate and coming back out with a broken back. To me, the series was lost when Rome got suswnded for a hit as equally devastating as the Brown on Henrik hit, then with Alberts having to knock on the penalty door to get in and then again confirmed after Daniel was bitch slapped by a tweeter rookie protected by some of the biggest bulls on the market.

Blame Luongo? No! Get him a god damned nasty crease clearing 1D FFS and get the team some much needed toughness and secondary scoring.

The mentality of all for one and one for all MUST be there. It was there for Chicago, it was there for Boston and it definitely was there for L.A.

I think Luongo willingly giving the go ahead to open the door for a trade is more telling than the actual event; the wheels have fallen off the wagon in Vancouver from the net up.

If it went as it should, Hodgson would be playing 2C this year. But no. Kesler's pride came before the team. Now the Canucks have to go fish not only for a 3C but also a 2C and that is until Kesler comes back and takes his position by right at 2C? I don't think so. AV is also not the most agile media magician, he also has had many blunders that have hurt the team.

To me, Luongo is more than just a trade. It is the story of a franchise in disarray.

One way to calm down this entire fiasco is to trade Schneider for much needed help in front of the net, in scoring and/or toughness. I would certainly take the chance of winning a Cup with a known goaltender and the extra help, than a fresh rookie with 70 games experience.

It just makes absolutely no sense whatever.

To say Luongo is worth close to nothing, giving up on him like that, the season hasn't even started, the CBA is still pending ratification from the NHLPA and the media frenzy is already growing, now including "surprise" Philly. Well SURPRISE! It's Luongo we're talking about here. That's how much he's worth around the league. Only Vancouver fans don't get it.

I am so sure Philly is ready to trade for an older mental case with a longer contract, and they cant buy Bryz out until after the season so you expect Philly to be thrilled to have Lu and Bryz on the same team?

I guess now with the new CBA a NTC and NMC are essentially the same, but with Bryz and his NMC, I think Lu would be much more likely to want to play in the centre of the universe more so than Bryz, so I doubt Bryz waives his NMC to go to Toronto.

To buy out Bryz to take on Lu would be outright stupidity because Lu and Bryz are equal right now.

ok first of all Schneider has been discussed, he's 26, and more than capable. Luongo willing to be traded is a guy who is a good team player. and while I won't touch the Hodgson debate specifically are you seriously about to turn Kesler into a whipping boy? Who else on this team is actually capable of playing 2C at Kesler's level when he's healthy? What is this by right nonsense?

ok first of all Schneider has been discussed, he's 26, and more than capable. Luongo willing to be traded is a guy who is a good team player. and while I won't touch the Hodgson debate specifically are you seriously about to turn Kesler into a whipping boy? Who else on this team is actually capable of playing 2C at Kesler's level when he's healthy? What is this by right nonsense?

Starting to think 101 is coach AV.

Divine rights like Lu saying do not pull me in game 3 against Boston was the beginning of our demise.

Divine rights is why a player playing better going into the World Juniors like Corrado did not get picked, it is why Malcolm Subban was given the undisputed #1 position until it was to late, even though in many of the games leading into the tourny the other goalies were playing much better.

You always do what is best for the team, and what is best for this team is to trade the guy did not put the team 1st(Luongo) , so you can keep the guy who trusted GMMG and signed a contract that even though Lu is still here saved Gillis a massive headache and not putting him in a bind by becoming a RFA.

Schneider is a 26 year old backup with great numbers. Is he a 1G? Fact is, we don't know yet whereas we know that Luongo has brought instant credibility to Vancouver as a perenial Cup competior. Never in its history was it considered as such. Whether the guy is 18, 26 ot 36, 70 games doesn't make you a sure thing. Luongo is a sure bet to get you into the playoffs and the meltdowns are an indication of other aspects of the game the Canucks play; not entirely Luongo's sole fault.

Concerning Kesler, no one can deny the massive ego that guy has. My contention is that Kesler's ego is bigger than the Canucks organization and has cost Hodgson who was deemed the next captain. When he's healthy, on this team, Kesler is the best option for 2C duty. But Kesler was injured while Hodgson was wanting to help and AV and Kesler didn't let that happen. Today, we might have had Hodgson playing part-time 2C while Kesler recovered just in time for the playoffs against th Kings, and Hodgson now ready to take on 2C duty while Kesler recovers for the two eventual surgeries he required. Kesler is at fault, as well as AV.

Call it nonesense if you must, the reality is, something went awfully wrong in the backdrop that has made for the Canucks losing their prized rookie and their 2C for an undertermined amount of time and now they're about to lose their 1G because it happens that they didn't fare well agaimst a team that went 16-4 on their way to a Stanley Cup. THAT, my friend, is utter nonesense.

I find I have been lucky enough to see my team lose to the eventual Stanley Cup winner three consecutive years in a row, blessed to have seen them win division and fonference after division after conference, two consecutive President's Trophies and one of the greatest athletes to wear the Vancouver uniform.

Most people give up just before being successful. To me, this is where the Canucks are. Three years of losing to the eventual Stanley Cup winner is a damn good thing. But greed and ego have their way of destroying good things. If the Canucks can resist trading Luongo for the sake of a trade, having two very fresh goaltenders going into te playoffs on a shortened, intensified season, they might just pull off a Stanley Cup win.

Giving this team to a rookie is formally closing the window of opportuity that is before us.

One bad playoffs and all the bandwagon fans in this city throw you under the bus. First Luongo then Edler. I shutter at the thought of who will be the scapegoat once Luongo is gone. Back to the Sedins? Schnedier? Edler again?

You have it all backwards. Luongo is 7 years older than Schneider. If we keep Luongo, which we won't, closes our window by a few years. Whereas Schneider is the younger and arguably better goalie and will be the Canucks' starting goalie, maybe even elite goalie, for the next ten years. What we get in the Luongo trade will make us younger, better, and keep our window open for a long time.

Check out what happens when teams decide to go that route. Colorado, Minnesota, NYR, Montreal, Vancouver and many other franchises made that very fatal mistake of believing in the other, younger guy. The revolving door starts and the team is eventually dismantled. No more is the franchise great.

Now that is exactly the reson I believe Vancouver will never win a Cup; the fans are too finicky, panic button friendly. Patience is not a word I would describe the average citizen living on a faultline.

Luongo haters/Schneider turned Cloutier haters/Luongo praisers will become Schneider haters/ Lack praisers within the next 3-5 years.

If the Philly myth is true, i can see them dishing up Talbot as part of their package. Fairly decent 2-way center made expendable by Couturier. $1.75m cap hit for 4yrs too. Not bad.

I'd also aim for Ben Holmstrom. Not a heckuva lot of upside, but another 'alright' undrafted pesty prospect. However the Canucks have a few of those types already.

Now that is exactly the reson I believe Vancouver will never win a Cup; the fans are too finicky, panic button friendly. Patience is not a word I would describe the average citizen living on a faultline.

Luongo haters/Schneider turned Cloutier haters/Luongo praisers will become Schneider haters/ Lack praisers within the next 3-5 years.

Archived