3455 replies to this topic

#1051 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

haha. Its highly unlikely, but does make sense for Philly and Vancouver... if they could both come up with minor compensation it could actually work, if Toronto really is desperate.

I always find it more tricky when you deal with 3-way deals. No way Toronto or Philly accept.

Just think:

Out of Philly

-Bryz
-Couturier

To Philly
-Luongo

Doesn't make sense.

Posted Image

#1052 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image

+1 - nice photoshop skills there Lu.

Posted Image

#1053 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

you got both Schenns in there and no Edler! hmm

Yea, I meant to.

Luongo
Edler

for

B.Schenn
L.Schenn
Grossman

That seems to be the most popular package.

Edited by DeNiro, 09 January 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1054 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Heres a crazy thought. If Philly wants Luongo, Toronto still needs a goalie, and Van just wants the best return possible how about.....

Lou to Philly, Bryzgalov and Van 2nd to Toronto, Gardiner and Couturier to Vancouver.

Philly gets Lou for Couturier straight up, which they would probably do
Vancouver gets the best pieces offered from either teams (better than Gardiner+Kadri, better than Couturier +Grossman)
Which leaves Toronto.... would they give up Gardiner to take on Bryzgalov's contract? the second is compensation for that.. but this trade would still come down to them accepting it or not.

Oh God this would be brilliant.

It is a very interesting Situation, Bryz is almost worthless to Philly if they get Lu and just buy him out, would Toronto willingly know that and trade Gardiner for Bryz?

I just don't know maybe,

Van
Gardiner
Couturier

Philly
Luongo
Kadri

Tor
Bryz
Ballard
1st Van
1st Philly

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#1055 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Yea, it`s fairly easy to replace a 50 point defenseman if you wanna pay 6 or 7 million for one. Or trade away half of your farm. Ehrhoff was a rare situation where San Jose wanted to dump him to get Heatley. I wouldn`t count on that happening too often.

50 point defensemen don`t grow on trees. It`s almost impossible to get them through free agency without overpaying for them.

The fact that we can likely re-sign Edler for 5 million, means it would be silly to let him walk. Why would we wanna sacrifice depth at left side D, for depth at right side D? That really doesn't make us any deeper.

I do understand your point DeNiro, and in most threads I tend to side with you. But I just don't see it.

Both D men that Edler has best played with are gone (Salo, Ehrhoff) and has shown terrible results playing with Hamhuis, Ballard, and even Bieksa, an actual RSD. Yes 5M a year may be a "fair" price for Edler's skill, but I think only under the right conditions.

Chances are he would want a full NTC and that could really bite us in the ass if things don't work out. I just feel that losing a D man that can score 50 points isn't the biggest loss if his primary function, which is to be a defender, is lacking.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#1056 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

If you don't have a hard time pulling the trigger as a armchair GM when coming up with a trade proposal, it probably isn't balanced.

Posted Image

#1057 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

heres a crazy scenerio that just popped in my head.

Luongo + Edler to Philly for Couturier + Grossman

Bryz gets waived, Toronto picks him up.

any chance of that happening? lol

#1058 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Personally, I'm just speculating that his agent isn't willing to buy into the Canucks' internal $4.6m cap (likely $4.9m for Edler) on Dmen. If that's the case, there is precedent that Gillis won't budge financially (see Ehrhoff) so perhaps you package him up to Philly for couple of their young studs.

I'd like to do that too but I can't see philly giving up one of their young studs for one year of Edler. They'd be in the same situation as us.

I'd expect it to be Luongo alone or maybe one other small piece. The bigger the proposal the less realistic IMO.

#1059 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

heres a crazy scenerio that just popped in my head.

Luongo + Edler to Philly for Couturier + Grossman

Bryz gets waived, Toronto picks him up.

any chance of that happening? lol

I heard Edmonton's got first pick then Columbus.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#1060 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Imagine a week where Burke gets fired, Lou goes to Philly and the Canucks get Braden Schenn.

Burke would need counseling after that.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1061 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Eklund said phillys not in.

And apparently Eklund has a good source in philly and he was actually correct in calling the Richards and Carter trades.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#1062 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'd like to do that too but I can't see philly giving up one of their young studs for one year of Edler. They'd be in the same situation as us.

I'd expect it to be Luongo alone or maybe one other small piece. The bigger the proposal the less realistic IMO.

I think Philly is desperate for a D-man with Pronger likely done, and Mezaros injured. Their window is now too. Sure they've got younger players so it will be open longer, but they have a chance to win now.

They need that top pairing D-man. And with Pronger's injury likely being career ending, they have enough cap space to throw whatever money Edler wants at him to re-sign him.

Edited by DeNiro, 09 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

#1063 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Eklund said phillys not in.

And apparently Eklund has a good source in philly and he was actually correct in calling the Richards and Carter trades.

I'll take Aaron Dater, a writer for SI over Eklund, a troll in his parents basement.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1064 FoNZ87

FoNZ87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Have no idea why Dallas isnt rumoured to be atleast offering up some sort of package with their horrific goaltending situation.
Also, WTF is their problem not resigning Jamie Benn, an absolutely monster. pay the kid whatever he is demanding. Dream scenerio is prying that kid to vancouver somehow.

Toronto seems like a reasonable destination. As long as one of Tyler Biggs or Jake Gardiner is included in a package otherwise they can absolutely frack off. Kadri cant even crack their big club, Bozak is decent depth player for the vancouver roster.

Florida - reasonable destination, if im MG I want one of huberdeau/Bjugstad/ or that dmen prospect.

Chicago seems highly unlikely but omg the rivalry would be just so incredible.

Philly - highly unlikely just because of bryz and $ it does not work.

Goaltending is extremely important and Im sure Gillis will play this perfectly however it ends up transpiring.

#1065 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'll take Aaron Dater, a writer for SI over Eklund, a troll in his parents basement.

Can't forget the great bastion of hockey knowledge that is SI....

When ESPN writers start commenting then you know its on.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#1066 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think Philly is desperate for a D-man with Pronger likely done, and Mezaros injured. Their window is now too. Sure they've got younger players so it will be open longer, but they have a chance to win now.

They need that top pairing D-man. And with Pronger's injury likely being career ending, they have enough cap space to throw whatever money Edler wants at him to re-sign him.

I agree. looking at their Depth chart minus Mez and Pronger, its quite horrid.

I think IF Philly acquired Lu and Edler, there is still a market for bryz that could possibly bring back a defense first d.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#1067 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yea, I meant to.

Luongo
Edler

for

B.Schenn
L.Schenn
Grossman

Edler at this point is untouchable if we are going to be a contender so scrap that idea
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1068 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

What if outa' the gate some others like Wash, or TBay find their young 'tenders flop? Or 1 or 2 others get some groin issues, etc...?

Meanwhile, both Van 'tenders get time, & both play very well. Yeah, it could go the other way-but this possibility seems more likely.

Gillis could end up selling high to a very desperate GM.

He'll be cruisin' the beach in a lambourghini.

#1069 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Have no idea why Dallas isnt rumoured to be atleast offering up some sort of package with their horrific goaltending situation.

What the hell are you talking about? They have Lehtonen, Bachman and also Campbell waiting in the wings. They have pretty good goaltending (better than Toronto, Philly, even Florida).

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1070 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,346 posts

Edler at this point is untouchable if we are going to be a contender so scrap that idea

Funny I really thought we already were a contender.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#1071 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

That's true, but we're in win now mode too. I don't think it would be a good idea to trade Edler for a lesser player at this point, unless it was a small difference, but then it probably wouldn't make sense for Philly.

#1072 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I agree. I don't wanna trade Edler.

But if Gillis doesn't think he can re-sign him under our cap structure, that means he'll likely walk for nothing. Turning down two solid young players would be pretty hard to do.

Although this is all just speculation, so it doesn't really mean anything.

Posted Image

#1073 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Eklunds only connection in hockey is in the flyers organization and this one of the few times i would take his word over a SI writer.

SI has very little credibility with hockey and Adrian Dater is a writer for the Avs
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1074 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

That's true, but we're in win now mode too. I don't think it would be a good idea to trade Edler for a lesser player at this point, unless it was a small difference, but then it probably wouldn't make sense for Philly.

Well in this scenario you would be trading him for a lesser player (L.Schenn), but it would be part of a bigger package that included B.Schenn. Which would be a big upgrade to our depth down the middle.

You would have to weigh the net benefit of it.

Posted Image

#1075 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yea, I meant to.

Luongo
Edler

for

B.Schenn
L.Schenn
Grossman

give em Raymond and a bottle of crown royal just for being a swell trading partner.. I'd lose it, forget about the lockout and buy double schenn jerseys if that went down.

#1076 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

God, I love this, it makes me feel alive after 8 months of nothing.

The bloggers are completely lost, none of them have any idea what to think at this point. They are obviously taking everything with a grain of salt though. More so than us anyways.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#1077 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,508 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

It is a ridiculous rumour but that's the beauty of trade rumours (most trade details aren't leaked before the actual deal goes through).

Grossman is choice #1 and Brayden Schenn is the fall back option #2? That sentence in itself makes zero sense but it was a fun little discussion nonetheless.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1078 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Funny I really thought we already were a contender.

Removing our Top d man for a couple bottom 6 defence man and the chances go down and to be honest right now in my opinion with the holes we have and with a condensed shortened season with a lot of our key players being veterans and not seeing live action in 8 months im a little nervous about this team , Oilers i think are going to be the team to watch this year

Edited by ccc44, 09 January 2013 - 10:18 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#1079 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

give em Raymond and a bottle of crown royal just for being a swell trading partner.. I'd lose it, forget about the lockout and buy double schenn jerseys if that went down.

Then have a garage sale and give away Ballard and Malhotra lol.

#1080 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Lol, I can't believe you people putting weight on Eklund's tweets. I guess I'll go back to scrolling through these posts, as clearly anyone who believes that clown is not worth reading.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.