The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Raymond, Burrows, and Hansen were the most noticeable. They all had some nice snipe goals on both goalies.

No one really looked like they were out of shape. These guys have been training for awhile now. Alberts and Barker looked a bit slow, but that's just cause they are.

Lapierre looked strong and fast , and he must have worked on his faceoffs cause he was going toe to toe with Manny. and held his own.

Luongo looked like he was in good form. Had his glove flashing all practice.

Raymond, Burrows, and Hansen were the most noticeable. They all had some nice snipe goals on both goalies.

No one really looked like they were out of shape. These guys have been training for awhile now. Alberts and Barker looked a bit slow, but that's just cause they are.

Lapierre looked strong and fast , and he must have worked on his faceoffs cause he was going toe to toe with Manny. and held his own.

Luongo looked like he was in good form. Had his glove flashing all practice.

I agree with Gillis regarding Nash - when Nash was on the block, Gillis was asked when the Nash welcoming parade would be..."2018".

$7.8 million for a guy who put up 59 points and a -19 last year and has only hit 70 once in his NHL career, is a bit much imo.

Yes, he played for Columbus and all, but still, I think he's over-rated - in a class with Joe Thornton, Dan Heatley - 'great' players that I wouldn't necessarily want on my team.

Boy, Cory Schneider must be so happy that Luongo's still here.

Supposedly had the loudest applause at the practice today, fans chanting his name, etc. Suddenly, Luongo's the most popular Canuck that there is. Schneider's tenure as our starter hasn't even started yet, and he's already second in popularity to his backup.

This really has the potential to get ugly. If Schneider struggles to start the season, you can be sure that Luongo watching over his shoulder has a big hand in that. Shame on Mike Gillis for not dealing with this earlier, and letting it fester. Even if Lou is dealt before the season starts, the damage has been done.

Everybody can smile for the cameras at practice, where all is rosy, but I am pretty certain that behind the scenes, Cory Schneider is none too impressed with Roberto Luongo still being a Canuck.

@king of es: It's cynical to suggest Lu/Schneids statements are simply pc-fodder. Most fans of this team must appreciate the excellent character exemplified in our key players. I certainly believe these two blokes respect each other, & furthermore, could work well together through this shortened-campaign. Optimism go hand in hand with Gillis' methodical approach to his many options.

Get all absorbed in the half full/empty approach-sooner or later someone's gonna down what's left of your pint.

Boy, Cory Schneider must be so happy that Luongo's still here.

Supposedly had the loudest applause at the practice today, fans chanting his name, etc. Suddenly, Luongo's the most popular Canuck that there is. Schneider's tenure as our starter hasn't even started yet, and he's already second in popularity to his backup.

This really has the potential to get ugly. If Schneider struggles to start the season, you can be sure that Luongo watching over his shoulder has a big hand in that. Shame on Mike Gillis for not dealing with this earlier, and letting it fester. Even if Lou is dealt before the season starts, the damage has been done.

Everybody can smile for the cameras at practice, where all is rosy, but I am pretty certain that behind the scenes, Cory Schneider is none too impressed with Roberto Luongo still being a Canuck.

Put yourself in his shoes. After being drafted nearly an entire decade earlier, you're finally getting the opportunity - which you've earned - to be the team's starting goaltender.

Not only is the guy you're replacing the most decorated goalie the franchise has ever had - by a mile - the team has chosen to hang on to him and now training camp is starting and he's the most popular guy in the city. If they don't trade Luongo, and he's on the bench on opening night, what's going through your head? Knowing that an all-star goaltender is on the bench, ready to step in, and potentially even steal back his job. Not exactly confidence inspiring, is it?

Schneider is fine with Lu bring here, they are great friends, Schneider will still get his starts and even if Lu plays lights out things won't change. It should only put pressure on other teams (Toronto) to meet our price, since he is playing lights out, or else we keep him and he helps us in our cup run then we move him in the summer.

Source is not considered reliable by any stretch, hence not posted in the news thread:

Luongo to Leafs for Bozak & 1st (year not specified)

Mostly posting so that if it turns out correct, he will become the new SamJam (i.e. he must be right this time because he beat the insiders last time!!). Not releasing his name as it was simply a friend posting on Facebook, but he has some interesting connections.

EDIT: should note that he claims this is a done deal, not the current offer.

Archived