The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I agree with your geography take...to a point.

I think more important than actual miles travelled, (you're right, he'll be hopping on a plane no matter how you slice it) is time zones. Florida is his first choice, because it's home. Tampa would likely be disirable as well. However, outside of those two possibilities, I believe that Lou would prefer to be in the Eastern Time Zone and the Eastern Conference.

Not only would playing in the East provide him with regular stops in Miami, but it would also mean that on those occasions when he is able to visit home and family, he won't have three hours of jet lag to deal with.

Basically, it's the same reason that a road trip to Cali is easier for the Canucks to deal with than a Minny, Columbus and Nashville road trip. The distances aren't much different, (especially when you're sitting in a plane) but the fact that you are "losing time" as it were, makes travel across time zones more difficult to adjust to.

but i think you are drifting from the inital point made by DIBdaQUIB "When asked by the media if there was anywhere he didn't want to go, Lu was quick to say "Edmonton"."   .. its probably a handful of reasons,  geography, the city being a dive, their defense being crap, and possibly not liking individuals on the team.management

Millerdraft sort of planted the start of this idea in my head, so some credit there although his idea was different...Anyway:

To Vancouver:

Brian Campbell

Jose Theodore

Drew Shore

2nd round pick upcoming draft

To Florida:

Roberto Luongo

1.81/7.14 of Campbell's cap hit

Billy Sweatt

Main points:

1. GMMG has brought in both Cam Barker and Jason Garrison who had offensive successes playing next to Campbell, esp. on the PP.

2. The 1.81 million helps Florida hit the cap floor easily and washes out the cap difference between Luongo and Campbell.

3. Campbell has 4 years left on his big contract after this short season, so it isn't an incredibly risky contract anymore.

3. Drew Shore is leading his AHL team in points so far this year and would be ready to step in to start the year on Kesler's line.

4. FLA already has Bjustad and Huberdeau as good, young center prospects. 21 year old Drew Shore is a loss, but one they can afford.

5. Jose Theodore would be a good veteran who's handled pressure to play back up to young Cory Schneider, this guy had a decent SVP last year and it has only been a few years since he won the Masterton trophy.

6. Luongo has family ties to Florida and previous success.. in a 48 game season they COULD luck out a bit and make the playoffs.

7. Billy Sweatt has shown offensive regression in the past two years since his brother left (inc. this year) a fresh start is probably ideal for him.

8. With Jovo, Kuba, Gudbranson, Kulikov, Weaver, Ellerby and Strachan the Cats still have 6-7 NHL ready defenseman. Petrovic will also make a run - they might be 1 depth signing away, but Luongo would help their defensive game tremendously.

Canucks line-up to start the year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Shore - Booth

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

________ - Malhotra - Kassian

Volpatti, Weise, Ebbett and Pinizzotto all battling for that last spot.. or one more depth signing.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Campbell - Barker

Alberts, Vandermeer

Cory Schneider

Jose Theodore

Eddie Lack

We still don't believe you, and neither does Lu (he's mentioned he wouldn't want to go there) and according to Bill Watters, neither does Gillis.

It's a trade to a team very far from Florida (and much colder than here) who is also a divisional rival. Not to mention Edmonton's side in all this, where they have a good, young goalie and don't really want to give up star assets for a potential upgrade.

If Edmonton can't at least challenge for a playoff spot this year, I could see them being interested, but not now.

Fine, don't believe me then. The fact is a have more valid "sources" than most people on here. I just respect these people to not mention who they actually are. I know that people have been let go before for leaking out info before it was supposed to in the past.

I never said he wanted to go to Edmonton, just they had a lot of interest. I do agree, it wouldn't be a smart move to trade with them given being division rivals and I am not keen on taking back small forwards. His first choice is obviously Florida but they don't want to give us the pieces they want. It will interesting to see how it plays out.

I think Nonis should give it up with the Burke poker face.

Burke was believable - when he says he's stubborn enough not to pay a price for goaltending, I didn't doubt him. We've seen how he operates.

But Nonis is the one that went public that the Leafs need a veteran goaltender. An admission that put Burke between a rockier and a harder place.

Now he's saying things like 'we want a veteran but we don't want to trade any players that would make the team in front of him not quite as good, and we don't want to trade our young players, and we don't want to move any of our young reserve assets....'

Santa Claus has already come and gone. If he didn't drop a veteran goaltender at center ice of MLG, the Laffs may want to put their Lalala dreams to rest. In real life, most of us have to pay for things.

Archived