The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Hahaha first thing I thought was king is gonna go bananas over this post. I agree with the Lu and edler being a major temptation for them. That would round out their team quite nicely but it's such a blockbuster gillis won't pull the trigger unless we're getting major assets in return. His asking price for Lu was huge and it would be even bigger for edler. Looking at it from our stand point, it would have to be to make it worth it. Take a major downgrade on defense even if we get one back in the deal, so the offensive players we acquire would have to start with couturier and simmonds/voracek just to make it worthwhile. We would also want a dman back in the deal so it's going to be a steep price for Holmgren to swallow.

For it to be worth it to trade edler we would have to get close to the original package you suggested and It would be a tough sell for sure.

Philly can recover a center and save the buyout cash by dealing Bryz to the Laffs for Bozak or Kadri in the wake of the disappointment in TO... :bigblush:

And I agree - I think part of my expecting big returns in Couturier and Vorachek is that the second half of the deal is essentially Edler for Coburn and a 1st - that isn't a massive downgrade, but it sure doesn't improve the Canucks blueline. However, with Couturier and Vorachek in the lineup, the Canucks are then free to move another winger, possibly for more blueline depth, or futures. The Canucks do get very good talented, sizable youth up front, and two 1sts next year - people obsessing over the window can then take a pill.

I don't care where Luongo goes, I just want the best possible return. The insiders on tsn said that the Panthers probably won't be able to re-sign Weiss in the offseason so they are likely to trade him. And right now he has an amazing cap (3.1M) for a legitimate top 6 forward. Put him on the wing when Kesler gets back, and you have someone who actually knows how to pass! Unbelievable I know! Plus he has chemistry with Booth from Florida. It's really a no brainer, MG has to be targeting Weiss over Bozak.

Oh and regarding my 2018-2019 Florida Panthers, I just won the presidents trophy with this team (55 wins).

Another article from CBC's Friedmen

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...rto-luongo.html

Vancouver's "frozen" $6,049,334 thaws. It is divided by the number of "unused" years in Luongo's contract -- three. The figure is $2,016,445. The Canucks will get a "cap penalty" at that amount for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.

As for Toronto, the Maple Leafs will pay Luongo $43,666,000. (I'm not pro-rating this year's lockout-infected salary. Going for the easy math here). The total cap hit for those seven seasons is $37,333,331. The difference is $6,332,669. Divide it by the three unused years in Luongo's contract, and the penalty per season is $2,111,890 -- slightly larger than Vancouver's.

Could work.

Its good that theres a media frenzy in TO around this deal. It might just force other interested parties to step up.

Also the cap penalty would actually be appealing to Florida. Possible money against their cap that they dont pay out... goood, goood.

Where it gets interesting is if you change that example to be a trade to a lower spending team like Florida. If they get Luongo for the next 7 years and then have him retire, then they get extra cap those final three years. That might give them extra incentive to make a deal.

Philly can recover a center and save the buyout cash by dealing Bryz to the Laffs for Bozak or Kadri in the wake of the disappointment in TO... :bigblush:

And I agree - I think part of my expecting big returns in Couturier and Vorachek is that the second half of the deal is essentially Edler for Coburn and a 1st - that isn't a massive downgrade, but it sure doesn't improve the Canucks blueline. However, with Couturier and Vorachek in the lineup, the Canucks are then free to move another winger, possibly for more blueline depth, or futures. The Canucks do get very good talented, sizable youth up front, and two 1sts next year - people obsessing over the window can then take a pill.

Its good that theres a media frenzy in TO around this deal. It might just force other interested parties to step up.

Also the cap penalty would actually be appealing to Florida. Possible money against their cap that they dont pay out... goood, goood.

I don't care where Luongo goes, I just want the best possible return. The insiders on tsn said that the Panthers probably won't be able to re-sign Weiss in the offseason so they are likely to trade him. And right now he has an amazing cap (3.1M) for a legitimate top 6 forward. Put him on the wing when Kesler gets back, and you have someone who actually knows how to pass! Unbelievable I know! Plus he has chemistry with Booth from Florida. It's really a no brainer, MG has to be targeting Weiss over Bozak.

Oh and regarding my 2018-2019 Florida Panthers, I just won the presidents trophy with this team (55 wins).

Reguarding aquiring Weiss, I also think Florida would be hard pressed to move him with the lack of experience centers that can play a top 6 role. Id think that theyd want an experienced C in return. I think that if they do indeed move him, it'll be at the deadline, when they know where they stand in their playoff run, and when other teams might see him as a very intreguing rental.

hahaha yeah we'll even give them raymond and desbien to ship off to toronto with Bryz. Gillis would be god if this went down!

its a major long shot but not totally out of the realm of possibility looking at holmgrens past. Im not sure if he'd be jumping on it right now though. He'll probably make the call about edler closer to the deadline unless his team is in the tank. I see TO or FLA beating him to the punch.

interesting hypothical situation and would be a godsend for the vancouver canucks if it happened. I like the idea of starting to turn over assets for youth now and still remaining a top team like philly just did. you gotta be careful but it pays huge if you get it right.

There are two things about Weiss that I think make it unlikely that he is dealt. First, if Florida deals him, they become extremely young at center. One veteran in Goc and then Matthias, Huberdeau, Shore, Bjugstad... which is why I think it's more realistic that one of those guys is included in a deal.

The Canucks would also have to re-sign Weiss, and Edler, Higgins, Lapierre...and try to get under the 64 million cap ceiling...I'm not sure they can take back what is essentially a 5 million dollar player in a Luongo deal.

I think the one thing that puts a halt on this is the fact that buyouts can't take place until the summer. On the other hand it may not be impossible to move Bryzgalov, particularly if Toronto is left empty-handed. They've gotten used to the idea of the Luongo contract.... ::D

Philly does have the cap space however to cut any variation of that deal.

Come to think of it, the buyout option could also bring another team into the picture.

The Islanders could be a pretty good bet to buyout Dipietro.

And they only have Nabokov (37) signed to the end of this season.

Luongo and Connauton to Long Island, for Okposo, Hominic, and Brock Nelson (add Nabokov if the Isles would like to move his 2.75 for the remainder of the season).

Sign Jochen Hecht or Arnott to a one year deal.

Sign Ellis as insurance if Nabokov isn't thrown in.

I hate Luongo more than anyone, I have said since Luongo v1.0 that his value is worthless.

The more I am reading into this the more I am starting to change my mind.

Even a cocky bastard like myself can admit when im wrong.

I think because of the short season

The urgency to win becomes greater for TO.

The urgency to generate ticket sales from lost rev becomes greater for FLA.TB,NYI

The rookie hangover in WASH is long gone.

SJ has an aging core that couldn’t get the job done 5 years younger.

CHI and PHI are a goaltender away from a Stanley cup.

Every point is critical and I don’t think these teams can afford to wait till the summer or the trade deadline.

Advantage Gillis.

Archived