The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

There are a couple of questions to ask...

1) Is MG willing to starting the season with both Luongo and Schneider?

------- Preferably not given the possible distractions but he could probably live with it

2) Is MG willing to start next season with both Luongo and Schneider?

------- Zero chance imo. Someone will be moved between now and summer of 2013

3) Are the leafs and panthers the only teams interested and Luongo is willing to goto?

------- I don't know

3) Do the leafs need an upgrade in goal to make the playoffs?

------- No one can say for sure.

4) is Luongo the leafs only option for an upgrade?

------- Well I don't know which goalies are available, Burke will shop around if he is indeed looking for upgrade.

5) Is it possible the leafs start the season with the goalies they have and see how they perform first

------- Yes

Why would he sit on the bench as backup. With a short and tight schedule every team would love to have two #1 goalies. I expect Luongo to get plenty of games. Schneider hasn't played great over in Europe, granted different rink size and angles etc. Luongo may even out play Schneider and regain his job back.

Look what happened in Boston. Crazy guy lost his starting job only to come back the following year to win the Cup and the Conn Smythe.

It will be more of a 1A and 1B situation than starter and backup.

The obvious difference is that we're dealing with a depreciating asset who's value will drop with each game that he becomes established as an NHL backup. The pressure will grow more and more on GILLIS as this situation remains unresolved, especially if the team gets off to a slow start, something that I'd call pretty likely to happen.

Don't care where Luongo ends up honestly, cause wherever he does he'll carry them to the playoffs. I'd laugh if we met him in the Cup finals, and he outplayed Schneider. Oh man that would just make my day, but i'd cry a little inside too cause that would mean we lost in the finals again..

The obvious difference is that we're dealing with a depreciating asset who's value will drop with each game that he becomes established as an NHL backup. The pressure will grow more and more on GILLIS as this situation remains unresolved, especially if the team gets off to a slow start, something that I'd call pretty likely to happen.

This risks far outweigh rewards in hanging onto Luongo.

It will be nearly 9 months between Lu's last game and the start of this seasons training camp, and Lu and he has been known to struggle coming out of the gate with as little as 3 months between. In a 48 game season and with the other teams in our division likely to be much improved, the Canucks have no luxury of giving Lu starts if he struggles because there is not 82 games to work with.

Lu was arounnd last lockout, and yes it was a full season lost, but the year after the lockout he had by far his worst stats of his career.

Many of the same people who said Luongo would never be traded are probably the ones who cannot see that he certainly is a candidate to buy out. If there is no trade done before the season begins and Lu plays like he does most Octobers, the Canucks will have a very tough time finding any takers for him, and they will be forced to hang onto him until after next season and if he does not play exceptionally well he will be bought out at the end of the 2013-14 season.

Yeah I like it, logical value; but its not a logical trade.

McArthur is another LW in a mittfull of LW's for us... Why not break down and actually get pieces that slot directly into our needs? For better or worse, Bozak fills a centre role for us and offers cap relief next year. Our other holes are RW and right D.

And I also think we need to put Franson in as a depth D for us. Having a depth right handed shot would allow us to dangle Ballard or possibly even Edler.

If I had the choice I'd be asking for any three of Kadri, Ashton, Franson and Bigg's!

IMO with the condensed schedule and multiple teams bidding (quoted by both Lu and MG), the Canucks are going to get good value.

So here's my trade and roster.

Lu, Raymond, Sauve

For

Gardiner/Rielly and Bozak

Sign Vandermeer

Sign Huselius

Sign Ellis

Sedins Burr

Booth Kes Huselius

Higgins Bozak Hansen

Lap Manny Kass

Weise, Shroeder Ebbett

Ham Bieksa

Edler Garr

Ballard Tanev

Vander Alberts

Schneider

Ellis

Lack

Don't trade Lu... trade Schneider. End of thread... if Gillis had a brain and traded Schneider at the dead line we would have got some assets to get us past the kings.

That being said Duncan Keith hit on Daniel didn't help our chances either. If that hadnt happened I think we would have won and all the luongo haters would have tattood his name all over their bodies.

Oh yeah, that would be great and I think MG should hold on to Luongo until someone pays what MG wants. Pressure will build on BB to pull the trigger when the Leafs fall out of playoff contention. He will give in when he realizes he has to pull the trigger soon or the Leafs miss playoffs again.

Archived