The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Canucks looking for a center and a top 4 defenseman.

Goc and Gudbranson held out of the lineup. (With "injuries")

Coincidence?

I'd take Gudbranson over Gardiner any day. He's that big number 1 this team has needed forever. I doubt Tallon would part with him, but stranger things have happened.

Gagner is definitely one of the pieces Edmonton would be trying to send back. They are using the fact his dad works for the Canucks as bait.

I brought this whole Edmonton thing up a couple months ago and because I wouldn't reveal my "source" you didn't believe me.

With all these crap offers coming from Toronto I say gillis just goes out and gets Arrnott. He can easily fill in for Kesler until he comes back. Then we can slot Arrnott as 3rd line center. I think a line with Hansen Arrnott Kassian would be alright. Thoughts?

Coincidence?

I'd take Gudbranson over Gardiner any day. He's that big number 1 this team has needed forever. I doubt Tallon would part with him, but stranger things have happened.

Coincidence?

Coincidence. Luongo is NOT worth Gudbranson and Goc. Gudbranson is a top prospect in the league. The only way we're getting him is if we're shipping off a defenseman of high quality with Luongo (think Tanev, give or take a first round pick). He's going to be unreal.

From mr trip

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis

Luongo: "I'm willing to stay here this season because it will be short. But I don't want to stay here long term." via @RenLavoieRDS

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

@passittobulis Roberto also said that he's got the same mind set than when he was playing for Team Canada in the olympics

he undoubtedly wants out

anyone that says anything different is completely blinded from selective Luongo sensory disorder.

It's too bad I don't care anymore and I just want the season to start

And where did I say a goalie would be bought out in order to trade for Luongo? Might wanna try reading a little closer. I said buyouts can happen in the summer, meaning teams can free up cap space from one player in order to afford Luongo's salary. And of course it will be cheaper, because the team would not be paying a player that isn't producing, and they would solve their goaltending problem; which they would have to do regardless.

Luongo wasn't developed in Vancouver. He was acquired for Bertuzzi essentially - a guy whose career was in the lurch, and whose production dropped off entirely after leaving Vancouver. I'm not sure you got the point. Luongo's been here six years, and is still worth what the Canucks gave up to acquire him. There is really no potential 'loss' here.

Most folks here think there's no way Tallon moves Gudbranson.

However Gudbranson isn't an entirely low risk acquisition - he's had illness and injury problems, and dislocated his shoulder in late August, requiring surgery. Dislocation is a high risk of recurrence injury (I had 5 complete shoulder dislocations as a young athlete). The ligaments running accross the humerus are torn. The shoulder has the greatest range of motion of any joint in the body, and needless to say the leverage applied to the shoulder in the sport of hockey in general, and shooting the puck, is significant. To put it in perspective, recovery from surgery can optimistically take 4 months. He's still recovering, and wasn't expected to return to the Panthers in any event, but to a stint in San Antonio.

His rookie season wasn't terribly impressive either. He's young, but his numbers weren't great - he had a -1.3 relative corsi, 51% offensive zone starts, and only a handful of Panthers faced a weaker quality of competiton.

Put yourself in his shoes. After being drafted nearly an entire decade earlier, you're finally getting the opportunity - which you've earned - to be the team's starting goaltender.

Not only is the guy you're replacing the most decorated goalie the franchise has ever had - by a mile - the team has chosen to hang on to him and now training camp is starting and he's the most popular guy in the city. If they don't trade Luongo, and he's on the bench on opening night, what's going through your head? Knowing that an all-star goaltender is on the bench, ready to step in, and potentially even steal back his job. Not exactly confidence inspiring, is it?

No coincidence. They are both suspended until medically cleared to play.

Gudbranson is suspended because he went wake boarding and injured himself a couple of months ago. Needed shoulder surgery.

Goc was injured in Germany while playing hockey during lockout.

If we do keep Luongo (which looks like what's gonna happen at least to start the season) I say we go with whichever goalie is hot going into each game. Given that the two goalies as it currently stands are comparable talent wise with no massive dip in production going either way this would allow us to showcase both and if the right package comes around (be it at the deadline, next offseason or at some point during the season) for either goalie Gillis can pull the trigger.

The only danger I see in this is that one of them struggles all season (unlikely but possible) and that tanks his trade value from the point its at now

Archived