3455 replies to this topic

#3031 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

its got to be a team that doesn't have a goalie. one where the goalie is a missing piece.

flyers: have said openly they support bryz. probably not them.

Might be the Columbus idea someone mentioned here, makes a certain amount of sense...

Why it could be Columbus:

1. They need to get into the playoffs. Didn't the owner at one point say something about they need to make the playoffs, even something about free tickets the following year if they didn't? The owner wants to win, but they have no goaltending.

2. Lu can get a team like that into the playoffs.

3. You can make a case that they are an up and coming team - they have a lot of topish draft picks in their system. Lu might want to go there (closer to Miami too).

Edited by canucksnihilist, 22 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#3032 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Van + Chicago both scream laughing into this deal. Buffalo gives up Ott, Grigorenko and Miller?

Did you get one of those MMA illegal hits to the back of the head?

Why/How does BUF get hosed?

Chicago gets a world class goalie AND a world class C. Essentially Miller for Luongo is a wash so they are trading Ott and Grigo for Patrick Kane.

I don't think you will get Kane for less than Grigo + Ott. It's a pretty good deal actually. What do you think Patrick Kane will cost, Ballard + Raymond .....??

#3033 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Just a year or 3 ago Miller was their franchise player; at that time the undisputed best goalie in the league. Taking Kane but giving up Ott (who they just traded for) and Grigorenko does nothing for their ability to ice a team that can match up against physical eastern conference teams.

They're weak at centre, certainly small, and Grigorenko is a bonafide blue chip 6'3" 200 lb centre. 200 lbs at age 18 and he's already made their team. Would you do it if you were the GM?

Your possibly right that the "value" is not horrible but IMO it would be a horrible trade to stomach trading their franchise player and giving up completely on a stated goal of being able to ice a physically competitive team.

I don't think it's outrageous. They do get Kane back. Would you trade Ott and Grigorenko for Kane??

They just signed Ott for a good reason, and Grigorenko is their top prospect, so I doubt they would do it, but it's plausible.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 22 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#3034 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Gillis said that the team he is rumoured to have a deal in place with is not one that you'd expect. IMO, if Gillis is telling the truth, it eliminates Philly, as this is a team that has been rumoured to be interested in Lu prior to this news.

Washington makes sense to me. Maybe the Canucks are interested in Ribiero? Washington would need to move one of their goalies to make room for Lu. Ribiero could actually fit as second line centre even if Kes came back.

EDIT: Though that would leave the Caps pretty thin at centre, so I'd guess they'd want to deal Holtby/Neuvirth for a centre as well... Maybe not the best trading partner for the Canucks after all..

Edited by Down by the River, 22 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#3035 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,546 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I find it hard to believe that Luongo would go to Philly.

I understand that "all signs point" to the Flyers and Bryzgalov with the mystery player, but I find it hard to believe that they would turn their back on him after the big contract and only one season. Yes I understand he played dismal in the post-season, but I find it unlikely that they would bring in Luongo over him (at this point).

. No one thought they'd move Richards and Carter after signing them long term. Anything is possible with them.

Edited by Madness, 22 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes

cookie.png

#3036 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,538 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Maybe Minnesota is on the market with Backstrom going UFA and Harding being diagnosed with MS... plausible.

Don't see Luongo waiving for Minny though. Who do they have?

Edited by canuckster19, 22 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#3037 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

This seems a little odd.. It's totally not gillis style to come out and say this.

Part of me thinks it has to be true otherwise why would he stir the goalie controversy more?

But part of me also thinks every deal he makes comes out of nowhere so why would he announce it early this time?

A little confused right now....

#3038 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Lol!!!! Dude really? You're blaming a snipe that no goalie in the
NHL would ever stop on Lou??

Dude, I know nothing about hockey? Hmm you see kid:

1. Goalies don't stop every shot that's the first part you need to understand, this isn't
NHL 13 on your ps3.

2. He was taking away the lower part of the net bc Eberle was on
A tough angle and the likelihood of him roofing it from there is so low lou played the
Probabilities. 99 times out of 100 a player won't put it where he did bc it is an incredibly tough shot.

3. It ain't ps3 those shots are elite level talent that got a bit of luck.

Pretty clear you've never strapped on a pair of skates there champ.

...again...it shows you know nothing. Lou had the angle, could have stood there and there would have been no net, thus no goal. Lou said he goofed..so...buy into it GHL.

#3039 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

You can cross Columbus and the Isles off your list as non-starters. There's no way Lou will waive his NTC to go to a team that's among the worst in the league.

Columbus, maybe, but he might not be against the NYI. It was the club that drafted him, they are moving into a new building in NYC, and that area has the highest population of Italian Americans in the country.......something I'm sure his wife would be happy about. They also have a young team that could do some damage if they had a goaltender, and some coaching!

#3040 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Lecavalier, Lindback for Luongo + ballard. TB names Stamkos their captain. Makes perfect sense
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#3041 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

This seems a little odd.. It's totally not gillis style to come out and say this.

Part of me thinks it has to be true otherwise why would he stir the goalie controversy more?

But part of me also thinks every deal he makes comes out of nowhere so why would he announce it early this time?

I feel the same way. Why would he do this now..

1. He's attempting to take heat off the team after back to back losses. He has changed the narrative until Calgary game on Wednesday.
2. Gillis is attempting to raise Luongo's value.
3. MG is telling the truth.

I think the most likely scenario is #1.

Edited by WHL rocks, 22 January 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#3042 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hate to say this but Bryz has been good so far this season so I don't think it's the Flyers. The 0-2 start that we are off to isn't because of him. Homer is not pulling the trigger after 2 games.

That said, if Holmgren has any reservations about Bryzgalov, they won't be settle after only two games.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3043 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

...again...it shows you know nothing. Lou had the angle, could have stood there and there would have been no net, thus no goal. Lou said he goofed..so...buy into it GHL.

I question your knowledge , Edler should have never let Eberle skate around him and get any type of quality shot on Lou.

Poor defense was the issue on that goal

Edited by ccc44, 22 January 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#3044 Topshelfer

Topshelfer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

The Luongo Saga continues or will it end this week?
Posted ImageI frequent the "RED LIGHT" district!

#3045 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Lecavalier, Lindback for Luongo + ballard. TB names Stamkos their captain. Makes perfect sense

So what you are saying is that we should give up one huge contract for another. Lecavalier signed with the previous TB owners for 100 million over 10 years!! So we rid our selves of Lu's contact at 5.5 million cap hit for double by taking on Lecavalier. We wouldn't have the cap space when it drops next season from the present 70 million to 64 million. Lu will go to either of 2 teams and we all know who they are!!!........

#3046 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

The number of times I will be refreshing the front page of this forum will be greater than the number of times Raymond will fall down this year.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#3047 HUFFY

HUFFY

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

The number of times I will be refreshing the front page of this forum will be greater than the number of times Raymond will fall down this year.

LMAO = nothin' like bein' left hangin' eh??!!.....way to Gillis!!!......

#3048 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

On possible WSH deal I think it would be possible to get MoJo from them. I think it makes most sense from both sides as he'd be a perfect 3rd line C on our team and can comfortably fill in as 2nd line C until Kesler returns.

I would do a deal if we got MoJo back. He's exactly someone that helps now and in the future.

Johansson would be a great fit. He'd fit the 2nd line centre role nicely until keslers return. The only thing is I don't think you are seeing the true potential of this kid. Right now he's playing 1st line wing with ovie and backstrom and doing pretty well at it. I'm not saying they'd want more than luo but it would be a step back if we put him back to 3rd line centre. I'd see a better fit with him at the wing along side kes and kassian.

I'd still like to keep dreaming about Forsberg tho. In my dream world first WSH has to wait on trading Neuvirth. They will get more value out of him before a luongo trade Then...

VAN
Booth, Luongo, Gaunce, 1st 2013, Tanev(possibly)

WSH
Forsberg, Johansson, Hamerlik

Kuznesov said that he wants to play in the NHL he just felt his chances of making the Olympics would be better if he played in Russia So in a few years WSH roster looks

Ovie - Backstrom - Booth
Wilson - Kuznesov- Ribeiro(?)
Galiev - Perreault - Ward
Crabb - Beagle - Chimera

Green - Alzner
Carlson -Orlov
Erskine - Kundratek

Luongo
Holtby

#3049 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

NYI may have to do something with DiPietro so maybe they are the team to which Mike Gillis refers.

Maybe it is Tavares for Luongo; remember, NYI management is nuts.

Luongo approves trade to NYI because it's Eastern time zone and closer to his home.

NYI gets a big name to promote their new arena.

#3050 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

My guess what's holding up the one potential deal is Eddie Lack's ability to play net yet.

#3051 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Patrick Marleau? pending the signing of Gomez. Marleau can play left wing/center and a veteren player that would fit well on the Canucks.

#3052 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I question your knowledge , Edler should have never let Eberle skate around him and get any type of quality shot on Lou.

Poor defense was the issue on that goal

Though he got beat to the outside by, arguably, the best dangler in the league, he did keep him outside and on his backhand. Sure Edler takes a bit of the responsibility there, but the vasy majority goes to Lu on that one.........he had terrible, terriblt position on that shot.......it came from outside the dots and below the bottom of the circle. On the replay you can see his left should is parallel with the goal line. I don't know what goalie school you went to, but that was a bad goal to let in any situation.

#3053 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Patrick Marleau? pending the signing of Gomez. Marleau can play left wing/center and a veteren player that would fit well on the Canucks.

I really don't see MG sending Luongo to a team in the West......too much motivation if they face him in a playoff series.

#3054 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

"one team that has to do something with another player that they have"

To me this sounds like something in the future, not like tomorrow but maybe a few weeks.

An injured player, pending contract?

I dont see a NTC in that sentence.

But see, there is no way Gillis would say something like this unless he was pretty sure it was going to happen or it was close to happening. Otherwise all he's doing is stirring the pot even more, which certainly isn't fair to Luongo seeing as he still has to play until he's traded.

#3055 Nox

Nox

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Gillis must have noticed too many fans were still waiting for the next shipment of Luongo jerseys at 50% off.

#3056 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I really don't see MG sending Luongo to a team in the West......too much motivation if they face him in a playoff series.

Makes for good hockey for both clubs. Both players have something to prove to the doubters of each fan base.

#3057 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hockey Central talking about Luongo and MG's comments re potential deal..

They also think it's WSH Capitals.

So like I said earlier. MoJo + for Lu + ?

Luongo and Raymond for MoJo and Ward?

#3058 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Though he got beat to the outside by, arguably, the best dangler in the league, he did keep him outside and on his backhand. Sure Edler takes a bit of the responsibility there, but the vasy majority goes to Lu on that one.........he had terrible, terriblt position on that shot.......it came from outside the dots and below the bottom of the circle. On the replay you can see his left should is parallel with the goal line. I don't know what goalie school you went to, but that was a bad goal to let in any situation.

Dude your usually dead on with your analysis but I think the blame is pretty equal. Edler was clearly beat on that play. As a defensemen you try to drive a player outside forcing them behind the net. You never let a player drive to your net with the possibility of cutting in front of the net. But I agree that is also a goal that the goalie should stop. It was a damn impressive shot though to roof it top shelf with that amount of space going at that speed.

However I think both are equally to blame.

#3059 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Man I wish this whole Loungo saga would end and the guy would get traded already just to end all this speculation and drama. I swear it's the first thing anyone talks about when the Canucks are brought up.

#3060 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Eklund, (I know, that's why it is in this thread), thinks Lu is going to the Stars. Package for Benn??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.