The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Obviously we have different timelines on Edmonton. I see them making the Chicago jump from 65pts in '05/'06 (Toews draft), 71pts in '06/'07 (Kane draft), to 88pts and barely missing the playoffs in '07/'08. I think this year's Oilers, if they can't capitalize on the shortened season, are where the '07/'08 Blackhawks were. They're missing a Keith Seabrook for sure (might Klefbom be that guy?) and they're missing a David Bolland, but they have their Duncan Keith in Justin Schultz, their Toews in RNH, their Kane in Eberle and I haven't even mentioned Hall and Yakupov.

Edmonton is a lot further along than most are projecting.

Edler is a defensive liability if he's not playing with a shutdown defenseman. Gardiner is also a one-dynamic defenseman. Edler also hasn't redeemed himself from his piss poor performance against the Kings, and if that's the Edler that stays, then well you can put him with Weber and they'd still be a minus most of the time.

Honestly if Kadri was in the deal before I doubt Burke would change his mind on that know, I know Sven brought that up in Ari's thread but I have replied and explained why I think he could be expendable from their standpoint.

Plus they have to give us something right, Kadri's value is kinda waivering so if they aren't going to commit to giving him full time they should trade him while his value is still high, cause you get that with prospects, they can reach a point where they can go from developing and still having upside to being stuck where they are at, and as much as I like Kadri I think he is coming alot closer to that stage in Toronto than say he would be here.

This is what I'm talking about (so many things wrong with this post).

1. Edler had his best season playing with a guy who carries the moniker "Error" and we ended up in the Finals. Not a shutdown guy. Gardiner is more akin to an Ehrhoff than a Willie Mitchell.

2. How is Edler suppose to redeem himself if NHL hockey isn't even being played?

3. Weber, himself, is much like Edler in that he is not this uber shutdown guy. That guy in Nashville was Suter.

They are missing a Seabrook like you say but also Hossa, Campbell, Byfuglien, Burish, Brouwer, Versteeg, Ladd, and on and on and on.

Keith, Toews, Kane are still on the team, you don't see them winning Cups. It takes a lot of depth to win a Cup and EDM is not close by any means.

I do agree the Oil may make the playoffs but are far from wining a Cup.

I'm not sold on Gillis' mentality. Should he really be looking for prospects? Meh, perhaps if he's working on the future of this team.

He should really be looking at Grabovski and Weiss. Yeah, they have hefty salaries, but who cares? Not like its gonna hurt any of our wallets. Get either of them..

Sedin

Kesler

Grabovski/Weiss

Lapierre/Malhotra

That's a very, very solid group of centers.

I'm feeling lazy with the whole cap thing, but i'm pretty sure a 1 for 1 trade would work for both teams in terms of cap?

Whitney can be their Campbell (#3/#4 Dman). Versteeg, sorry but Hall is already better and Hemsky is still there so forget Versteeg. Burish? Dime a dozen. Byfuglien? The guy who destroyed Luongo's crease? They have Ryan Smyth who does that as well as Holmstrom (who's better at it than Buff).

Seabrook, Hossa, Ladd. Those are the three pieces they are currently missing from Cup victory and Ladd will be the hardest find if Klefbom pans out. Incidentily, I said the Oilers are at the 07/08 Blackhawk stage (that could surprise in a shortened season with a Kesler-less Canucks team). Guess who didn't join the Hawks until 2009-2010 (two years later)? Marian Hossa.

That leaves Ladd & Seabrook.

Whitney can be their Campbell (#3/#4 Dman). Versteeg, sorry but Hall is already better and Hemsky is still there so forget Versteeg. Burish? Dime a dozen. Byfuglien? The guy who destroyed Luongo's crease? They have Ryan Smyth who does that as well as Holmstrom (who's better at it than Buff).

Seabrook, Hossa, Ladd. Those are the three pieces they are currently missing from Cup victory and Ladd will be the hardest find if Klefbom pans out. Incidentily, I said the Oilers are at the 07/08 Blackhawk stage (that could surprise in a shortened season with a Kesler-less Canucks team). Guess who didn't join the Hawks until 2009-2010 (two years later)? Marian Hossa.

That leaves Ladd & Seabrook.

Archived