The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what about Drew Shore? The Canucks could still get a pretty decent return from Florida while they get to keep Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, and Kulikov.

That still leaves Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Alex Petrovic, Stephen Weiss, and Shawn matthias left to make a deal.

I'm not sure why Shores name has never come up, but it could make sense (especially for the Kadri haters out there)

I think winning now is more important than the future. You have the core of this team locked for the next two seasons. That is why trading Luongo for prospects does not make any sense. We do not need projects for the future. Our time to win is now.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what about Drew Shore? The Canucks could still get a pretty decent return from Florida while they get to keep Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, and Kulikov.

That still leaves Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Alex Petrovic, Stephen Weiss, and Shawn matthias left to make a deal.

I'm not sure why Shores name has never come up, but it could make sense (especially for the Kadri haters out there)

This is certainly part of it. But the fundamental issue remains. Schnieder is the superior goalie, on the way up, cheaper and better technically. Lou is aging, not better fundamentally, and has peaked, and in the plateau and eventual downswing of his career, and more expensive.

They both play behind the same defense and Schnieder has put up better numbers.

However, I partly agree, there are two things this team needs on Defense.

1. A tough stay at home player who plays a simple game and can make a quick outlet pass

2. A real top ten Dman - can Eddy be that, I think so, and hopefully this year proves it.

Not every team is going to have a Chara, Neidermayer, Pronger, Weber. There is a reason they are paid so much, bc everyone wants them and there are few around.

I think one of the issues on defense is actually our coaching. Our dmen have to be coached better on dzone coverage when their partner is in trouble, and how to provide an outlet, as do our forwards. Defensive zone coverage is a team issue not just dmen and yes when teams pressure our d they get running around and I get the willies.

You see it happening, you know whats coming and you pray our goalie will hold the fort. Unfortnately, Lou just doesn't seem to be able to do that as well a Schnieds now.

Man, I really hope if Luongo get's traded its with a pick/prospect for a guy like Gudbranson. That big, mean, mobile, shutdown defender is precisely what this team is missing. A Tanev - Gudbranson pairing would be dynamite, and Edler - Gudbranson would be legendary.

In terms of the timing of a Luongo deal if it were to happen, I think Gillis waits a little bit unless the value is there already. Lu is a work horse and can play 45-46 of the 50 games, and a hot goalie can bring you into the playoffs. Just watch, a few game into the regular season several unproven/aging goalies will struggle on teams like TB, WSH, NJ, CHI who are expected to challenge for a cup, the demand for a goalie of Luongos caliber will increase, and then Gillis will strike.

When the goalie market is in ashes, then Gillis will have my permission to trade

Archived