The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

This was my proposal awhile back, before the lockout.

Franson's rights, Lombardi, Brad Ross, and a conditional pick for Luongo.

Lombardi can slot in our 2nd line, while Kesler recovers. Once he's healthy, Lombardi could play the wing on the 2nd line or center our 3rd line. Ross is one of Toronto's best prospect, plays a hard-nose game and can produce offensively as well (ala Burrows).

Ive said it before and ive said it again. We wait for a great deal or we stick with 2. Not sure why Cory is the proclaimed starter. Lu did nothing to lose the job and I'd imagine if we have them both we alternate them on a night by night basis. If the rumours regarding what Fla and Tor think Luongo is worth are true then why on earth even think about trading Lu? MG locked up Cory for 3 years and even tho 9.3 is a lot to have tied up in goalies Id rather see Edler walk for nothing in free agency than get nothing for a future HOF goalie.

Sooner or later once the season starts a team currently skeptically satisfied with their tending like TBL, CBJ, EDM, CHI, WASH (TOR and FLA included) will have reason to want to give up something for Luongo or Schneider. Whether its major injury or poor performance from their starter remains to be seen. So long as the price is fair I dont see why something cant get done. But like I also said before TB went with Lindback, teams are much more eager to gamble on an option that costs a lot less. Hopefully some of these gambles dont pay off and we get what we deserve for either guy respectively.

I dont know about you guys but these rumours about Bozak being the framework for an imminent leafs deal make me sick to my stomach. Ive never been Lus biggest fan but I see little point in running him out of town if we cant get what we need. If the supply demand isnt there right now (which it doesnt seem to be) we should wait it out til at least Corys new contract starts coming to a close. I dont see Lu or Cory sucking in the next 3 years especially if they rotate games and jt may even help them stay fresh and make us harder to play against from a scouting POV.

Ive said it before and ive said it again. We wait for a great deal or we stick with 2. Not sure why Cory is the proclaimed starter. Lu did nothing to lose the job and I'd imagine if we have them both we alternate them on a night by night basis. If the rumours regarding what Fla and Tor think Luongo is worth are true then why on earth even think about trading Lu? MG locked up Cory for 3 years and even tho 9.3 is a lot to have tied up in goalies Id rather see Edler walk for nothing in free agency than get nothing for a future HOF goalie.

Sooner or later once the season starts a team currently skeptically satisfied with their tending like TBL, CBJ, EDM, CHI, WASH (TOR and FLA included) will have reason to want to give up something for Luongo or Schneider. Whether its major injury or poor performance from their starter remains to be seen. So long as the price is fair I dont see why something cant get done. But like I also said before TB went with Lindback, teams are much more eager to gamble on an option that costs a lot less. Hopefully some of these gambles dont pay off and we get what we deserve for either guy respectively.

I dont know about you guys but these rumours about Bozak being the framework for an imminent leafs deal make me sick to my stomach. Ive never been Lus biggest fan but I see little point in running him out of town if we cant get what we need. If the supply demand isnt there right now (which it doesnt seem to be) we should wait it out til at least Corys new contract starts coming to a close. I dont see Lu or Cory sucking in the next 3 years especially if they rotate games and jt may even help them stay fresh and make us harder to play against from a scouting POV.

Hopefully some of you noticed the shuckles Gillis gave to the reporter who asked not three questions into the interview and with Toronto-like urgency if the Luongo deal will be made soon. I thought it was ridiculous to ask such a question when every hockey person knows a yet to be ratified deal was struck at 5am the same morning and until then none of the teams could start talking trade. The reporter sounded like a rabid, hockey starved fan.

Gillis shuckles at this thought. I found peace.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but if I'm the GM of the Leafs or the Panthers why wouldn't I just wait until the offseason and put the pressure on Gillis to buy Luongo out? Especially Tallon who has never seemed overly eager to make a play for Luongo anyway. It's fairly clear Luongo wants to go there. Wait it out for 48 games and then try to snake him for nothing at a very favourable home town discount. If Gillis has to go all season with Luongo and then needs to think about re-signing Edler in the summer and the Sedins the following year that cap space is going to become invaluable. I'd play chicken with Gillis.

And I'd also want to see Luongo play for a bit before a move was made. He's not usually a great starter and his last season after a lockout was his worst so I think that's a factor as well.

It seems almost charitable to me for a team like the Leafs or Panthers to give up so much when there are so many question marks. And of course the cap doesn't help in anyway. The pressure is going to mount on Gillis if a move isn't made quickly.

Archived