The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

i agree with you, people seem to knock his defensive game too much. His foot speed doesnt allow him to stand out defensively like hansen or burrows but he is a very intelligent player and far from being bad defensively. He got robbed of the mvp at the wjhc in my opinion because he played in all situations, including the pk.

Luongo Schroeder.

Couturier, Simmonds, Leighton.

Some Philly twitterers are suggesting that Grossman is a centerpiece, which is ludicrous. He was picked up for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick - he'd be a third pairing guy in Vancouver, a stay at home, penalty killer type, with virtually no offensive upside. I personally consider him a saw-off at best for Ballard (the version we have seen in Vancouver, or a downgrade on a healthy Ballard playing the role he is suited to).

Philly is absolutely loaded at RW. Their fifth best RW is Read, who put up 24 goals and 47 points last year - they are so stacked they have to move natural RWs(Giroux) to center. That is where they can most afford to move a player to strengthen their back end. I think a deal with them centers upon Couturier (not the Schenns) and their 4th or 5th RW - Simmonds or Read.

I think Schroeder is the type of guy who could fit well with the likes of Giroux, Briere etc, he'd lessen the pain of moving Couturier, and he's not likely to find a spot (behind Couturier) in Vancouver.

With Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Rinaldo, Schroeder and Holmstrom they'd be in fine shape up the middle.

And they could always move Bryz to TO for Franson and a 2nd lol.

If Lu doesn't end up in Fla, he's going to Philly IMO.

I've always said if there was an amnesty buy out, Philly would come calling about Lu. Considering they can't talk trades during lockout, Holmgren obviously made the call previous to Sept 15. There was a 'mystery team' calling before that date, I'm guessing it was Philly. Of course, the fact this info is now out there must have hit Homgren like a semi truck. He's got a $40+M crazy Russian goalie on his hands, the last thing he wants is that guy having a bird - in case he can't obtain Luongo and is stuck with him.

This Grossman speculation must be wrong, why would GIllis want another lefty d-man who's grossly overpaid for the next 4 yrs and has bad underlying numbers? The most pts he ever had in a season was 12 (4 yrs ago). Nuff said. I'd bet my condo he wants Couturier. I think he was the mystery '6th' targeted player in a Hodsgon trade. No way Holmgren wants to give him up, but if he wants Lu - he might not have a choice.

Question: is the "Luongo clause" officially in the new CBA? I've heard talk that if Luongo is traded and retires early then both Vancouver and the other team split the cap hit.

If this is true there are going to be a lot of surprised/angry people on CDC when they see how little Vancouver gets for Luongo.

Edit: by "I've heard talk" I meant from various radio shows (Bob McCown, etc).

Question: is the "Luongo clause" officially in the new CBA? I've heard talk that if Luongo is traded and retires early then both Vancouver and the other team split the cap hit.

If this is true there are going to be a lot of surprised/angry people on CDC when they see how little Vancouver gets for Luongo.

Edit: by "I've heard talk" I meant from various radio shows (Bob McCown, etc).

It's common knowledge that Ed Snider was the one yelling at Holmgren to sign Bryzgalov at any cost and Holmgren actually wanted nothing to do with the sieve but finally acquiesced to his boss' wishes.

If anything it's gotta be Ed Snider telling Holmgren that his demand of Bryzgalov was his own fault and he'd fix it by buying him out. What's $23m spread over 14 years, $1.65m per? That's peanuts to a guy like Snider especially if he knows it was his mistake after his entire management team advised him against the move prior.

I agree. A Bryz buyout is expensive but it isn't that bad for a team that was runnin an $80mil cap 10 years ago. Add in a playoff round or 2 would cover the costs. Bryz is brutal and the fact he is a headcase and has one of those contracts that gets penalized makes it more and more obvious that a buyout is highly possible.

Philly with Couturier and Bryz is significantly weaker than Philly with Lu and no Couturier

Yeah, I don't see why we need a center.

Ebbett, Schroeder, Lapierre, Higgins, Malholtra should be able to hold down the job until Kesler comes back.

Sedin Sedin Kassian <---It has been rumored that they will try this (Hopefully for more than 2 games)

Booth Higgins Raymond <---Without a great faceoff guy this line would have more offensive zone starts

Hansen Schroeder Burrows <---Hansen and Burrows are perfect 2 way guys to shelter and teach Schroeder

Lapierre Malholtra Weise <---I have high hopes that Malholtra could return to awesomeness after a long break

Ebbett, Volpatti

Obviously the lines can be shuffled in all sorts of configurations, but I would like to see Hansen and Burrows flanking Schroeder, because they are of the same mold that we are hoping to cast Schroeder from.

Yeah, I don't see why we need a center.

Ebbett, Schroeder, Lapierre, Higgins, Malholtra should be able to hold down the job until Kesler comes back.

Sedin Sedin Kassian <---It has been rumored that they will try this (Hopefully for more than 2 games)

Booth Higgins Raymond <---Without a great faceoff guy this line would have more offensive zone starts

Hansen Schroeder Burrows <---Hansen and Burrows are perfect 2 way guys to shelter and teach Schroeder

Lapierre Malholtra Weise <---I have high hopes that Malholtra could return to awesomeness after a long break

Ebbett, Volpatti

Obviously the lines can be shuffled in all sorts of configurations, but I would like to see Hansen and Burrows flanking Schroeder, because they are of the same mold that we are hoping to cast Schroeder from.

Archived