3455 replies to this topic

#1111 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Question 1: Can JVR play center for a few weeks?

Question 2: Can Hartnell play center for a few weeks?

Question 3: Why do you ask?

JVR has played center in the past, just not in the NHL. He was actually rumoured to maybe be tried at center for the Leafs, although Carlyle has said he won't play him there to start the season.

Hartnell, I doubt it, but they have Briere, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot and Rinaldo all on their team who can play center, so I don't think they're looking to see if Hartnell can take a faceoff.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1112 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Brian Lawton on SPSN, "

Vancouver is pounding the pavement to find a backup goalie. phones around the league are ringing"

Bob McCown on SPSN Prime Time right now.

100% sure Canucks want Kadri + Gardiner for Luongo. BB was told by senior corporate mgmt he may have to do the deal but BB said he wouldn't do it to save his job because it was over payment.

note: Bob McCowan does not make up rumors. If he's saying this it's true.

These are particularly interesting, I'm happy MG is pressing for Gardiner and Kadri, maybe Nonis will give in with additional pieces, then Ballard can be moved and we will have a replacement.

And I wonder who is out there in terms of backup goalies. The best ones probably wouldn't be avaliable to us but I wonder who might be avaliable.

zackass.png

#1113 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Really don't see this happening unless Holmgren pulls off a Bryz buy out.

But....just for fun:

To Philly:

Luongo
Raymond

To Van:

Read
Rinaldo
MA Bourdon
A pick
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#1114 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,374 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

These are particularly interesting, I'm happy MG is pressing for Gardiner and Kadri, maybe Nonis will give in with additional pieces, then Ballard can be moved and we will have a replacement.

And I wonder who is out there in terms of backup goalies. The best ones probably wouldn't be avaliable to us but I wonder who might be avaliable.

Yea, this is the right asking price. I don't understand how anyone thought Bozak and Frattin was a good return. That's a horrible return.

In terms of backup goalies, Dan Ellis seems to make the most sense. Decent numbers as a backup, and has already shown an interest in playing here.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1115 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,328 posts

so now the flyers want lui? lol

bryz played just one season there and they just lost trust in him? lol lol

what if lui disapoints them too?

#1116 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

I think there is some romanticism with Lu going to Philly TBH.

We as Canuck fans generally dislike the leafs on a good day. Add in the fact that it has become a toxic organization, especially under Burke, and has no real prospects of winning soon, deep down I think all of us would be a little disappointed in Luongo going there.

Florida on the other hand would cause Luongo to sort of fade into obscurity. Yes he would be great for the organization but its Florida. They will never be able to invest the capital to create a year after year contender, regardless of what people say about their prospect pool. Give it a few years and they will have a hard time signing all those high draft picks, and will lose some to free agency.

Chicago and Edmonton, although big markets he would thrive in, are direct rivals of Vancouver and I think we all sort of puke at the thought of the greatest goalie in Canuck history going to a team we hate.

Then there is Philly. A team with a star we all love (Giroux), a strong history but not a direct rival of the Canucks. A goalie past much like our own, and a pure hatred for Chicago and Boston. It is a market where Lu could be a star, and we wouldn't feel bad about it. If he succeeds there, we wont have any bad blood.

I think we like the idea of it because it would be a good third chapter for Lu.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#1117 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

I can't see Philly buying him out that's so much money going to nothing. Might as well have a heart and trade for a bag of pucks and donate whatever you were going to spend buying him out to hurricane sandy..

These business men wouldn't be where they are today if they made huge wreckless financial moves like that.

#1118 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,374 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

It will be interesting to see what goes down in the next few days here.

I think most teams have already done their planning during the lockout. So I think alot of them will be ready to make deals right out of the gate.

In a shortened season, I think you wanna have your roster set right away. Unlike a full season where you can go a month to see what weaknesses need to be addressed.

It's gonna be the first time we see a trade deadline in January.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1119 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Yea, this is the right asking price. I don't understand how anyone thought Bozak and Frattin was a good return. That's a horrible return.

In terms of backup goalies, Dan Ellis seems to make the most sense. Decent numbers as a backup, and has already shown an interest in playing here.

Yeah I agree, Bozak doesn't bring much, Frattin is a nice player but a higher return should have been demanded. And I am happy MG is going for the moon, even if we don't get it I think this pushing will move Nonis closer to our price and will ultimately leave us with a better deal, and I think Nonis wants Luongo badly and good for him, it's a great move from there side to bring him in, so hopefully we can get something done that satisfies both sides.

As for backups, Ellis is the best choice out of the players avaliable on the free agency market, but I just wonder judging by that tweet, if they think there might be a better option through trade, and you have to think there might be, I just wonder who they have been asking about.

zackass.png

#1120 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Gillis is foaming at the mouth right now.

Hurry up and ratify this b*tch!

#1121 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Good question Smass. I been wondering the same thing and went thru team rosters of approx half the teams. Couldn't put my finger on who we could trade with for a backup.

I would have loved to have Vokoun as the backup but he signed with PITT in the summer.

Edit. IMO the backup would have to be a veteran goalie. Not a young guy to backup up Schneider.

Edited by WHL rocks, 09 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#1122 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Gillis is foaming at the mouth right now.

Hurry up and ratify this b*tch!

I'm pretty sure every Canucks fan and every Leafs fan wants it to be done with and see what happens, can't wait it is going to be something to really look forward too and it is going to be really interesting.

zackass.png

#1123 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I can't see Philly buying him out that's so much money going to nothing. Might as well have a heart and trade for a bag of pucks and donate whatever you were going to spend buying him out to hurricane sandy..

These business men wouldn't be where they are today if they made huge wreckless financial moves like that.

I agree, I don't see Phily buying him out either for same reasons as you.

#1124 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Good question Smass. I been wondering the same thing and went thru team rosters of approx half the teams. Couldn't put my finger on who we could trade with for a backup.

I would have loved to have Vokoun as the backup but he signed with PITT in the summer.

Edit. IMO the backup would have to be a veteran goalie. Not a young guy to backup up Schneider.

Yeah Vokoun would be the dream back-up and I agree with your edit, I think it should be a veteran aswell,

Maybe Evgeni Nabokov?

zackass.png

#1125 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

ballard, lu

gardiner kadri 2nd

:bigblush:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1126 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Yeah Vokoun would be the dream back-up and I agree with your edit, I think it should be a veteran aswell,

Maybe Evgeni Nabokov?

I looked at him earlier too. NYI is one of the teams I looked at. I thought Ballard could go there for Nabby. I'm not sure what they think about Dipietro's health.

#1127 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,495 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

"Maybe Luongo was the bear in the woods that Bryzgalov was talking about that scared him so much "

#1128 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

I looked at him earlier too. NYI is one of the teams I looked at. I thought Ballard could go there for Nabby. I'm not sure what they think about Dipietro's health.

Yeah I thought that too, with Gardiner it would make sense, NYI do have Poulin and that Nelsson. but with Dipietro's uncertainty it could be a concern.

zackass.png

#1129 Dynamic Innovator

Dynamic Innovator

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Question 3: Why do you ask?

JVR has played center in the past, just not in the NHL. He was actually rumoured to maybe be tried at center for the Leafs, although Carlyle has said he won't play him there to start the season.

Hartnell, I doubt it, but they have Briere, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot and Rinaldo all on their team who can play center, so I don't think they're looking to see if Hartnell can take a faceoff.

There is a lot of talk about Bozak, Kadri, Gardiner, Couturier, etc. Although the Canucks have an immediate need for a 2nd line center, I believe it is short term. When Kesler is back in the lineup, the new 2nd line center quickly becomes the 3rd line center. I think we have a pretty good 3rd line center in Lapierre.

I don't see Bozak or Kadri as stars or even potential stars. That's a poor return for an elite player, which Luongo is. If the Canucks trade a star, a star, or at least a very high quality player should be coming back.

Gardiner has big potential but isn't a great fit with the logjam it would create at D and is one of very few good players the Leafs have. Couturier is a very good player who would fit very well here but I just don't see prying him loose from Philly.

Hence the question about JVR. He has high end potential, is a big body, can play wing or center on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines. I think he would be an awesome fit.

The question about Hartnell is only a conversation starter. I think he's a great player and he would provide something that the Canucks don't have enough of. I like players in the Neely, Roberts, Shanahan, Nolan, Brindamour, Tocchet etc mold,

Edited by Dynamic Innovator, 10 January 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#1130 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I was hoping Giguire was available as a FA. He would be a great mentor to bring Schneider to the next level. Stanley Cup champ, played well when Varlamov was out and seems to have accepted the back up role. Also he would probably love another shot at the cup even if its from the bench. I don't see Colorado giving him up though

#1131 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I still think this will just be a straight trade between Toronto and Vancouver, but should Philly swoop in and take Lu, I wonder if they could then trade Bryz to Toronto for Komisarek seeing as they need Dmen.

#1132 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

And yeah, this feels f-ing great to be debating stuff like this after months of analyzing lawyers' quotes!

#1133 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I was hoping Giguire was available as a FA. He would be a great mentor to bring Schneider to the next level. Stanley Cup champ, played well when Varlamov was out and seems to have accepted the back up role. Also he would probably love another shot at the cup even if its from the bench. I don't see Colorado giving him up though

Schneider is like 26, no kid, and needs no mentoring and how does Schneider elevate and improve on what he has done so far. He could have taught lou !!

#1134 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

There is a lot of talk about Bozak, Kadri, Gardiner, Couturier, etc. Although the Canucks have an immediate need for a 2nd line center, I believe it is short term. When Kesler is back in the lineup, the new 2nd line center quickly becomes the 3rd line center. I think we have a pretty good 3rd line center in Lapierre.

I don't see Bozak or Kadri as stars or even potential stars. That's a poor return for an elite player, which Luongo is. If the Canucks trade a star, a star, or at least a very high quality player should be coming back.

Gardiner has big potential but isn't a great fit with the logjam it would create at D and is one of very few good players the Leafs have. Couturier is a very good player who would fit very well here but I just don't see prying him loose from Philly.

Hence the question about JVR. He has high end potential, is a big body, can play wing or center on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines. I think he would be an awesome fit.

The question about Hartnell is only a conversation starter. I think he's a great player and he would provide something that the Canucks don't have enough of. I like players in the Neely, Roberts, Shanahan, Nolan, Brindamour, Tocchet etc mold,

Seeing as they got VanRiemsdyk to at least try him at center, I don't think they turn around and move him again right away. Especially if they don't think Kadri is ready for that roll, if ever. That leaves them with next to nothing at center ice.

Hartnell is interesting, but I don't see Philly moving him he's a fan favourite, and I also don't see why Gillis would ask for him over Schenn or Couturier anyways.

#1135 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Schneider is like 26, no kid, and needs no mentoring and how does Schneider elevate and improve on what he has done so far. He could have taught lou !!

Everyone needs mentoring regardless of age, It's about passing on experience. And Giguere has experienced something no one on our roster has, winning the cup.

#1136 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Eklund said phillys not in.

And apparently Eklund has a good source in philly and he was actually correct in calling the Richards and Carter trades.

Try this: go to Google and type in Eklund is...and watch your autofill.

I see what you're saying, but the contract itself was the wreckless move - a buyout isn't wreckless - it's the aftermath.

I don't think they'd have to buyout Bryzgalov anyhow. It's not a context like Long Island where the only reason Dipietro is still in the NHL is because the Isles were married to him Bryzgalov is still a serviceable goaltender - he's just not a guy a contender wants to depend upon - but he's certainly good enough for Toronto - and Luongo's too good for TO.

#1137 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

(added bonus if Bryz winds up in TO -> another season of 24/7)

#1138 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

And adding Luongo in place of dipietro only adds the the cap hit, so how can u say that's an issue when your deal just increases the problem.

Your missing the point anyways, there is no chance they are going to pay that price to ditch Dipietro's contract...

When you make up your mind not to pay attention, you sure follow through.

Dipietro necessitated that the Isles also acquired Nabokov, and Al Montoya. Last season they were on the hook for $8 million. They are on the hook for Dipietro for another 8 years at $4.5 which means they are on the hook for 8 more years at 4.5 + whatever their real goaltender will cost, plus a backup. Nabokov is 37 and signed for merely 6 more months.

Dipietro is no longer a servicable NHL quality goaltender.

2009 - played 5 games, .892 sv%
2010- 8 games, .900
2011 - 26 games, .886
2012 - 8 games, .875

Suggesting that adding Luongo only adds cap hit is oblivious to the point.
Luongo is a $5.3 million cap hit. Luongo does not require that another starting goaltender be added. Is the difference not clear enough?
Snow can't afford to keep Dipietro and can't afford to buy him out. Do the math.

#1139 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, Giguire would be a great backup for Schneider. Vokoun would be my #1 choice but Giguire is experienced and a Cup winner.

Schneider has about 70 NHL games to his credit and 4 or 5 playoff starts. He needs a veteran backup for support and guidance. Just an older guy to bounce things off when times aren't so good.

Edited by WHL rocks, 10 January 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#1140 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,820 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

(added bonus if Bryz winds up in TO -> another season of 24/7)

:bigblush:

Toronto get Bryz
Philly get Luongo and Kadri/Bozak
Vancouver gets Couturier and Simmonds.

Philly loses their young RW, but that is the position, by far, where they have the most depth.
They add a center from Toronto to play in Couturier's spot.
If Philly would like a young blueliner in the deal, they can add a pick for Connauton, try to pawn Grossman off, but for Ballard (not Luongo lol, and I'm not sure I'd deal Ballard for Grossman).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.