3455 replies to this topic

#3181 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I think the most likely candidates are now SJ, WSH, NYI.

Main pieces
San Jose: Couture/Pavelski
Washington: Johansson
NYI: Niederreiter.

Although with Washington, I don't know how Gillis' comment on the trade involving 'another player' could be relevant?

I'm pretty certain it will be San Jose.

But I'm even more certain there's not a chance in hell we're getting Couture from them.

Edited by D-Money, 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

#3182 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

@TSN1050
Bob McKenzie: Oilers are interested in Luongo and Chicago has had long interest. Says list of teams he WON'T go to isn't that long

Not really sure anyone knows which team it is, but there's obviously a hang-up delaying things.

Luongo would have a meltdown every time his own team scored a goal :lol:

aXmDa9t.gif

#3183 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not that I believe Luongo will end up with the Islanders but...

Couldn't the Canucks and Islanders share a buyout of DiPietro? I was thinking that if such was possible, then a deal of Luongo and Ballard to the Islanders for DiPietro and whatever could work, no?

The Canucks would use up one of their buyouts as they are unlikely to otherwise use them, take only half the buyout hit from DiPietro, get a good player, picks and other assets.

The Islanders, with lots of cap space, get Luongo, Ballard, half of DiPietro's buyout cap hit.

Win/win?

regards,
G.

I don't think you could share a buyout per se but the Isles could agree to keep half of Dipietro's salary and cap hit in a deal essentially making it the same thing. However, you'd need to ask yourself, would the Canucks rush to buy out Dipietro if his cap hit was just $2.25 mil? Maybe they would hang on to him for a year or two to see how he plays in a limited role here.

I do think elvis15 was on to something about Streit though. Perchance the 'other player' MG was refering to is Lubo and that the Isles are reluctant to move Streit until they know Visnovsky is reporting. That would make perfect sense to me

Lou
Ballard
Raymond

for

Streit
Bailey
Nino
Dipietro ( whereby NYI absorb 50% of his cap hit )

Alternatively I could also see in MG's quote that he may be pushing for Nabokov in place of a cheapened Dipietro. This would answer the question about his comments regarding taking back cap they don't want and 'not what they're trying to do'. What they're trying to do is get one year out of Nabby and promote Lack next next. Maybe?

It could be all a push to get the Isles to absorb Dipietro's contract.

Edited by theminister, 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#3184 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Bluejackets? First off, I love the Jackets. Bobrovski has played well so far this year but Luongo would be a significant upgrade. The team seems better this year without RN61. Nationwide arena is a great arena. The arena district would remind you a lot of Yaletown. Columbus is a lovely town. Its very easy to fly to FLA from Columbus. Takes like no time to get through security. I think Roberto would like it. I think they could be the mystery suitor. They need some leadership...I don't think they even have a captain at this time.

Perhaps....Luongo and MayRay for Ryan Johansen (bring back a vancouverite!) and Foligno? I like that deal more for vancouver than the jackets but as a jackets fan, I don't hate it. MayRay gets a fresh start and would be an upgrade on Foligno. We get an instant second line. They lose a great prospect but gain an elite goalie.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#3185 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Apparently, Luongo deal is done

#3186 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,425 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Source?

If you are referring to MG's quote...welcome to the party. You're late.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#3187 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Luongo for his time with the Canucks, and wish him all the best in San Jose (unless we meet in the playoffs).
Posted Image

#3188 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I also think it is the Sharks. Their GM knows how to make bold moves. The problem is I just don't see Pavelski coming here. He'd be almost the perfect fit. He would fill the 2nd Center spot until Kesler returns and than switch to RW. A Burrows-Kesler-Pavelski line would be an unreal double threat line. I actually think it will be Marleau and Clowe for Luongo and Booth. I'd rather go with Pavelski if we can snag him though.

#3189 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,338 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Unless you provide a source no one is gonna believe you.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3190 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think a very key part of this deal is - the Canucks do not have a possible back-up available right now.

Lack just returned to the ice yesterday, and I doubt the Canucks are going to want to take a 'cap dump' for a back-up....

Which could be part of the delay of the deal.

Edited by Squeak, 22 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

Posted Image

#3191 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think a very key part of this deal is - the Canucks do not have a possible back-up available right now.

Lack just returned to the ice yesterday, and I doubt the Canucks are going to want to take a 'cap dump' for a back-up....

Which could be part of the delay of the deal.

But I'm certain the Canucks wouldn't mind a veteran back-up with some experience. As long as his contract isn't too pricey or long.

Niemi has two years left at a 3.8 cap hit, which is quite manageable. And he definitely has experience, and would be capable to handle things if Schneider was hurt for a while.

Pavelski + Niemi have about the same combined cap hit as Luongo + Raymond...
Posted Image

#3192 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm pretty certain it will be San Jose.

But I'm even more certain there's not a chance in hell we're getting Couture from them.

But one can dream :- )

In all seriousness though, I'm thinking Pavelski is the greatest possibility. Maybe Clowe, but probably Pavelski.

#3193 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

But I'm certain the Canucks wouldn't mind a veteran back-up with some experience. As long as his contract isn't too pricey or long.

Niemi has two years left at a 3.8 cap hit, which is quite manageable. And he definitely has experience, and would be capable to handle things if Schneider was hurt for a while.

Yeah - I don't doubt that they wouldn't mind acquiring a veteran back-up with a reasonable contract.

But those are few and far between.

If we acquire Niemi - that is still $7.8M tied up in goaltending.... which is about $2.0M too much. (not too mention Lack is on a one-way next year, thus counts against the cap next season; whether he is in the NHL or AHL)

Edited by Squeak, 22 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

Posted Image

#3194 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I also think it is the Sharks. Their GM knows how to make bold moves. The problem is I just don't see Pavelski coming here. He'd be almost the perfect fit. He would fill the 2nd Center spot until Kesler returns and than switch to RW. A Burrows-Kesler-Pavelski line would be an unreal double threat line. I actually think it will be Marleau and Clowe for Luongo and Booth. I'd rather go with Pavelski if we can snag him though.

Dont think you can trade a injured player( Booth)

#3195 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

But one can dream :- )

In all seriousness though, I'm thinking Pavelski is the greatest possibility. Maybe Clowe, but probably Pavelski.

Quite a few of you are confident it is SJ, which is odd, seeing as it has always been assumed it is a team in the East we're trading with.

Couture is very unlikely... Pavelski would be a sweet return and seems unlikely as well.

Also, Schneider getting the start vs. Calgary doesn't prove a deal is done. He's our number 1 at the moment, isn't he?
Posted Image

#3196 winterhawks

winterhawks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I cant see Canucks wanting to have a back-up with a cap of 3.8, unless San Jose would agree to keep some cap the only way it would work is to include a third team.

Greiss had decent numbers for a back-up last year.
download (1)

Ottawa Senators GM

CDCGML 

#3197 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yeah - I don't doubt that they wouldn't mind acquiring a veteran back-up with a reasonable contract.

If we acquire Niemi - that is still $7.8M tied up in goaltending.... which is about $2.0M too much. (not too mention Lack is on a one-way next year, thus counts against the cap next season; whether he is in the NHL or AHL)

$7.8M is not too bad for a tandem the quality of Schneider-Niemi. Teams like the Predators, Rangers, and Habs spend $6.5-7M for just the starter, and a B-level back-up puts them in the same range.

As for Lack, if Schneider finds his groove, he'll be the guy for a long time, and Lack will be a trading asset. Perhaps they can use him to move up at the draft, and let Joe Cannata take over the farm team next season.

Alternatively, if the Nucks want to get rid of Niemi's salary and use Lack as the back-up, it IS only one year. Some team may take him for a pick, or at least off of waivers.

Edited by D-Money, 22 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

#3198 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can't believe anyone would want that pest Pavelski over Clowe. I don't think he's going to SJ either.

#3199 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I can't believe anyone would want that pest Pavelski over Clowe.  I don't think he's going to SJ either.

Yes, because if there's one thing we could really use, it's another LW.

It's not like a C who can also play RW would be a good fit on this team.

Oh yeah, and why bother trading for a guy who is not an impending UFA?
Posted Image

#3200 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Just when i thought it was time to accept that i would have to be a bit more patient and stop my obsessive luongo watch, this happens.
Posted Image

#3201 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I think the mystery team is either Philly or NYI.

MG said there is a player the team wants to return that the canucks don't want, which I' guessing is either Depietro or Bryz. Those honestly are the only teams I can see being this mystery team. Couturier, or Ninoreiter as the centrepieces of the of the other team.
Posted Image
Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#3202 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Quite a few of you are confident it is SJ, which is odd, seeing as it has always been assumed it is a team in the East we're trading with.

Couture is very unlikely... Pavelski would be a sweet return and seems unlikely as well.

Also, Schneider getting the start vs. Calgary doesn't prove a deal is done. He's our number 1 at the moment, isn't he?

I think people (including myself) just see San Jose as a legitimate option due to the Gomez issue. If Gomez gets locked up, then San Jose will be willing to dump a center.

#3203 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yes, because if there's one thing we could really use, it's another LW.

It's not like a C who can also play RW would be a good fit on this team.

Oh yeah, and why bother trading for a guy who is not an impending UFA?

MG has shown he's quite adept at resigning guys once they are in the organization.........I have no doubt he'd resign Clowe. As a coach, I always expect my wingers to play either side, depending on need.

#3204 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I don't think you could share a buyout per se but the Isles could agree to keep half of Dipietro's salary and cap hit in a deal essentially making it the same thing. However, you'd need to ask yourself, would the Canucks rush to buy out Dipietro if his cap hit was just $2.25 mil? Maybe they would hang on to him for a year or two to see how he plays in a limited role here.

I do think elvis15 was on to something about Streit though. Perchance the 'other player' MG was refering to is Lubo and that the Isles are reluctant to move Streit until they know Visnovsky is reporting. That would make perfect sense to me

Lou
Ballard
Raymond

for

Streit
Bailey
Nino
Dipietro ( whereby NYI absorb 50% of his cap hit )

Alternatively I could also see in MG's quote that he may be pushing for Nabokov in place of a cheapened Dipietro. This would answer the question about his comments regarding taking back cap they don't want and 'not what they're trying to do'. What they're trying to do is get one year out of Nabby and promote Lack next next. Maybe?

It could be all a push to get the Isles to absorb Dipietro's contract.

Good point on the first paragraph. They certainly can't pay for half a buyout, but they can choose to keep half his cap hit and pay a part of his salary. that might be enough to make it attractive to the Canucks but hard to say. Not sure how they could get a cheaper DiPietro under the new CBA though (so that we could get Nabby like you mentioned).

Streit's outside the box, I admit, but maybe not any more unlikely than trading with NYI (or SJ, or Wash) to begin with.

Lack makes only $850K in the second year of his deal so it'd still be exempt from our cap since it's under $900K. It is a fair amount to spend on a tandem though (even considering NYR and Nash) but it has the benefit of Neimi only having 2 years left on it. We could even buy him out in the summer if we felt we wanted to clear more cap space or to make room for Lack, which would be much more affordable than buying out Bryz or DiPietro (or Luongo!) like some are suggesting.

I still don't see it but the discussion is interesting.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#3205 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Luongo to Philly for Hartnell+1st?

#3206 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Could it be the Canucks are awaiting lacks return ? If He is good to go then it means he'll backup Schneider...

#3207 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Good point on the first paragraph. They certainly can't pay for half a buyout, but they can choose to keep half his cap hit and pay a part of his salary. that might be enough to make it attractive to the Canucks but hard to say. Not sure how they could get a cheaper DiPietro under the new CBA though (so that we could get Nabby like you mentioned).

Streit's outside the box, I admit, but maybe not any more unlikely than trading with NYI (or SJ, or Wash) to begin with.

Lack makes only $850K in the second year of his deal so it'd still be exempt from our cap since it's under $900K. It is a fair amount to spend on a tandem though (even considering NYR and Nash) but it has the benefit of Neimi only having 2 years left on it. We could even buy him out in the summer if we felt we wanted to clear more cap space or to make room for Lack, which would be much more affordable than buying out Bryz or DiPietro (or Luongo!) like some are suggesting.

I still don't see it but the discussion is interesting.

I thought it was $900k, thus my comment.

I guess I retract that point - but still... they are not going to pay $3.8M for a back-up.
Posted Image

#3208 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Vancouver: Mike Ribeiro, Michael Neuvirth, 1st Round Pick
Washington: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond

That's the best I can come up with, which is pretty sad.

SYvE9NH.gif

#3209 canuckleface77

canuckleface77

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Luongo to Philly for Hartnell+1st?

lol...you're on glue.

#3210 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I thought it was $900k, thus my comment.

I guess I retract that point - but still... they are not going to pay $3.8M for a back-up.

Even if it was $900K it would not count against the cap, only anything above $900K. So, if his cap hit was $900,001 at the NHL level, then only the $1 would count against our cap while he's in the AHL.

We're (apparently) prepared to have Luongo's $5.33M against our cap this year, so I don't think Niemi's $3.8M is too big an issue. The only question is next year, and whether we'd have to buy him out or if we could find a home for him elsewhere, assuming we couldn't get under the $64M+ cap otherwise and wanted to keep him.

Edited by elvis15, 22 January 2013 - 05:35 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.