The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Boo hoo! If that is the case & Schneider is going to be rattled by legitimate competition for the #1 spot then maybe he should be the one in trade talks.

Since when is a player guaranteed a spot, especially the #1 goaltending position? If Schnieder is going to be our new #1 then he better get use to playing under pressure. Every other goaltender in the team's history has had to. I would have thought that having a legitimate back-up would motivate him to stay on top of his game.

Is it worth while to start the season holding onto Lu?

With a shortened season, any mistakes made by goalies will be even more glaring, impacting a team's playoff chances

Does MG risk that Toronto or Philly have the same issues as last year and hold onto Lu for the 1st 10 games and hope that Reimer or Bryz lets in some bad goals and cost their teams a couple of games?

This would give the Canucks a HUGE advantage for trades...

A few bad games can mean a lower playoff seed or even missing the playoffs.

If Bryz and Reimer play decent, we can just keep Lu and trade him in the offseason when teams can figure out their cap space with the amnesty buyouts...

Personally, I think the Leafs have nothing to offer outside of Phaneuf and Kessel. The rest of their players are an amalgamation of journeymen who would be considered plugs for Vancouver. The Canucks have enough if those. If I'm trading an allstar, gold medalist goaltender, you bet I'm asking fair value and fair value is seldom seen in this "best league in the world" for an allstar, gold medalist. So in the end, I make peace and keep him.

No major pieces help the Canucks. Luongo's role as a franchise goaltender is a massive void to fill. If Bozak's and Franson's roles can be filled on lowly Toronto, don't you think it means they don't even make the team in Vancouver? See T4D Ballard (PHX, FLA) who came here on a high and fell low very fast; bottom pairing low.

The cupboard doesn't win Cups.

The leafs are such a side show- I cannot believe what I am hearing it is hilarious.

They seem to be VERY interested in Luongo, but they do not want to give anyone up.

So far they have rejected Gardiner +Kadri for Lu and Raymond and they are rejecting Gunnarson + Bozak + Kadri for Lu and Raymond

these are just rumours obvi...

but what I am saying, is they need to pick a direction

either they shut up and pay up for a goaltender that instantly makes them better or they admit to themselves that they need to rebuild.

We all know Nonis from his days here, he is not a sharp guy-just like him to not know what he wants.

Sure Nonis, we will give you Lou for Connolly and Komisarek- you got it pal.

TOR

Luongo

VAN

Kadri

Bozak

Franson

2nd

No major pieces leave Toronto, both Bozak and Franson's roles can be filled, Bozak is a pending UFA anyways and Franson struggled big time last year, he's not quite as valuable as some here think.

We get depth in the 2 area's we need it, aswell has some things to add to cupboard.

Source is not considered reliable by any stretch, hence not posted in the news thread:

Luongo to Leafs for Bozak & 1st (year not specified)

Mostly posting so that if it turns out correct, he will become the new SamJam (i.e. he must be right this time because he beat the insiders last time!!). Not releasing his name as it was simply a friend posting on Facebook, but he has some interesting connections.

EDIT: should note that he claims this is a done deal, not the current offer.

So the latest rumor from hockeyyinsiderr is:

Luongo + Raymond + 3rd round pick

for

Bozak + Kadri + Gunarsson + 2nd round pick

I know it`s not the best source, but it`s still interesting to discuss. To me this is a horrible trade for us. We would be trading Luongo for Bozak and Kadri, and Raymond for Gunarsson more or less.

Raymond is a servicable player with a good cap hit. We shouldn`t just be tossing him in in a trade. We`re gonna need forward depth this season, and right now with Kesler out, I don`t think it`s as deep as it needs to be.

for

I know it`s not the best source, but it`s still interesting to discuss. To me this is a horrible trade for us. We would be trading Luongo for Bozak and Kadri, and Raymond for Gunarsson more or less.

Raymond is a servicable player with a good cap hit. We shouldn`t just be tossing him in in a trade. We`re gonna need forward depth this season, and right now with Kesler out, I don`t think it`s as deep as it needs to be.

for

I bet LU stays until the trade deadline. This shortened schedule is too condensed and will take its toll on Schneider if he has to play so many games without a solid backup up. So with that being said if we don't pick up a solid back up than why not go with two starters that give us a solid chance to win every night? Then come trade deadline assess the situation. If some fringe teams are really desperate to make it into the post season they will pay. Schneider will not be burned out because he would have shared the work load with LU. There is also the choice to keep LU for the playoffs and trade him at the end of this year's playoffs.

Archived