The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Rather see

Loungo- fills a big hole and yes agree NYI on the upswing and Lou could carry them to a birth and be a star in NYC, he'd likely love the limelight...and it would be great for him to recapture some appreciation

Ballard-NYI need a veteran puck moving dman, their d is young and inexperienced Ballard fills a big need

Schroeder - Addresses filling a gap I am creating with the trade but also a reliable player who's likely to get a better chance in NY

for

Nabakov - makes absolute sense for both sides as you suggested

Matt Martin - love this kid and is the 4th liner we need - hitter/fighter/speed/size

Ryan Strome - Fills our need for a potential real 1/2 center and is a Canadian kid with decent size

2nd

Result is what I like in the future..our core should/would include

Jensen, Strome, Kassian, Martin, Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Corrado, Gaunce, Lack - that's not a bad core if you can find a couple steals in the next 4-5 years thats a decent group (once our current vets are gone for the most part)

LW/Kesler (mid 30's)/Kassian

Jensen/Strome/RW

LW/Gaunce/Martin

4th

Corrado/Edler (mid 30's)

Tanev/Connaghton

Aging vet- ie Garrison?/Sauve

Lack

Schnieder (aging/backup)

Not too many holes and a solid group and have to just LOVE that size and intensity

But to my point ...in regards to the NYI - if you had 1/2 a brain, yes 1/2 you'd know they are....

Moving to a new arena with a fan base much closer to NYR so competing for alot of the same people after an extended lockout and therefore what? Need to put a winner on the ice!!! aha!

And where are their biggest gaps now? Veteran presence, a solid goalie and a veteran dman who can move the puck....oh wow...hmmm who has those???

What's there strength? Down the middle youth. Oh wow ..whats the Nucks needs????

So brainiac? How do they sell tickets? New city, team hasn't made the playoffs in years, competing for fans with the Rangers .....Well....angry little man, maybe they think about adding another elite player who they can market, add some buzz around the team, and make the playoffs!!!!

Who's available who fits their needs and that category?? OMG! maybe Lou??

What can they give up and not really feel it?? Well, Strome since he hasn't played a game and would fill the Nucks need.

I'll let you 2 continue the pissing match, but you did make some points so I would like to address them and sidestep the war of words.

The Islanders don't need anything really, they are just waiting, they are biding there time until there young players are better, it's no different than when the Islanders came into the league in the 70's. Bill Torrey explains it well in that the team decided to go through the struggles, bide there time, and go for the draft. To put there time and effort into drafting, develop there players and watch them grow into a contender.

They are pretty much into the same situation now as back then, they are still recovering from the wrath of Milbury, and unlike Milbury they didn't try to use the bandaid approach and they went for the draft while trying to remain as comeptitive as possible. They got there franchise player/center piece in Tavares, & they have added other key pieces in Ninoreitter, Reinhart, Hamonic, Strome, exc.

And even if they weren't waiting to use there assets at a more appropriate time for the good of the franchise like I said they are, Nabokov and Dipetrio are both solid goaltender, between the 2 of them I am sure they can give solid enough goaltending to give an outside shot at the playoffs if they can add to some other areas through free agency if they want to improve a bit more now, and honestly they have some veterans there (Streit, Moulson, Nabokov, exc.) and are waiting for there young blueliners to emerge (Hamonic, Donovan, Reinhart, Mayfield, De Haan, exc.) just like the the forwards.

It doesn't make sense for them to trade and amazing asset like Strome now, when he is going to be at his best and help them the most as an asset and as a player in the future, rather than trading him now for a goalie that won't be there throughout the prime years of that franchise with this core.

You have to think about things more depth before making major moves like this.

And as for them needing to draw to new fans, Nassau County is only about 45 Minutes away, alot of Vancouver fans have to drive that far for games all the time, so if they really love there team they probably won't have an issue making the drive now and then in 2-3 years when they move anyways.

And also alot of New Yorkers in that area drive that long for work, so a long drive is nothing new to them.

Again the Islanders decline.

I disagree

1. You are assuming that Hockey is a big draw in NYC - Basketball, Baseball, Football come first

2. You are assuming that owners and fans in the US think like we Canadians, we'll be patient, build. No chance, they want winners now and from living in NYC I can tell you that's the attitude. Look at New Jersey, a team that was perrenially a winner and yet can't sell out, and their arena is next to where the giants play, a short drive as you say.

3. As you say, they have a bevy of young talent, it allows them to give something up to make some money and develop their new fan base NOW

4. You don't win over new fans, and whether you want to accept it or not, moving to Brooklyn is about a new fan base, and not you or me sir, the corporate fan base. How do you win them over when they can go down to MSG - well give them an exciting product that rivals and becomes the place to be - how do you do that, win.

They cannot wait, year one needs to be a 'bang' especially with the lockout.

They make money from the corporate lower bowl and boxes and making the playoffs not from mr. casual fan driving from Long Island. And thats the reality.

I'm glad you put this into points, to make it easier to debate, anyways I'll just continue with it.

1. I understand hockey isn't a big draw compared to those sports, in all of the US hockey doesn't compete to the other major spots, this isn't just a NY thing, and the Rangers have done quite well even when they don't win alot. With any sports franchise success is the ultimate thing that draws fans, but you will always have a group of loyal fans that support your group no matter what and those are the people I was addressing with the "45 Minute drive" comment, also being closer to the heart on NY in Brooklyn, they will get alot more Rangers fans in that building, and with more people in the surrounding area you think it would attract more casual fans just looking for entertainment than in Nassau.

2. Actually they can be patient, and Florida is a perfect example of this, they are a market that has struggled aswell, but they are being patient with there team, not rushing the young players, and the Islanders should be more willing to be patient as they have shown, and in the past with Chicago we have seen that, they struggled and were terrible for how long? If the NYI be patient and let there assets grow they will be a top 5 team in this league and a top stanley cup contender every year, and the success they will have if they wait since they will have moved to a new area with more people is far greater than them morgating the future now and just getting by, doing average maybe being a 2nd round playoff team at best and barley getting by or just going even.

3. They do, and I could see them moving a Mayfield or a Donovan or a De Haan or someone like that but Strome is a rising star in terms of young prospects, this guy will 1) Garner more return than Lu, 2) won't be moved cause he isn't one of those assets that you move. You don't move a top player like that to get assets for the present you move other guys not Strome. And again they don't need fans this instant, they fill 81% of there building every night which for a team that has gone through decades of mediocrity and lesser finishes isn't terrible, and once they move to Brooklyn there will be a larger population to attract as I said.

4. Them moving to Brooklyn isn't about getting a new fan base, it is because the building they are in now is rotting to the ground and they need a new building, Nassau county won't give them one so they have to move elsewhere, they would choose a new building in Nassau 10/10 times if they had the choice between Brooklyn and Long Island, but they have no other choice they can't stay in the that building past the lease, they just can't, it doesn't work for the viability of the franchise. And if they acquired Luongo and made the playoffs and got bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the next 3-4 years they would not rival MSG, they would not beat MSG, if they wait and become a top team, they will rival MSG and probably beat out the Rangers as the hot team in town because they will be so much better. Just like last time.

We have kind of gotten into a debate about markets and viability exc rather than the actually deal, but who says Luongo is going to bring them that bang? Barley getting into the playoffs and getting bounced early won't help them much, they have a storied history and need to turn the ship around for the long haul not do patch work, waiting a bit now will pay off immensely in the future because they will be a stable franchise for a decade or 2, if morgate all they suffered and worked for like Milbury did last time look where they will end up? Right where they are now, a struggling team that has to move (a bit) because they haven't had the success for the city council to be willing to help fund a new arena which they desperately need.

Going for the future is the right thing for the Islanders, and bringing it back to the context of this deal, Luongo probably isn't worth Strome espcially when they already have a life long contract to one of there goaltenders and another capable goaltender already there.

I'm glad you put this into points, to make it easier to debate, anyways I'll just continue with it.

1. I understand hockey isn't a big draw compared to those sports, in all of the US hockey doesn't compete to the other major spots, this isn't just a NY thing, and the Rangers have done quite well even when they don't win alot. With any sports franchise success is the ultimate thing that draws fans, but you will always have a group of loyal fans that support your group no matter what and those are the people I was addressing with the "45 Minute drive" comment, also being closer to the heart on NY in Brooklyn, they will get alot more Rangers fans in that building, and with more people in the surrounding area you think it would attract more casual fans just looking for entertainment than in Nassau.

2. Actually they can be patient, and Florida is a perfect example of this, they are a market that has struggled aswell, but they are being patient with there team, not rushing the young players, and the Islanders should be more willing to be patient as they have shown, and in the past with Chicago we have seen that, they struggled and were terrible for how long? If the NYI be patient and let there assets grow they will be a top 5 team in this league and a top stanley cup contender every year, and the success they will have if they wait since they will have moved to a new area with more people is far greater than them morgating the future now and just getting by, doing average maybe being a 2nd round playoff team at best and barley getting by or just going even.

3. They do, and I could see them moving a Mayfield or a Donovan or a De Haan or someone like that but Strome is a rising star in terms of young prospects, this guy will 1) Garner more return than Lu, 2) won't be moved cause he isn't one of those assets that you move. You don't move a top player like that to get assets for the present you move other guys not Strome. And again they don't need fans this instant, they fill 81% of there building every night which for a team that has gone through decades of mediocrity and lesser finishes isn't terrible, and once they move to Brooklyn there will be a larger population to attract as I said.

4. Them moving to Brooklyn isn't about getting a new fan base, it is because the building they are in now is rotting to the ground and they need a new building, Nassau county won't give them one so they have to move elsewhere, they would choose a new building in Nassau 10/10 times if they had the choice between Brooklyn and Long Island, but they have no other choice they can't stay in the that building past the lease, they just can't, it doesn't work for the viability of the franchise. And if they acquired Luongo and made the playoffs and got bounced in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the next 3-4 years they would not rival MSG, they would not beat MSG, if they wait and become a top team, they will rival MSG and probably beat out the Rangers as the hot team in town because they will be so much better. Just like last time.

We have kind of gotten into a debate about markets and viability exc rather than the actually deal, but who says Luongo is going to bring them that bang? Barley getting into the playoffs and getting bounced early won't help them much, they have a storied history and need to turn the ship around for the long haul not do patch work, waiting a bit now will pay off immensely in the future because they will be a stable franchise for a decade or 2, if morgate all they suffered and worked for like Milbury did last time look where they will end up? Right where they are now, a struggling team that has to move (a bit) because they haven't had the success for the city council to be willing to help fund a new arena which they desperately need.

Going for the future is the right thing for the Islanders, and bringing it back to the context of this deal, Luongo probably isn't worth Strome espcially when they already have a life long contract to one of there goaltenders and another capable goaltender already there.

I think there's a good chance Lu stays. Especially with the new CBA rules if the Canucks are stuck with his cap even after he retires.

With the new cap recapture rule If Lu is traded to the Leafs, Lu's cap would only count against Toronto for as long as he plays, if he retires before his contract expires then his cap counts against VAN for the remaining years.

If this rule is a part of the new CBA then it makes more sense for MG to trade Schneider.

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640560

RANK PLAYER

1. ERIK KARLSSON

2. ZDENO CHARA

3. SHEA WEBER

4. KRIS LETANG

5. DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN

6. ALEX PIETRANGELO

7. DAN BOYLE

8. ALEXANDER EDLER

9. RYAN SUTER

10. BRIAN CAMPBELL

11. P.K. SUBBAN

12. DION PHANEUF

13. MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO

14. MARK STREIT

15. KEITH YANDLE

16. KEVIN SHATTENKIRK

17. DREW DOUGHTY

18. NIKLAS KRONWALL

19. JACK JOHNSON

20. TOBIAS ENSTROM

21. DUNCAN KEITH

22. KIMMO TIMONEN

23. MARK GIORDANO

24. CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF

25. BRENT BURNS

26. RYAN WHITNEY

27. ALEX GOLIGOSKI

28. SERGEI GONCHAR

29. TYLER MYERS

30. DMITRY KULIKOV

RANK TEAM PLAYER

31. JONI PITKANEN

32. JAMES WISNIEWSKI

33. LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY

34. CAM FOWLER

35. DENNIS WIDEMAN

36. ANDREI MARKOV

37. BRENT SEABROOK

38. JASON GARRISON

39. MATT CARLE

40. KEVIN BIEKSA

41. MIKE GREEN

42. OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON

43. SHELDON SOURAY

44. IAN WHITE

45. ZACH BOGOSIAN

46. DAN GIRARDI

47. MAREK ZIDLICKY

48. BRENDAN SMITH

49. JOHN-MICHAEL LILES

50. SLAVA VOYNOV

51. RYAN MCDONAGH

52. NICK LEDDY

53. ERIK JOHNSON

54. JUSTIN SCHULTZ

55. JOHN CARLSON

56. NIKITA NIKITIN

57. JUSTIN FAULK

58. RYAN ELLIS

59. DAN HAMHUIS

60. JARED SPURGEON

For Schneider or a Schneider package, I would try to hit a top 15, which includes FLA Campbell WPG Byfuglien, and TOR Phaneuf.

On another note, re-signing Edler will be extremely hard but the Canucka should try everything to fit him in. Nice to see .38 Garrison above .40 Bieksa. Reassuring.

Extra note: .12 Phaneuf, .59 Hamhuis.

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640560

RANK PLAYER

1. ERIK KARLSSON

2. ZDENO CHARA

3. SHEA WEBER

4. KRIS LETANG

5. DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN

6. ALEX PIETRANGELO

7. DAN BOYLE

8. ALEXANDER EDLER

9. RYAN SUTER

10. BRIAN CAMPBELL

11. P.K. SUBBAN

12. DION PHANEUF

13. MICHAEL DEL ZOTTO

14. MARK STREIT

15. KEITH YANDLE

16. KEVIN SHATTENKIRK

17. DREW DOUGHTY

18. NIKLAS KRONWALL

19. JACK JOHNSON

20. TOBIAS ENSTROM

21. DUNCAN KEITH

22. KIMMO TIMONEN

23. MARK GIORDANO

24. CHRISTIAN EHRHOFF

25. BRENT BURNS

26. RYAN WHITNEY

27. ALEX GOLIGOSKI

28. SERGEI GONCHAR

29. TYLER MYERS

30. DMITRY KULIKOV

RANK TEAM PLAYER

31. JONI PITKANEN

32. JAMES WISNIEWSKI

33. LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY

34. CAM FOWLER

35. DENNIS WIDEMAN

36. ANDREI MARKOV

37. BRENT SEABROOK

38. JASON GARRISON

39. MATT CARLE

40. KEVIN BIEKSA

41. MIKE GREEN

42. OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON

43. SHELDON SOURAY

44. IAN WHITE

45. ZACH BOGOSIAN

46. DAN GIRARDI

47. MAREK ZIDLICKY

48. BRENDAN SMITH

49. JOHN-MICHAEL LILES

50. SLAVA VOYNOV

51. RYAN MCDONAGH

52. NICK LEDDY

53. ERIK JOHNSON

54. JUSTIN SCHULTZ

55. JOHN CARLSON

56. NIKITA NIKITIN

57. JUSTIN FAULK

58. RYAN ELLIS

59. DAN HAMHUIS

60. JARED SPURGEON

For Schneider or a Schneider package, I would try to hit a top 15, which includes FLA Campbell WPG Byfuglien, and TOR Phaneuf.

On another note, re-signing Edler will be extremely hard but the Canucka should try everything to fit him in. Nice to see .38 Garrison above .40 Bieksa. Reassuring.

Extra note: .12 Phaneuf, .49 Hamhuis.

I think there's a good chance Lu stays. Especially with the new CBA rules if the Canucks are stuck with his cap even after he retires.

With the new cap recapture rule If Lu is traded to the Leafs, Lu's cap would only count against Toronto for as long as he plays, if he retires before his contract expires then his cap counts against VAN for the remaining years.

If this rule is a part of the new CBA then it makes more sense for MG to trade Schneider.

Again. Find me one 1st or 2nd source that says he asked for a trade.

His comment post-elimination game stating he would be willing to waive his NTC has to be one of the most taken out of context comment in the history of the Vancouver Canucks, even more than the famous "we choked" by Naslund.

Of course Gillis would make a great trade that helps the team if such a trade would come to surface. Of course Luongo would like to go play in Florida and be near his family. I bet most Ontario-born players would like to play close to home too either for the Leafs or for the Senators.

I believe Schneider still has some meat to eat before he can be considered even close to what Luongo is; a number one goaltender.

The media has turned this into a super summer circus. If there's a season this year, it would be asinine to sell 1/2 the insurance policy the Canucks have in net. Absolutely silly.

Come trade deadline, that's another story for another time. If the offer is there for Schneider that makes for a much better Canucks team, or for Luongo, Gillis has to look at it hard. If either goaltender can make the Canucks better in a trade, of course it will then make sense to do such a trade. But trading Luongo just to trade him out is absolutely insane.

Thèse guys are pros and there's no animosity between the organization, the players or the goaltenders; only between the fans/ media and Luongo because of some sound bytes.

Time for forgiveness and support is what I say.

These are fantasy rankings, meaning points and goals exc.

Cause who in there right mind would take Campbell and Byfuglien higher than Keith and Doughty, aswell as Ehrhoff over Tyler Myers, then Ryan Ellis over Dan Hamhuis. And to top off who would rank McDonagh at 51st.

these aren't ratings in order of how good they are these are fantasy ratings, huge difference in what they mean.

http://m.bleacherrep...r-face-in-vegas

I'm so sick of posting this link

He clearly states "it's time to move on"

This was all over the news when it happened in July but I have noticed that some people have subconsciously blocked this out do to the extremely traumatic experience

Also I'm getting pretty tired of people crying about how mean we are to Luongo and how we are driving him out of town blah blah blah. The guy is being paid millions of dollars for playing a game he loves. After a year into the biggest contract this team has ever invested in.

The crybaby publicly states he wants to be traded and totally handcuffs the GM that bend over backwards for him.

What ever happened to loyalty? They where loyal to him after all those questionable playoff performances, they have always supported the guy publicly.

All of you Luo lovers always cry out "look what Roberto has done for us he made us into a contender he took us to game 7 of the cup"!!!

Well I guess I just see things differently.

I say look what we have done for Roberto we brought him to a contender and gave him every chance in the world to succeed and he wiped his a$$ with that.

AV puts Cory in out of desperation to hopefully spark his team and Luongo wants a trade now.... What a team player.

I have never herd one of his teammates or coaches say anything about a weak goal. I do however recall Roberto talking about defensive breakdowns causing goals on several occasions.

Anyone that supports a guy like that is just as pathetic as he is. I'm glad he wants out cause if he is not grateful and loyal to this organization and his teammates, we don't want him.

No chance GMMG would trade Lu under them circumstances, and with 9 seasons left after this season, I would bet Lu will be bought out in the off season.

With the NHL apparently offering 2 buyouts it seems that burying contracts in the minors is going to be a thing of the past and ZERO teams including us would risk having a mid 30s goalie with a 5.3 contract for 9 more seasons.

Archived