The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

The Nonis list of "UFA" signings, coming from outside the team (not including trades or signing own players):

Johnathan Aitken

Lee Goren

Wade Flaherty

Jeff Heerema

Joe DiPenta

Richard Park

Anson Carter

Prestin Ryan

Sven Butenschon

Josh Green

Brent Johnson

Marc Chouinard

Jan Bulis

Joe Rullier

Gordie Dwyer

Rory Fitzpatrick

Byron Ritchie

Brad Isbister

Aaron Miller

Dan McGillis

I don't see anything in this list that suggests Nonis or the organisation was "attracting talent players".

On the other hand, the Gillis list doesn't seem that bad. There is plugs, but some talent as well:

Darcy Hordichuk

Alexandre Bolduc

Nolan Baumgartner

Ryan Johnson

Mark Cullen

Pavol Demitra

Rob Davison

Jason Krog

Aaron Rome

Lawrence Nycholat

Mikael Samuelsson

Tanner Glass

Andrew Raycroft

Mike Funk

Mathieu Schneider

Dan Hamhuis

Jeff Tambellini

Joel Perrault

Manny Malhotra

Tyler Weiman

Raffi Torres

Andrew Ebbett

Marco Sturm

Mark Mancari

Steven Pinizzotto

Alexander Sulzer

Matt Climie

Byron Bitz

Jason Garrison

Patrick Mullen

Guillaume Desbiens

Well if you watched the games, you would understand why they're losing. Our prospects were constantly being jumbled around the lineup, with no clear system in place for the team. The veterans were often used in key situations despite being outplayed by the Canucks prospects. They've got an assistant coach with no previous coaching experience trying to coach the D...

So yea, the coach does have a big part to do with it. Everyone who's following the Wolves right now can se that.

But next year doesn't matter. We want to win this year. And right now Weiss provides the most bang for your buck. I would even say that it's good his contract ends at the end of the season, that way we have more options.

What's the alternative? We keep Luongo? Okay lets say for a sec we keep Luongo lets assume both Schneids and Luo split the season. Ignoring the fact that we have over 9M in goalies which is ridiculous to begin with, there will be a total of 24 games where Luongo is glued to the bench. 24 games where we wouldn't get any production out of Luongo when we could have gotten a top-6 forward to play all 48 games. That is such a waste of an asset if you ask me.

Weiss is the best player out of the teams that are interested in Luongo that we can get and that works the best cap wise.

This team is being built to have three 20-minute pairings. We don't have any true #1 Dmen and we have about four #2/#3 Dmen instead.

For instance:

Hamhuis-Bieksa (#1 Dzone start option, #3 Ozone)

Edler-Gardiner (#1 Ozone start option #3 Dzone)

Garrison-Tanev (#2 Dzone start option, #2 Ozone)

Didn't say he would get Weiss and Bjugstad- just saying that is what an ideal package would be.

Saying that he is the best player on the Leafs roster - is not much of an accomplishment. Paying $5M a year for a third line centre... will cost you Edler.

Cost me Edler? I don't want him. I want Gardiner and Kadri. I'm just as much as I like him as a player I still don't think its wise adding that kind of salary to the Canucks.

We need some young stud players/prospects. Gardiner is that and Kadri is close to that.

Luongo is a marketing machine. Just look at how much attention he's getting from all of those Toronto media vultures.

The MLSE are business people with shareholders to please, not hockey people. Luongo in Toronto helps increase their revenue, which to them is a smart decision.

I think a deal is being forced through by the owners right now. Which hopefulyl means Gillis gets exactly what he wants.

We are not getting Weiss. And even if we was traded here, he would be a 0.5yr rental. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Stephen Weiss has made it clear — he’s committed to staying in Sunrise.

“I want to end my career with the Panthers,” Weiss told the Miami Herald. “This organization has been very good to me. We’re starting to see brighter days ahead with the kids we have coming up and some of the draft picks we’ve stockpiled.”

Luongo is a marketing machine. Just look at how much attention he's getting from all of those Toronto media vultures.

The MLSE are business people with shareholders to please, not hockey people. Luongo in Toronto helps increase their revenue, which to them is a smart decision.

I think a deal is being forced through by the owners right now. Which hopefulyl means Gillis gets exactly what he wants.

Archived