Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3455 replies to this topic

#31 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'd be ok with Niemi in net in the playoffs if Schneider went down. Remember Niemi just won the Cup not that long ago and has a 7-2 playoff series record.

I'll be ok with Schneider in net in the playoffs if Luongo went down. Remember Luongo brought the Canucks to a Stanley Cup Final game.

#32 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I am completely convinced that if Luo gets traded he will go to a left field team that can give us a reliable goaltender

To San Jose
Luo
Higgins
3rd

To Van
Niemi
Clowe
1st

Of corse all of you homers will say we are overpaying but in reality both teams need to feel they are getting the upper hand.
SJ is more desperate than we are to keep the window open. I don't think Clowe likes SJ he constantly lays that out in interviews. He would help this team and MG would be all over locking him up.
You wanna buy out a goalie? I think neimi would be an easier buy and probably relatively easy to move when lack is ready
Higgins is awesome but Clowe is more awesome both UFA's

We give SJ short term cap relief they give us long term cap relief.

We will not get high end prospects for Luo or capspace
it will involve a money exchange. So MG can help the team now and a contender can fit Luo in.

The buy out is kind of an interesting tool. We could take a big contract from a team that cannot afford a buyout in exchange for prospects. Like a DePetro. I can't imagine what the islanders would give to unload that sucker. Not saying Luongo would be part of that but it would be another way to acquire youth rather than using Luo.

I see what you did there Noheart.
I'm gonna go to right field and say Long Island and take back one of their tenders as well.

Luongo
3rd

Okposo
Nabokov
Brock Nelson

The Canucks take back $5.55 million in cap hit.
Okposo - the kind of (second line) RW I'd love to see added to the roster.
Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA - a good insurance policy for this season but no commitment thereafter if Lack proves himself.
Nelson - a good depth addition / potential third line center - good size, speed, defensive game, offensive upside as well - and behind Tavares, Nielson, Bailey and Strome, there's a lot of young talent at center in the Isles org.

The Isles buyout Dipietro themselves, and get back the goalie they probably never should have moved in the first place (ahem, one of the many Milbury strokes of genius - Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha - ouch!).

Edited by oldnews, 04 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#33 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm gonna go to right field and say Long Island and take back one of their tenders as well.

Luongo
3rd

Okposo
Nabokov
Brock Nelson

Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA - a good insurance policy for this season but no commitment thereafter if Lack proves himself.
Nelson - a good depth addition / potential third line center - good size, speed, defensive game, offensive upside as well - and behind Tavares, Nielson, Bailey and Strome, there's a lot of young talent at center in the Isles org.

The Isles buyout Dipietro themselves, and get back the goalie they probably never should have moved in the first place (ahem, one of the many Milbury strokes of genius - Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha - ouch!).

The Islanders are a team on the rise especially now that they are moving to Brooklyn.
Luongo would quickly become a fan favorite as his fellow greasers are quite established in the area.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#34 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'll be ok with Schneider in net in the playoffs if Luongo went down. Remember Luongo brought the Canucks to a Stanley Cup Final game.

Again, Luongo wants to be traded so this is not an option

Ill be ok with Schneider in net if a young Patrick Roy goes down.
If you wanna play that type of game.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#35 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I take back anything I've ever said about Lu. I strapped on the pads last night and hit a local outdoor rink and holy crap that's hard. I can barely move today lol

Were you wearing goalie skates cuz playing on tube skates would be like playing goal on a teeter totter !! lol That would be a lot more work and very hard to keep your balance !!Love to have seen that !! :)

#36 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

The Islanders are a team on the rise especially now that they are moving to Brooklyn.
Luongo would quickly become a fan favorite as his fellow greasers are quite established in the area.

I think they could use the story of his return and his name and pedigree to their advantage - big market - lots of attention to capture.
He also had some of his best stretches playing behind a young team in Florida - he likes to face lots of shots.

Edited by oldnews, 04 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#37 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

derp

Edited by oldnews, 04 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#38 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Fortunately, it is your mere opinion!

We will find out indeed!

See what I did there!

!

uuuh.... nothing?
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#39 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Luongo
3rd

Okposo
Nabokov
Brock Nelson

Rather see

Loungo- fills a big hole and yes agree NYI on the upswing and Lou could carry them to a birth and be a star in NYC, he'd likely love the limelight...and it would be great for him to recapture some appreciation
Ballard-NYI need a veteran puck moving dman, their d is young and inexperienced Ballard fills a big need
Schroeder - Addresses filling a gap I am creating with the trade but also a reliable player who's likely to get a better chance in NY

for

Nabakov - makes absolute sense for both sides as you suggested
Matt Martin - love this kid and is the 4th liner we need - hitter/fighter/speed/size
Ryan Strome - Fills our need for a potential real 1/2 center and is a Canadian kid with decent size
2nd

Result is what I like in the future..our core should/would include

Jensen, Strome, Kassian, Martin, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado, Gaunce, Lack - that's not a bad core if you can find a couple steals in the next 4-5 years thats a decent group (once our current vets are gone for the most part)

LW/Kesler (mid 30's)/Kassian
Jensen/Strome/RW
LW/Gaunce/Martin
4th

Corrado/Edler (mid 30's)
Tanev/Connaghton
Aging vet- ie Garrison?/Sauve

Lack
Schnieder (aging/backup)

Not too many holes and a solid group and have to just LOVE that size and intensity

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 04 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#40 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Rather see

Loungo- fills a big hole and yes agree NYI on the upswing and Lou could carry them to a birth and be a star in NYC, he'd likely love the limelight...and it would be great for him to recapture some appreciation
Ballard-NYI need a veteran puck moving dman, their d is young and inexperienced Ballard fills a big need
Schroeder - Addresses filling a gap I am creating with the trade but also a reliable player who's likely to get a better chance in NY

for

Matt Martin - love this kid and is the 4th liner we need - hitter/fighter/speed/size
Ryan Strome - Fills our need for a potential real 1/2 center and is a Canadian kid with decent size
2nd

Jensen, Strome, Kassian, Martin, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado, Gaunce, Lack - that's not a bad core if you can find a couple steals in the next 4-5 years thats a decent group (once our current vets are gone for the most part)

Jensen/Strome/RW
LW/Gaunce/Martin
4th

Corrado/Edler (mid 30's)
Tanev/Connaghton

Lack
Schnieder (aging/backup)

Not too many holes and a solid group and have to just LOVE that size and intensity

No chance the Islanders give up Strome.

zackass.png

#41 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Rather see

for

2nd

Jensen/Strome/RW
LW/Gaunce/Martin
4th

Corrado/Edler (mid 30's)
Tanev/Connaghton

Lack
Schnieder (aging/backup)

Again, Luongo will not fetch a high end prospect like strome not even 1/2 a strome.
It will be a $ for $ hockey trade
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#42 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

BuretoMogilny should really just quit his retarded rants and go outside. Like seriously dude, get out of your grandmammy's basement and feel rain and sunlight. Might shake the cobwebs out of that "brain" of yours.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#43 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

BuretoMogilny should really just quit his retarded rants and go outside. Like seriously dude, get out of your grandmammy's basement and feel rain and sunlight. Might shake the cobwebs out of that "brain" of yours.

angry much? lmao

wow ...i guess you're the reason we have gun control in canada

36 yr old men children ...lol

loser...dealing with your mommy basement issues i see...hopefully you'll move out soon

you know everything don't you ...nah you don't

in fact who knows maybe we end up buying out both ballard and lou once the cba is done..

thats the purpose of this board superstar loser...no one knows

But to my point ...in regards to the NYI - if you had 1/2 a brain, yes 1/2 you'd know they are....

Moving to a new arena with a fan base much closer to NYR so competing for alot of the same people after an extended lockout and therefore what? Need to put a winner on the ice!!! aha!

And where are their biggest gaps now? Veteran presence, a solid goalie and a veteran dman who can move the puck....oh wow...hmmm who has those???

What's there strength? Down the middle youth. Oh wow ..whats the Nucks needs????

So brainiac? How do they sell tickets? New city, team hasn't made the playoffs in years, competing for fans with the Rangers .....Well....angry little man, maybe they think about adding another elite player who they can market, add some buzz around the team, and make the playoffs!!!!

Who's available who fits their needs and that category?? OMG! maybe Lou??

What can they give up and not really feel it?? Well, Strome since he hasn't played a game and would fill the Nucks need.

See superstar manchild- it actually MAKES SENSE for both teams if you knew ANYTHING about hockey, business and why/how deals are done.

Now go back to YOUR mom's basement

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 04 January 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#44 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

But to my point ...in regards to the NYI - if you had 1/2 a brain, yes 1/2 you'd know they are....

Moving to a new arena with a fan base much closer to NYR so competing for alot of the same people after an extended lockout and therefore what? Need to put a winner on the ice!!! aha!

And where are their biggest gaps now? Veteran presence, a solid goalie and a veteran dman who can move the puck....oh wow...hmmm who has those???

What's there strength? Down the middle youth. Oh wow ..whats the Nucks needs????

So brainiac? How do they sell tickets? New city, team hasn't made the playoffs in years, competing for fans with the Rangers .....Well....angry little man, maybe they think about adding another elite player who they can market, add some buzz around the team, and make the playoffs!!!!

Who's available who fits their needs and that category?? OMG! maybe Lou??

What can they give up and not really feel it?? Well, Strome since he hasn't played a game and would fill the Nucks need.

I'll let you 2 continue the pissing match, but you did make some points so I would like to address them and sidestep the war of words.

The Islanders don't need anything really, they are just waiting, they are biding there time until there young players are better, it's no different than when the Islanders came into the league in the 70's. Bill Torrey explains it well in that the team decided to go through the struggles, bide there time, and go for the draft. To put there time and effort into drafting, develop there players and watch them grow into a contender.

They are pretty much into the same situation now as back then, they are still recovering from the wrath of Milbury, and unlike Milbury they didn't try to use the bandaid approach and they went for the draft while trying to remain as comeptitive as possible. They got there franchise player/center piece in Tavares, & they have added other key pieces in Ninoreitter, Reinhart, Hamonic, Strome, exc.

And even if they weren't waiting to use there assets at a more appropriate time for the good of the franchise like I said they are, Nabokov and Dipetrio are both solid goaltender, between the 2 of them I am sure they can give solid enough goaltending to give an outside shot at the playoffs if they can add to some other areas through free agency if they want to improve a bit more now, and honestly they have some veterans there (Streit, Moulson, Nabokov, exc.) and are waiting for there young blueliners to emerge (Hamonic, Donovan, Reinhart, Mayfield, De Haan, exc.) just like the the forwards.

It doesn't make sense for them to trade and amazing asset like Strome now, when he is going to be at his best and help them the most as an asset and as a player in the future, rather than trading him now for a goalie that won't be there throughout the prime years of that franchise with this core.

You have to think about things more depth before making major moves like this.

And as for them needing to draw to new fans, Nassau County is only about 45 Minutes away, alot of Vancouver fans have to drive that far for games all the time, so if they really love there team they probably won't have an issue making the drive now and then in 2-3 years when they move anyways.

And also alot of New Yorkers in that area drive that long for work, so a long drive is nothing new to them.

Again the Islanders decline.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 12:21 AM.

zackass.png

#45 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'll let you 2 continue the pissing match, but you did make some points so I would like to address them and sidestep the war of words.

The Islanders don't need anything really, they are just waiting, they are biding there time until there young players are better, it's no different than when the Islanders came into the league in the 70's. Bill Torrey explains it well in that the team decided to go through the struggles, bide there time, and go for the draft. To put there time and effort into drafting, develop there players and watch them grow into a contender.

They are pretty much into the same situation now as back then, they are still recovering from the wrath of Milbury, and unlike Milbury they didn't try to use the bandaid approach and they went for the draft while trying to remain as comeptitive as possible. They got there franchise player/center piece in Tavares, & they have added other key pieces in Ninoreitter, Reinhart, Hamonic, Strome, exc.

And even if they weren't waiting to use there assets at a more appropriate time for the good of the franchise like I said they are, Nabokov and Dipetrio are both solid goaltender, between the 2 of them I am sure they can give solid enough goaltending to give an outside shot at the playoffs if they can add to some other areas through free agency if they want to improve a bit more now, and honestly they have some veterans there (Streit, Moulson, Nabokov, exc.) and are waiting for there young blueliners to emerge (Hamonic, Donovan, Reinhart, Mayfield, De Haan, exc.) just like the the forwards.

It doesn't make sense for them to trade and amazing asset like Strome now, when he is going to be at his best and help them the most as an asset and as a player in the future, rather than trading him now for a goalie that won't be there throughout the prime years of that franchise with this core.

You have to think about things more depth before making major moves like this.

And as for them needing to draw to new fans, Nassau County is only about 45 Minutes away, alot of Vancouver fans have to drive that far for games all the time, so if they really love there team they probably won't have an issue making the drive now and then in 2-3 years when they move anyways.

And also alot of New Yorkers in that area drive that long for work, so a long drive is nothing new to them.

Again the Islanders decline.

I disagree

1. You are assuming that Hockey is a big draw in NYC - Basketball, Baseball, Football come first
2. You are assuming that owners and fans in the US think like we Canadians, we'll be patient, build. No chance, they want winners now and from living in NYC I can tell you that's the attitude. Look at New Jersey, a team that was perrenially a winner and yet can't sell out, and their arena is next to where the giants play, a short drive as you say.
3. As you say, they have a bevy of young talent, it allows them to give something up to make some money and develop their new fan base NOW
4. You don't win over new fans, and whether you want to accept it or not, moving to Brooklyn is about a new fan base, and not you or me sir, the corporate fan base. How do you win them over when they can go down to MSG - well give them an exciting product that rivals and becomes the place to be - how do you do that, win.

They cannot wait, year one needs to be a 'bang' especially with the lockout.

They make money from the corporate lower bowl and boxes and making the playoffs not from mr. casual fan driving from Long Island. And thats the reality.

#46 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

I disagree

1. You are assuming that Hockey is a big draw in NYC - Basketball, Baseball, Football come first
2. You are assuming that owners and fans in the US think like we Canadians, we'll be patient, build. No chance, they want winners now and from living in NYC I can tell you that's the attitude. Look at New Jersey, a team that was perrenially a winner and yet can't sell out, and their arena is next to where the giants play, a short drive as you say.
3. As you say, they have a bevy of young talent, it allows them to give something up to make some money and develop their new fan base NOW
4. You don't win over new fans, and whether you want to accept it or not, moving to Brooklyn is about a new fan base, and not you or me sir, the corporate fan base. How do you win them over when they can go down to MSG - well give them an exciting product that rivals and becomes the place to be - how do you do that, win.

They cannot wait, year one needs to be a 'bang' especially with the lockout.

They make money from the corporate lower bowl and boxes and making the playoffs not from mr. casual fan driving from Long Island. And thats the reality.

I'm glad you put this into points, to make it easier to debate, anyways I'll just continue with it.

1. I understand hockey isn't a big draw compared to those sports, in all of the US hockey doesn't compete to the other major spots, this isn't just a NY thing, and the Rangers have done quite well even when they don't win alot. With any sports franchise success is the ultimate thing that draws fans, but you will always have a group of loyal fans that support your group no matter what and those are the people I was addressing with the "45 Minute drive" comment, also being closer to the heart on NY in Brooklyn, they will get alot more Rangers fans in that building, and with more people in the surrounding area you think it would attract more casual fans just looking for entertainment than in Nassau.

2. Actually they can be patient, and Florida is a perfect example of this, they are a market that has struggled aswell, but they are being patient with there team, not rushing the young players, and the Islanders should be more willing to be patient as they have shown, and in the past with Chicago we have seen that, they struggled and were terrible for how long? If the NYI be patient and let there assets grow they will be a top 5 team in this league and a top stanley cup contender every year, and the success they will have if they wait since they will have moved to a new area with more people is far greater than them morgating the future now and just getting by, doing average maybe being a 2nd round playoff team at best and barley getting by or just going even.

3. They do, and I could see them moving a Mayfield or a Donovan or a De Haan or someone like that but Strome is a rising star in terms of young prospects, this guy will 1) Garner more return than Lu, 2) won't be moved cause he isn't one of those assets that you move. You don't move a top player like that to get assets for the present you move other guys not Strome. And again they don't need fans this instant, they fill 81% of there building every night which for a team that has gone through decades of mediocrity and lesser finishes isn't terrible, and once they move to Brooklyn there will be a larger population to attract as I said.

4. Them moving to Brooklyn isn't about getting a new fan base, it is because the building they are in now is rotting to the ground and they need a new building, Nassau county won't give them one so they have to move elsewhere, they would choose a new building in Nassau 10/10 times if they had the choice between Brooklyn and Long Island, but they have no other choice they can't stay in the that building past the lease, they just can't, it doesn't work for the viability of the franchise. And if they acquired Luongo and made the playoffs and got bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the next 3-4 years they would not rival MSG, they would not beat MSG, if they wait and become a top team, they will rival MSG and probably beat out the Rangers as the hot team in town because they will be so much better. Just like last time.

We have kind of gotten into a debate about markets and viability exc rather than the actually deal, but who says Luongo is going to bring them that bang? Barley getting into the playoffs and getting bounced early won't help them much, they have a storied history and need to turn the ship around for the long haul not do patch work, waiting a bit now will pay off immensely in the future because they will be a stable franchise for a decade or 2, if morgate all they suffered and worked for like Milbury did last time look where they will end up? Right where they are now, a struggling team that has to move (a bit) because they haven't had the success for the city council to be willing to help fund a new arena which they desperately need.

Going for the future is the right thing for the Islanders, and bringing it back to the context of this deal, Luongo probably isn't worth Strome espcially when they already have a life long contract to one of there goaltenders and another capable goaltender already there.

zackass.png

#47 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

I'm glad you put this into points, to make it easier to debate, anyways I'll just continue with it.

1. I understand hockey isn't a big draw compared to those sports, in all of the US hockey doesn't compete to the other major spots, this isn't just a NY thing, and the Rangers have done quite well even when they don't win alot. With any sports franchise success is the ultimate thing that draws fans, but you will always have a group of loyal fans that support your group no matter what and those are the people I was addressing with the "45 Minute drive" comment, also being closer to the heart on NY in Brooklyn, they will get alot more Rangers fans in that building, and with more people in the surrounding area you think it would attract more casual fans just looking for entertainment than in Nassau.

2. Actually they can be patient, and Florida is a perfect example of this, they are a market that has struggled aswell, but they are being patient with there team, not rushing the young players, and the Islanders should be more willing to be patient as they have shown, and in the past with Chicago we have seen that, they struggled and were terrible for how long? If the NYI be patient and let there assets grow they will be a top 5 team in this league and a top stanley cup contender every year, and the success they will have if they wait since they will have moved to a new area with more people is far greater than them morgating the future now and just getting by, doing average maybe being a 2nd round playoff team at best and barley getting by or just going even.

3. They do, and I could see them moving a Mayfield or a Donovan or a De Haan or someone like that but Strome is a rising star in terms of young prospects, this guy will 1) Garner more return than Lu, 2) won't be moved cause he isn't one of those assets that you move. You don't move a top player like that to get assets for the present you move other guys not Strome. And again they don't need fans this instant, they fill 81% of there building every night which for a team that has gone through decades of mediocrity and lesser finishes isn't terrible, and once they move to Brooklyn there will be a larger population to attract as I said.

4. Them moving to Brooklyn isn't about getting a new fan base, it is because the building they are in now is rotting to the ground and they need a new building, Nassau county won't give them one so they have to move elsewhere, they would choose a new building in Nassau 10/10 times if they had the choice between Brooklyn and Long Island, but they have no other choice they can't stay in the that building past the lease, they just can't, it doesn't work for the viability of the franchise. And if they acquired Luongo and made the playoffs and got bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the next 3-4 years they would not rival MSG, they would not beat MSG, if they wait and become a top team, they will rival MSG and probably beat out the Rangers as the hot team in town because they will be so much better. Just like last time.

We have kind of gotten into a debate about markets and viability exc rather than the actually deal, but who says Luongo is going to bring them that bang? Barley getting into the playoffs and getting bounced early won't help them much, they have a storied history and need to turn the ship around for the long haul not do patch work, waiting a bit now will pay off immensely in the future because they will be a stable franchise for a decade or 2, if morgate all they suffered and worked for like Milbury did last time look where they will end up? Right where they are now, a struggling team that has to move (a bit) because they haven't had the success for the city council to be willing to help fund a new arena which they desperately need.

Going for the future is the right thing for the Islanders, and bringing it back to the context of this deal, Luongo probably isn't worth Strome espcially when they already have a life long contract to one of there goaltenders and another capable goaltender already there.

I believe they want to make a splash in Brooklin

they do not have the money to buy out DePetro, (one of the worst contracts in hockey)

I believe they would give us a good prospect if we took DePetro off the books.
not Strome, not a chance, and they probably wouldn't take Luongo but you never know. Maybe a Booth or Ballard. Since they are a team that usually flirts with the cap floor.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#48 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

I believe they want to make a splash in Brooklin

they do not have the money to buy out DePetro, (one of the worst contracts in hockey)

I believe they would give us a good prospect if we took DePetro off the books.
not Strome, not a chance, and they probably wouldn't take Luongo but you never know. Maybe a Booth or Ballard. Since they are a team that usually flirts with the cap floor.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#49 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Again, Luongo wants to be traded so this is not an option

Ill be ok with Schneider in net if a young Patrick Roy goes down.
If you wanna play that type of game.

Again. Find me one 1st or 2nd source that says he asked for a trade.

His comment post-elimination game stating he would be willing to waive his NTC has to be one of the most taken out of context comment in the history of the Vancouver Canucks, even more than the famous "we choked" by Naslund.

Of course Gillis would make a great trade that helps the team if such a trade would come to surface. Of course Luongo would like to go play in Florida and be near his family. I bet most Ontario-born players would like to play close to home too either for the Leafs or for the Senators.

I believe Schneider still has some meat to eat before he can be considered even close to what Luongo is; a number one goaltender.

The media has turned this into a super summer circus. If there's a season this year, it would be asinine to sell 1/2 the insurance policy the Canucks have in net. Absolutely silly.

Come trade deadline, that's another story for another time. If the offer is there for Schneider that makes for a much better Canucks team, or for Luongo, Gillis has to look at it hard. If either goaltender can make the Canucks better in a trade, of course it will then make sense to do such a trade. But trading Luongo just to trade him out is absolutely insane.

Thèse guys are pros and there's no animosity between the organization, the players or the goaltenders; only between the fans/ media and Luongo because of some sound bytes.

Time for forgiveness and support is what I say.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 January 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#50 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Schneider to Chicago in a package for Kane?

:bigblush:

Posted Image

#51 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

I think there's a good chance Lu stays. Especially with the new CBA rules if the Canucks are stuck with his cap even after he retires.

With the new cap recapture rule If Lu is traded to the Leafs, Lu's cap would only count against Toronto for as long as he plays, if he retires before his contract expires then his cap counts against VAN for the remaining years.

If this rule is a part of the new CBA then it makes more sense for MG to trade Schneider.

#52 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Were you wearing goalie skates cuz playing on tube skates would be like playing goal on a teeter totter !! lol That would be a lot more work and very hard to keep your balance !!Love to have seen that !! :)

The technicality of goaltending!!!

#53 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

From NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640560

RANK PLAYER
1. ERIK KARLSSON
2. ZDENO CHARA
3. SHEA WEBER
4. KRIS LETANG
5. DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN
6. ALEX PIETRANGELO
7. DAN BOYLE
8. ALEXANDER EDLER
9. RYAN SUTER
10. BRIAN CAMPBELL
11. P.K. SUBBAN
12. DION PHANEUF
13. MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO
14. MARK STREIT
15. KEITH YANDLE
16. KEVIN SHATTENKIRK
17. DREW DOUGHTY
18. NIKLAS KRONWALL
19. JACK JOHNSON
20. TOBIAS ENSTROM
21. DUNCAN KEITH
22. KIMMO TIMONEN
23. MARK GIORDANO
24. CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF
25. BRENT BURNS
26. RYAN WHITNEY
27. ALEX GOLIGOSKI
28. SERGEI GONCHAR
29. TYLER MYERS
30. DMITRY KULIKOV

RANK TEAM PLAYER
31. JONI PITKANEN
32. JAMES WISNIEWSKI
33. LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY
34. CAM FOWLER
35. DENNIS WIDEMAN
36. ANDREI MARKOV
37. BRENT SEABROOK
38. JASON GARRISON
39. MATT CARLE
40. KEVIN BIEKSA
41. MIKE GREEN
42. OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON
43. SHELDON SOURAY
44. IAN WHITE
45. ZACH BOGOSIAN
46. DAN GIRARDI
47. MAREK ZIDLICKY
48. BRENDAN SMITH
49. JOHN-MICHAEL LILES
50. SLAVA VOYNOV
51. RYAN MCDONAGH
52. NICK LEDDY
53. ERIK JOHNSON
54. JUSTIN SCHULTZ
55. JOHN CARLSON
56. NIKITA NIKITIN
57. JUSTIN FAULK
58. RYAN ELLIS
59. DAN HAMHUIS
60. JARED SPURGEON

For Schneider or a Schneider package, I would try to hit a top 15, which includes FLA Campbell WPG Byfuglien, and TOR Phaneuf.

On another note, re-signing Edler will be extremely hard but the Canucka should try everything to fit him in. Nice to see .38 Garrison above .40 Bieksa. Reassuring.

Extra note: .12 Phaneuf, .59 Hamhuis.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 January 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#54 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

From NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640560

RANK PLAYER
1. ERIK KARLSSON
2. ZDENO CHARA
3. SHEA WEBER
4. KRIS LETANG
5. DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN
6. ALEX PIETRANGELO
7. DAN BOYLE
8. ALEXANDER EDLER
9. RYAN SUTER
10. BRIAN CAMPBELL
11. P.K. SUBBAN
12. DION PHANEUF
13. MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO
14. MARK STREIT
15. KEITH YANDLE
16. KEVIN SHATTENKIRK
17. DREW DOUGHTY
18. NIKLAS KRONWALL
19. JACK JOHNSON
20. TOBIAS ENSTROM
21. DUNCAN KEITH
22. KIMMO TIMONEN
23. MARK GIORDANO
24. CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF
25. BRENT BURNS
26. RYAN WHITNEY
27. ALEX GOLIGOSKI
28. SERGEI GONCHAR
29. TYLER MYERS
30. DMITRY KULIKOV

RANK TEAM PLAYER
31. JONI PITKANEN
32. JAMES WISNIEWSKI
33. LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY
34. CAM FOWLER
35. DENNIS WIDEMAN
36. ANDREI MARKOV
37. BRENT SEABROOK
38. JASON GARRISON
39. MATT CARLE
40. KEVIN BIEKSA
41. MIKE GREEN
42. OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON
43. SHELDON SOURAY
44. IAN WHITE
45. ZACH BOGOSIAN
46. DAN GIRARDI
47. MAREK ZIDLICKY
48. BRENDAN SMITH
49. JOHN-MICHAEL LILES
50. SLAVA VOYNOV
51. RYAN MCDONAGH
52. NICK LEDDY
53. ERIK JOHNSON
54. JUSTIN SCHULTZ
55. JOHN CARLSON
56. NIKITA NIKITIN
57. JUSTIN FAULK
58. RYAN ELLIS
59. DAN HAMHUIS
60. JARED SPURGEON

For Schneider or a Schneider package, I would try to hit a top 15, which includes FLA Campbell WPG Byfuglien, and TOR Phaneuf.

On another note, re-signing Edler will be extremely hard but the Canucka should try everything to fit him in. Nice to see .38 Garrison above .40 Bieksa. Reassuring.

Extra note: .12 Phaneuf, .49 Hamhuis.

These are fantasy rankings, meaning points and goals exc.

Cause who in there right mind would take Campbell and Byfuglien higher than Keith and Doughty, aswell as Ehrhoff over Tyler Myers, then Ryan Ellis over Dan Hamhuis. And to top off who would rank McDonagh at 51st.

these aren't ratings in order of how good they are these are fantasy ratings, huge difference in what they mean.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 January 2013 - 08:02 AM.

zackass.png

#55 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Lol that fantasy stuff is BS- Hamhuis at 59? with Kulikov at 30? that is a laugh. Whitney, brent burns and erhoff 20 spots ahead of Hamhuis.

#56 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think there's a good chance Lu stays. Especially with the new CBA rules if the Canucks are stuck with his cap even after he retires.

With the new cap recapture rule If Lu is traded to the Leafs, Lu's cap would only count against Toronto for as long as he plays, if he retires before his contract expires then his cap counts against VAN for the remaining years.

If this rule is a part of the new CBA then it makes more sense for MG to trade Schneider.

No chance GMMG would trade Lu under them circumstances, and with 9 seasons left after this season, I would bet Lu will be bought out in the off season.
With the NHL apparently offering 2 buyouts it seems that burying contracts in the minors is going to be a thing of the past and ZERO teams including us would risk having a mid 30s goalie with a 5.3 contract for 9 more seasons.

#57 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Again. Find me one 1st or 2nd source that says he asked for a trade.

His comment post-elimination game stating he would be willing to waive his NTC has to be one of the most taken out of context comment in the history of the Vancouver Canucks, even more than the famous "we choked" by Naslund.

Of course Gillis would make a great trade that helps the team if such a trade would come to surface. Of course Luongo would like to go play in Florida and be near his family. I bet most Ontario-born players would like to play close to home too either for the Leafs or for the Senators.

I believe Schneider still has some meat to eat before he can be considered even close to what Luongo is; a number one goaltender.

The media has turned this into a super summer circus. If there's a season this year, it would be asinine to sell 1/2 the insurance policy the Canucks have in net. Absolutely silly.

Come trade deadline, that's another story for another time. If the offer is there for Schneider that makes for a much better Canucks team, or for Luongo, Gillis has to look at it hard. If either goaltender can make the Canucks better in a trade, of course it will then make sense to do such a trade. But trading Luongo just to trade him out is absolutely insane.

Thèse guys are pros and there's no animosity between the organization, the players or the goaltenders; only between the fans/ media and Luongo because of some sound bytes.

Time for forgiveness and support is what I say.

http://m.bleacherrep...r-face-in-vegas

I'm so sick of posting this link

He clearly states "it's time to move on"

This was all over the news when it happened in July but I have noticed that some people have subconsciously blocked this out do to the extremely traumatic experience

Also I'm getting pretty tired of people crying about how mean we are to Luongo and how we are driving him out of town blah blah blah. The guy is being paid millions of dollars for playing a game he loves. After a year into the biggest contract this team has ever invested in.
The crybaby publicly states he wants to be traded and totally handcuffs the GM that bend over backwards for him.

What ever happened to loyalty? They where loyal to him after all those questionable playoff performances, they have always supported the guy publicly.
All of you Luo lovers always cry out "look what Roberto has done for us he made us into a contender he took us to game 7 of the cup"!!!
Well I guess I just see things differently.
I say look what we have done for Roberto we brought him to a contender and gave him every chance in the world to succeed and he wiped his a$$ with that.
AV puts Cory in out of desperation to hopefully spark his team and Luongo wants a trade now.... What a team player.
I have never herd one of his teammates or coaches say anything about a weak goal. I do however recall Roberto talking about defensive breakdowns causing goals on several occasions.

Anyone that supports a guy like that is just as pathetic as he is. I'm glad he wants out cause if he is not grateful and loyal to this organization and his teammates, we don't want him.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#58 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

These are fantasy rankings, meaning points and goals exc.

Cause who in there right mind would take Campbell and Byfuglien higher than Keith and Doughty, aswell as Ehrhoff over Tyler Myers, then Ryan Ellis over Dan Hamhuis. And to top off who would rank McDonagh at 51st.

these aren't ratings in order of how good they are these are fantasy ratings, huge difference in what they mean.

NHL Rankings: Top 50 Defensemen of 2012-2013

1. Znedo Chara
2. Shea Weber
3. Brian Campbell
4. Erik Karlsson
5. Dion phaneuf
6. Dan Girardi
7. Ryan Suter
8. Kimmo Timonen
9. Kris Letang
10. Matt Carle
11. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
12. Alexander Edler
13. Keith Yandle
14. Tyle Meyers
15. Duncan Keith
16. Dan Boyle
17. Jay Boumeester
18. Mark Streit
19. Sergei Gonchar
20. Ryan McDonagh
21. Tobias Enstrom
22. Chris Pronger
23. Joni pitkanen
24. Mike Green
25. Niklas Kronwall
26. Alex Pietrangelo
27. Braydon Coburn
28. Kevin Bieksa
29. P.K. Subban
30, Alex Goligoski
31. Christian Ehrhoff
32. Ian White
33. Jason Garrison
34. Dustin Byfuglien
35. Brent Seabrook
36. Kevin Shattenkirk
37. Johnny Boychuck
38. Erik Johnson
39. Jack Johnson
40. Dennis Wideman
41. Michael Del Zotto
42. Drew Doughty
43. Carlo Colaiacovo
44. Filip Kuba
45. Cam Fowler
46. Tom Gilbert
47. Zach Bogosian
48. James Wisniewski
49. Nikita Nikitin
50. Willie Mitchell

Maybe you like this list better....

#59 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

http://m.bleacherrep...r-face-in-vegas

I'm so sick of posting this link

He clearly states "it's time to move on"

This was all over the news when it happened in July but I have noticed that some people have subconsciously blocked this out do to the extremely traumatic experience

Also I'm getting pretty tired of people crying about how mean we are to Luongo and how we are driving him out of town blah blah blah. The guy is being paid millions of dollars for playing a game he loves. After a year into the biggest contract this team has ever invested in.
The crybaby publicly states he wants to be traded and totally handcuffs the GM that bend over backwards for him.

What ever happened to loyalty? They where loyal to him after all those questionable playoff performances, they have always supported the guy publicly.
All of you Luo lovers always cry out "look what Roberto has done for us he made us into a contender he took us to game 7 of the cup"!!!
Well I guess I just see things differently.
I say look what we have done for Roberto we brought him to a contender and gave him every chance in the world to succeed and he wiped his a$$ with that.
AV puts Cory in out of desperation to hopefully spark his team and Luongo wants a trade now.... What a team player.
I have never herd one of his teammates or coaches say anything about a weak goal. I do however recall Roberto talking about defensive breakdowns causing goals on several occasions.

Anyone that supports a guy like that is just as pathetic as he is. I'm glad he wants out cause if he is not grateful and loyal to this organization and his teammates, we don't want him.

I also see things differently: "It's time to move on" can very well mean to the media: "Shut the F up already with your stupid questions and assumptions".

Now don't forget to put as much energy in :"When pressed, he admits that Florida is appealing because it's his offseason home but emphasizes that he and Mike Gillis have only spoken generally about where he may or may not go." as you dispense on the notion of "it's time to move on" which Luongo never says: "It's time to move on from the Canucks", which appears in the article.

Carefull what you read. Much interpretation in media.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#60 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

No chance GMMG would trade Lu under them circumstances, and with 9 seasons left after this season, I would bet Lu will be bought out in the off season.
With the NHL apparently offering 2 buyouts it seems that burying contracts in the minors is going to be a thing of the past and ZERO teams including us would risk having a mid 30s goalie with a 5.3 contract for 9 more seasons.

NO chance Luongo gets bought out. First reason, he's a premiere goalie for another 4 or 5 years. Second he is owed too much money to be bought out.

IF Lu was bought out Canucks would have his $1.5 mill buyout cap hit until 2030/31. That's a long time from now. On top of this Lu would carry a cap hit between $3.4 mill and $5.8 mill between 2018 and 2022.

What would happen is Lu would remain the Canucks starting goalie for a 3 or 4 years, when his salary drops in 5 years he could be the backup or he could then be bought out.

There is absolutely ZERO chance Lu gets bought out now. If he was 2/3 ($27 mill) of his remaining $40 million would need to be paid out. Canucks would be paying Luongo $1.5 mill per year for the next 18 years.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.