The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I hope you're right because based on the top 300 scorers in the league, all the Nucks have is one scoring line. Our scoring depth is lacking as evidenced by what happens to our scoring when the Sedins struggle or are shut down. Defense and goaltending are not the Nuck's weak points...secondary scoring is. I hope Lu nets us a serious top 6 scoring center or wingman. That's the biggest missing piece.

Top 300 scorers in the league, and Canucks have only 1 scoring line? Where are you getting this? We were pretty deep last season in terms of scoring. 300 scorers is like 10 per team, I highly doubt that the Canucks 2nd line was worse than most teams 3rd lines. Backes was the blues leading scorer last year with 54 points, Edler alone almost had that much for the Canucks. When you have Higgins and Hansen playing 3rd line roles for much of the season but putting up 40 pts each, I think we're doing OK. The gap that needs to be filled is Kesler's 2nd line centre, while he's out to start the season.

How about a different look? Because we kinda could use a puck rushing D in spite of all the depth and skill we have!

Kadri, Bozak (plus a conditional pick please, or preferably Biggs cause we need more value?) for Lou as advertised.

Add Gardiner for Edler! We'll take on a cap dump (MacArthur?) to make the cap work. And we still have massive LW depth to trade for size at right wing and right D or whatever at the deadline! This helps them bg time cap wise. With MacArthur gone,and Connely expiring, possibly buying out Komisarek they can expect to have money to re-sign Lupul, Edler and Kessel. They get a Phaneuf / Edler top PP pair and a major media splash for their media owner Bell.

Voila; Toronto makes the play off's, and we get young puck moving defence (on an ELC) to add to a depth centre, plus passing and scoring right wing. And we get exactly asset's we need for Edler and Lou who we cannot afford. Bingo; we also probably win a cup and extend our window?

How about a different look? Because we kinda could use a puck rushing D in spite of all the depth and skill we have!

Kadri, Bozak (plus a conditional pick please, or preferably Biggs cause we need more value?) for Lou as advertised.

Add Gardiner for Edler! We'll take on a cap dump (MacArthur?) to make the cap work. And we still have massive LW depth to trade for size at right wing and right D or whatever at the deadline! This helps them bg time cap wise. With MacArthur gone,and Connely expiring, possibly buying out Komisarek they can expect to have money to re-sign Lupul, Edler and Kessel. They get a Phaneuf / Edler top PP pair and a major media splash for their media owner Bell.

Voila; Toronto makes the play off's, and we get young puck moving defence (on an ELC) to add to a depth centre, plus passing and scoring right wing. And we get exactly asset's we need for Edler and Lou who we cannot afford. Bingo; we also probably win a cup and extend our window?

Kadri can't play defense, he's just like Hodgson. AV won't trust him, he's still recovering from having to put Hodgson on the ice.

Once Kesler gets back Bozak would be useless. Lapierre is a better option for the 3rd line, he showed it in the playoffs. He centered our 3rd line to game 7 of the finals.

So I don't want an If and a throw-away for Luongo. Better deals can be had.

Well Schenn is obviously the more dynamic of the two, and he's pretty feisty.

But Couturier is 6'4" and is a better two way player. If Kesler struggles in the playoffs, Couturier would be much better suited to try and shut down guys like Thornton or Kopitar.

And I honestly think Couturier could beome a better player then Schenn down the road. Plus having a big skilled centerman ready to go for when the Sedins are done here would awesome for us.

Philly

Luongo

Kulemin

Franson

Van

Couturier

Bozak

Tor

Bryzgalov

Raymond

Connaughton

Van 2nd

Philly 2nd

Philly gets an elite goalie, and more depth to their Offense and Defense with solid additions that will play their physical style. They lose Couturier, an unwanted Bryz and a 2nd to acquire

Van gets immense center depth for years to come ensuring with Jensen, Kassian, Couturier, Bozak, Gaunce, and Hansen make a physical top 9 to ensure our competitiveness.

Toronto lose Franson, Bozak, and Kulemin 2 of which were RFA and in exchange load up on picks and prospects, they get their goalie, have a replacement for Kulemin immediately and essentially can have Reilly replacing Franson this year.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Higgins

Couturier Bozak Kassian

Malhotra Lapierre Hansen

Weise Ebbet Jensen/Gaunce

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Alberts Barker

Schneider

This is the kind of depth you need to win a cup.

Luongo seems very zen like lately. I like the new Luongo.

I'm thinking that if the Flyers did in fact inquire about Luongo, they may have said: if he's available after the season we would be interested.

Cause really it doesn't make that much sense for the Flers to acquire Luongo when they still have Bryzgalov. But come summertime, when they can use one of their buyouts on Bryzgalov, then it makes more sense.

I'm starting to think Luongo stays a Canucks for this shortened season though.

I can't see Philly trading one of the Schenn brothers, as that would surely sour the relationship with the other, so they are a package pair. Keep in mind that any trade sending Couturier or the Schenns this way would 100% have to be sending Gaunce the other way to help even out the loss of youth on Philly's end. It fits each respective team's windows as well since Vancouver needs a guy like Couturier right now instead of having to wait for Gaunce while Philly would still have Giroux, B. Schenn & Talbot as a very solid top three and Briere as a fall back option at centre if Schenn displays a need to move back onto the wing for more seasoning.

I can't see Philly trading one of the Schenn brothers, as that would surely sour the relationship with the other, so they are a package pair. Keep in mind that any trade sending Couturier or the Schenns this way would 100% have to be sending Gaunce the other way to help even out the loss of youth on Philly's end. It fits each respective team's windows as well since Vancouver needs a guy like Couturier right now instead of having to wait for Gaunce while Philly would still have Giroux, B. Schenn & Talbot as a very solid top three and Briere as a fall back option at centre if Schenn displays a need to move back onto the wing for more seasoning.

Archived