The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Now why haven't all the GMs in the league thought of the "let's risk the future to get the big prize right now" approach? Oh, that's right, because of the 30 teams in the league, 16 have a chance at the cup once playoffs start, and it's not the team that spends the most that is guaranteed to win.

How's that community college psychology class going for you? Was the first day of the class today?

The only reason Luongo wants a trade is because he's finally had competition for the starting job. What I'm saying is, a player who is a team player won't care where they play, they just want the team to win. Luongo is showing no loyalty to the Canucks especially after signing the long term contract extension, he figured he would retire as a Canuck. But as soon as Schneider developed and replaced Luongo, he immediately wanted out. Which means one of 2 things- He's only interested in money or he's only interested in playing on a team where he's not contested for the starting job, which is never a good thing and shows that Luongo thinks he's better than Schneider when last season proved that was not the case and proves my point that Luongo is not a team player.

It's Tyler freekin Bozak. Mason Raymond 2.0 basically for crying out loud. He is very expendable/replaceable if he walks. And imo, it's better we trade for a 1 year rental since we have far more important players to re-sign such as Kassian and Edler.

Fact is you can't keep everyone. Some players always walk.

I might be inclined to agree with you, if the context was as you see it.

The thing is - this whole trade Luongo entity didn't start because Luongo indicated that he wanted to be traded.

It started because of a media scrum after game 5, when immediately following elimation, the Vancouver media were in Luongo's face asking him if he'd waive his no trade clause - he said he would if management asked him to.

That doesn't make him a crappy team player.

Therefore I think you have things bass ackwards.

Let's see if somone can clear this up for me.

So with the new so called "Luongo rule", if he retires with 3 years left on his contract, we'll be stuck with a 2 million dollar cap hit in each of those final 3 years, along with the team that trades for him.

So what's to stop the other team from simply buying him out? That wouldn't be considered retiring, so we wouldn't get stuck with the cap hit would we?

Let's see if somone can clear this up for me.

So with the new so called "Luongo rule", if he retires with 3 years left on his contract, we'll be stuck with a 2 million dollar cap hit in each of those final 3 years, along with the team that trades for him.

So what's to stop the other team from simply buying him out? That wouldn't be considered retiring, so we wouldn't get stuck with the cap hit would we?

So it seems to me that Florida is bracing themselves for trading Weiss with all these PTO's they are handing out.

What do you guys think his value would be? Luongo for him straight across with a conditional pick maybe if he walks next year? I really like Alex Petrovic, but could we get him in the deal?

Any ideas? Is Weiss, Petrovic, conditional 2nd a fair trade?

I think Luongo is going to be a Canucks until at least the trading deadline. Unless MG gest a significant return Lu stays a Canuck. I have no doubt. Especially with the amount of games in a short period of time coming up. Any team with 2 would be wise to keep them both. There will be lots of back to back games and 4 games in 8 nights etc.

So it seems to me that Florida is bracing themselves for trading Weiss with all these PTO's they are handing out.

What do you guys think his value would be? Luongo for him straight across with a conditional pick maybe if he walks next year? I really like Alex Petrovic, but could we get him in the deal?

Any ideas? Is Weiss, Petrovic, conditional 2nd a fair trade?

I'm tired of the Leafs, so I got a GD blockbuster for you.

Luongo, Ballard.

Okposo, Hamonic, Brock Nelson, 1st 2013, 1st 2014, Ville Pokka, Rick Dipietro.

Breakdown -

Luongo, Ballard for Okposo, Hamonic, Nelson.

A pair of 1sts, and Ville Pokka for taking Dipietro's contract.

Canucks take back 8.2 in cap hit for this season. Next season that drops to 3.7, because they buyout Dipietro at season's end. Hamonic will need to be qualified.

Islanders make a massive splash, get an actual franchise goaltender, a veteran blueliner, and the cash strapped club saves about $24 million.

Canucks get serious young talent at RW and on the blueline, a great prospect in Nelson, and essentially buy a Finnish blueline prospect and a couple picks to keep the window open in the future.

Mr. Aquilini.. are you willing?

Archived