The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Now that is exactly the reson I believe Vancouver will never win a Cup; the fans are too finicky, panic button friendly. Patience is not a word I would describe the average citizen living on a faultline.

Luongo haters/Schneider turned Cloutier haters/Luongo praisers will become Schneider haters/ Lack praisers within the next 3-5 years.

If the Philly myth is true, i can see them dishing up Talbot as part of their package. Fairly decent 2-way center made expendable by Couturier. $1.75m cap hit for 4yrs too. Not bad.

I'd also aim for Ben Holmstrom. Not a heckuva lot of upside, but another 'alright' undrafted pesty prospect. However the Canucks have a few of those types already.

I'm a huge Schneider fan. In fact I personally hope Luongo is traded so we can get 1 or 2 scoring forwards which is the Nucks biggest hole right now. I have never been one to think the grass is always greener on the other side. I read these crazy forums completely open minded and open to all opinions. At the end of the day there's only one player we need to have faith in... Mike Gillis will make the best decision for this club. Outside of his opinion, this is all white noise.....

Oh ya, fans don't depict who wins the cup... Tampa Bay and Carolina won with a combined 15 fans.

I'm a huge Schneider fan. In fact I personally hope Luongo is traded so we can get 1 or 2 scoring forwards which is the Nucks biggest hole right now. I have never been one to think the grass is always greener on the other side. I read these crazy forums completely open minded and open to all opinions. At the end of the day there's only one player we need to have faith in... Mike Gillis will make the best decision for this club. Outside of his opinion, this is all white noise.....

Oh ya, fans don't depict who wins the cup... Tampa Bay and Carolina won with a combined 15 fans.

Now that is exactly the reson I believe Vancouver will never win a Cup; the fans are too finicky, panic button friendly. Patience is not a word I would describe the average citizen living on a faultline.

Luongo haters/Schneider turned Cloutier haters/Luongo praisers will become Schneider haters/ Lack praisers within the next 3-5 years.

SPORTSNET.CA/ESPN.COM: Mark Spector and Pierre LeBrun cite sources claiming Brian Burke’s unwillingness to swing a trade for Roberto Luongo was the last straw for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which fired Burke yesterday and replaced him as Leafs GM with assistant GM Dave Nonis. It’s believed Burke was leery about taking on the remaining ten years of Luongo’s twelve-year contract (at an average cap hit of $5.33 million per season). Spector predicts Nonis’ new press conference will be when he announces the acquisition of Luongo.

TORONTO SUN: Mike Zeisberger points out it was Nonis who, as Vancouver Canucks GM in 2006, acquired Luongo from the Florida Panthers. Zeisberger noted the mutual respect between the two, suggesting Nonis could forge ahead with plans to acquire Luongo in “ a deal that could very well involve Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri and a third element.”

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch also believes Nonis will push to acquire Luongo, suggesting the return to the Canucks could be ”Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak and a second round pick or some variance of that.” Garrioch also reported Senators GM Bryan Murray has received some inquiries from rival clubs about goalie Robin Lehner and Ben Bishop, but he isn’t ready to move either one just yet. Garrioch believes one of those clubs could be the Edmonton Oilers.

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: Joe Yerdon compiled rumors claiming the Philadelphia Flyers were getting into the bidding for Luongo. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren laughed off the speculation, but that’s done little to silence the rumors, which suggest the Flyers would buy out Ilya Bryzgalov this summer if they acquire Luongo this season.

Talking heads stop making sense in Roberto Luongo trade speculation

If you’ve been easing yourself back into Canucks coverage, there’s a good possibility you’ve missed something amidst the batcrap insanity that this Roberto Luongo storyline has managed to become. Yes, we’ve only been back since Sunday, but there have already been so manydevelopments in this Snakes-and-Ladders saga that keeping track of everything is next to impossible.

It began the moment the new CBA was announced. Immediately, hockey fans and media washed their hands of that unfortunate diversion and picked right back up where we left off: speculating tirelessly on Roberto Luongo’s next destination. And I do mean tirelessly. We’ve heard a lot about the soon-to-be-announced compressed schedule, but the real story of this week has been the compressed baseless speculation. In what can only be interpreted as a collective bid by the hockey world to make up for lost wasted time, these last five days have been like an episode of American Horror Story: flashbacks; flash forwards; nuns possessed by Satan; Nazi doctors; a murderer that wears a mask made of human skin; Adam Levine; aliens; zombies; a psychotic Santa; a woman that thinks she’s Anne Frank.

All of these things and Tyler Bozak have been rumoured to be part of a package for Luongo.

And then, right when we thought we’d narrowed it down — it was the Maple Leafs for sure, and simply a matter of what Brian Burke would give up — the entire story changed Wednesday. First, Brian Burke was fired and replaced by Dave “The Luongo Getter” Nonis, in what can only be described as a flabbergasting move. Seriously, not a flabber went ungasted. And then, just when we thought things couldn’t possibly get any more bizarre, the Philadelphia Flyers tossed their insane hat into the ring.

That’s right. No one knows crazy like Flyers’ GM Paul Holmgren, and the moment he sniffed it in this clownshow, he decided daddy wants a taste. Nevermind that he already has a kooky goalie signed for an eternity. You can never have too many of those.

Enrico Ciccone was the first to announce Philadelphia’s interest, but his name sounds like a WCW wrestler, so it wasn’t until James Duthie corroborated the report that, suddenly, this fever dream became real.

Adrian Dater later corroborated James Duthie’s corroboration.

Shortly after this, Paul Holmgren denied the twice-corroborated report. “”That made me chuckle,” Holmgren said to Frank Severalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “It’s safe to say those rumors aren’t true. They have no basis or merit.” But folks were quick to point out that Holmgrenoccasionally eschews the truth. And I would be quick to point out that the man is beyond impulsive. Maybe these rumours had no basis or merit… until the Philadelphia Daily News suggested it to him. In my mind, as soon as he hung up on Frank Severalli, Holmgren stroked his chin, then speed-dialed Mike Gillis.

Okay, so it’s the Flyers and the Maple Leafs. Oh, or a third team.

Amazing to think that, a day ago, some insiders were speculating that Roberto Luongo might get bought out. Now everyone wants him, maybe?

In any case, here’s what we know after five days back in the saddle with this nonsense: nothing. Maybe the Leafs are still the front-runner, but maybe they aren’t. Maybe they weren’t before, but they are now. Maybe the Flyers are interested. Maybe some other teams are.

What a clustercuss. Alex Jones thinks this deal needs to settle down.

But it could be worse. You think it’s confusing for you or for us? Imagine being Roberto Luongo, who isn’t just watching hockey’s version of that absurd moment where Willy Wonka terrorizes everyone along the chocolate river of goodness. He’s in the boat.

At this point, there’s simply no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going.

Meanwhile, in other Canucks’ goalie news on Wednesday, Cory Schneider wore an interesting hat.

@SportsnetSpec: @SportsnetSpec: Why Brian Burke was fired. @strombone1 My column: http://t.co/2qOzj0T2

@Michael_Traikos: #Leafs Nonis to Hockey Central on trading Gardiner or Rielly: "We would only move a young playuer for another young player." #Luongo

“@TEAM1040: Gilman: Luongo is in Vancouver and expectation is that he'll be at camp.”

Archived