The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

A bunch of random teams without logical reasons behind why they might want Luongo is not exactly convincing.

It's not cheaper. They're buying out the contract and then filling his spot with some other guy (contract). It'd only work in cases like Gomez's, where the salary is so massive that savings actually can be realized.

Which goalie is going to get bought out to acquire Luongo? Bryzgalov? Highly unlikely. Niemi? Old team with a bleak future, not a realistic buyer. Hiller? Ducks future also bleak, with Getzlaf & Perry possibly/likely on their way out. Why would they want Luongo?

Who's going to get bought out?

No guarantee that he'd walk. If he fit in well, it would not be an issue to fit him under the cap. Higgins & Lapierre were also supposed to walk at the end of the year they were acquired. They fit in, so they were extended.

What about the minimum of 10 games where we'll have either Jordan Schroeder or Max Lapierre as our second line center while Kesler's gone? Can we really afford to have zero secondary scoring on this team?

Then the Canuck should keep him. It is too tough of schedule to give him away.

According to HI (I know), its Gunner, Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd with Nucks giving up Lu, Ray, 3rd.

2 of the TO players are up for contract raises, 1 is a mid-prospect that most Leaf fans would give up and a 2nd pick that has a very high chance of amounting to nothing.

If only TO is involved Gardiner or Rielly have to becoming back or it does not make the Canucks better, unless, there is a 3rd team that is involved that want the Leafs secondary players.

Leafs are lookin for another Phaneuf deal. Give enough secondary players for a top player. The Canucks have enough of those. Gillis is/needs to move Lu and whatever secondary pieces for blue chip. If that trade is not there then the Canucks need to keep him. Best tandem in the league. When every teams goalies are exhausted going into the playoffs, the Canucks will have 2 fresh elite goaltenders. That is worth more than an abundance if secondary players.

Oh yeah we should definitely try to get the 2nd as well, I'm sure MG will get the best deal possible.

OK I know both of us think we aren't getting Gardiner or Couturier or B Schenn etc but....

I've been thinking since last night that because Gardiner is injured and he can't be traded until cleared, perhaps there is reason for hope that MG could pry Gardiner out of TOR. Maybe this is the reason Lu hasn't been traded yet. Once Gardiner is cleared then the trade could be consummated.

Canucks also need a backup goalie if Lu traded, so Reimer may also be coming this way

Jake Gardiner + Kadri + Reimer for Lu + Raymond + Schroeder or Sauve

What do you think?

3 way deal involving Toronto, Philly and of course Vancouver

To Toronto : Bryzgalov + Van 1st + Phi 1st (5.66 cap hit)

To Philly : Luongo + Edler (8.55 cap hit)

To Van : Couturier + Read + Gardiner (3.385 cap hit)

toronto gets a bonafide starter to hold the fort until the riemer/scrivens combo develop properly. Plus a couple of picks to speed up a much needed rebuild.

philly gets a bonafide starting goalie, and a consoloation prize on losing out on weber in edler.

vancouver didnt aquire the best player in the deal but still looks the best on paper. an injection of youth in all positions FWD, D and G (schneids) will allow time for injured vets to heal. vancouver gets temporary cap relief in the form of ELC's, but only for two years (cup window) all vancouver is missing is a reliable backup goalie

3 way deal involving Toronto, Philly and of course Vancouver

To Toronto : Bryzgalov + Van 1st + Phi 1st (5.66 cap hit)

To Philly : Luongo + Edler (8.55 cap hit)

To Van : Couturier + Read + Gardiner (3.385 cap hit)

toronto gets a bonafide starter to hold the fort until the riemer/scrivens combo develop properly. Plus a couple of picks to speed up a much needed rebuild.

philly gets a bonafide starting goalie, and a consoloation prize on losing out on weber in edler.

vancouver didnt aquire the best player in the deal but still looks the best on paper. an injection of youth in all positions FWD, D and G (schneids) will allow time for injured vets to heal. vancouver gets temporary cap relief in the form of ELC's, but only for two years (cup window) all vancouver is missing is a reliable backup goalie

So some wingers and a pick? Might be good return, but does it help us since we could use a center to replace Kesler and/or fill in on the 3rd? It's not necessary we upgrade there, since we may do ok with what we have, but it's an area of uncertainty for us for sure.

After that though, a new tidbit on Edmonton:

Watters is a former asst. GM to the Leafs for those unsure.

Not sure why they would be, as I'd trust Dubnyk with a young and growing team so long as they give him help on D.

Dont count on it , Most of there young guns have been playing together already this yr and being so young with a condensed season and now with a yr or more of experience there is a very good chance they thrive while veteran teams may struggle to get going and deal with injurys because there not in game shape , I would not be surprised if they take the NW title this year

Dont count on it , Most of there young guns have been playing together already this yr and being so young with a condensed season and now with a yr or more of experience there is a very good chance they thrive while veteran teams may struggle to get going and deal with injurys because there not in game shape , I would not be surprised if they take the NW title this year

The Edmonton young guns put up a point per game pace or above in the AHL and the team only finished as one of the bottom playoff seeds ( 6th or 7th I believe). Now I think its safe to assume that that level of production will not occur at the NHL level so unless Yakupov puts up unreal numbers or Dubnyk pulls an Elliot type jump in numbers I do not see them coming anywhere near the division title with their team as currently constructed..If we don't take it Minnesota has a better chance than Edmonton.

Back on topic though I really don't like what has been suggested in the leafs proposals..if possible I'd much prefer the likes of Gagner or Weiss over Bozak and prospects like Huberdeau over Kadri. I understand that to get these pieces it'd cost a little more than the guys offered in the Toronto deals but I'm hoping Gillis can coax a team into making a deal involving those guys

Archived