#1231 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Talking heads stop making sense in Roberto Luongo trade speculation

If you’ve been easing yourself back into Canucks coverage, there’s a good possibility you’ve missed something amidst the batcrap insanity that this Roberto Luongo storyline has managed to become. Yes, we’ve only been back since Sunday, but there have already been so manydevelopments in this Snakes-and-Ladders saga that keeping track of everything is next to impossible.
It began the moment the new CBA was announced. Immediately, hockey fans and media washed their hands of that unfortunate diversion and picked right back up where we left off: speculating tirelessly on Roberto Luongo’s next destination. And I do mean tirelessly. We’ve heard a lot about the soon-to-be-announced compressed schedule, but the real story of this week has been the compressed baseless speculation. In what can only be interpreted as a collective bid by the hockey world to make up for lost wasted time, these last five days have been like an episode of American Horror Story: flashbacks; flash forwards; nuns possessed by Satan; Nazi doctors; a murderer that wears a mask made of human skin; Adam Levine; aliens; zombies; a psychotic Santa; a woman that thinks she’s Anne Frank.

All of these things and Tyler Bozak have been rumoured to be part of a package for Luongo.
And then, right when we thought we’d narrowed it down — it was the Maple Leafs for sure, and simply a matter of what Brian Burke would give up — the entire story changed Wednesday. First, Brian Burke was fired and replaced by Dave “The Luongo Getter” Nonis, in what can only be described as a flabbergasting move. Seriously, not a flabber went ungasted. And then, just when we thought things couldn’t possibly get any more bizarre, the Philadelphia Flyers tossed their insane hat into the ring.
That’s right. No one knows crazy like Flyers’ GM Paul Holmgren, and the moment he sniffed it in this clownshow, he decided daddy wants a taste. Nevermind that he already has a kooky goalie signed for an eternity. You can never have too many of those.
Enrico Ciccone was the first to announce Philadelphia’s interest, but his name sounds like a WCW wrestler, so it wasn’t until James Duthie corroborated the report that, suddenly, this fever dream became real.

Adrian Dater later corroborated James Duthie’s corroboration.

Shortly after this, Paul Holmgren denied the twice-corroborated report. “”That made me chuckle,” Holmgren said to Frank Severalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “It’s safe to say those rumors aren’t true. They have no basis or merit.” But folks were quick to point out that Holmgrenoccasionally eschews the truth. And I would be quick to point out that the man is beyond impulsive. Maybe these rumours had no basis or merit… until the Philadelphia Daily News suggested it to him. In my mind, as soon as he hung up on Frank Severalli, Holmgren stroked his chin, then speed-dialed Mike Gillis.
Okay, so it’s the Flyers and the Maple Leafs. Oh, or a third team.

Amazing to think that, a day ago, some insiders were speculating that Roberto Luongo might get bought out. Now everyone wants him, maybe?
In any case, here’s what we know after five days back in the saddle with this nonsense: nothing. Maybe the Leafs are still the front-runner, but maybe they aren’t. Maybe they weren’t before, but they are now. Maybe the Flyers are interested. Maybe some other teams are.
What a clustercuss. Alex Jones thinks this deal needs to settle down.
But it could be worse. You think it’s confusing for you or for us? Imagine being Roberto Luongo, who isn’t just watching hockey’s version of that absurd moment where Willy Wonka terrorizes everyone along the chocolate river of goodness. He’s in the boat.

At this point, there’s simply no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going.
Meanwhile, in other Canucks’ goalie news on Wednesday, Cory Schneider wore an interesting hat.

#1232 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

@SportsnetSpec: @SportsnetSpec: Why Brian Burke was fired. @strombone1 My column: http://t.co/2qOzj0T2

@Michael_Traikos: #Leafs Nonis to Hockey Central on trading Gardiner or Rielly: "We would only move a young playuer for another young player." #Luongo

“@TEAM1040: Gilman: Luongo is in Vancouver and expectation is that he'll be at camp.”

Edited by Noheart, 10 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1233 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Buy him out. That buyout cheque is chump change for their owner.

didnt he sign a 9 yr deal?.. That has got to be at least 30 million. Snider may have the money but im sure he would tell Holmgren to move him or deal with it.

#1234 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Buy him out. That buyout cheque is chump change for their owner.

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on these boards. Now getting to the topic at hand, I don't think Philly has the capspace to buy Bryz out, and take Luongo on? I can't remember what portion of the buyout stays on the cap, but Bryz's contract is pretty huge, so there would still be a large chunk of capspace taken up. If they were to wait for the amnesty, well I don't think they'd have the cap to have both Luongo and Bryz on the team until then, and if the plan is to wait until the summer, buyout Bryz, and then get Luongo... well I'm pretty sure Luo will be gone before they get the chance to do that.

I'd love for Philly to somehow pull it off, as they have more attractive pieces, but I just can't see how they could manage it?

#1235 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Philly is not buying out Bryz or trading him to Toronto. If Nonis has the same philosophy as Burke then no way in hell is he going to take on a prima donna Russian and his terrible contract
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#1236 Templeton Peck

Templeton Peck

Faceman

• Super Moderators
  • 6,045 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I have to delete like 10+ posts a day from the other thread, I'm starting to miss the lockout already.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please read the Board Rules.

#1237 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have to delete like 10+ posts a day from the other thread, I'm starting to miss the lockout already.

I love you
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1238 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

ha, I was about to suggest you change the title of the other thread to NEWS ONLY, but I see you've done that already!

#1239 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Anyone wonder if the Flyers would trade Luongo for Bryzgalov++ ?
Maybe something like Luongo for Bryzgalov + Courtier +prospect or pick?

Van would but out the Bryzgalov contract after the season? I think the buyout is around 23m

#1240 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

crap happens ppl make mistakes, thanks for deleting my post in wrong section, although woulda been nice to have it moved into here...

#1241 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I heard that TO wants Lu to sign a 10 year extension before trading for him! It only makes sense that he would!

#1242 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Anyone wonder if the Flyers would trade Luongo for Bryzgalov++ ?
Maybe something like Luongo for Bryzgalov + Courtier +prospect or pick?

Van would but out the Bryzgalov contract after the season? I think the buyout is around 23m

wouldnt be worth it from an owners perspective.. basically luongo and 23 million dollars for a kid they dont know how good he will be. i could only see a team forking out that kind of cash for the next crosby. Like mcdavid maybe, but whoever gets him would never trade him

#1243 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I heard that TO wants Lu to sign a 10 year extension before trading for him! It only makes sense that he would!

lol just so nonis can go "WHATS UP NOWWW BURKE!!!" with his arms out and best gangster face on

#1244 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

You kinda went into an array of points & subjects there, but now that I am using a computer and not my Iphone I'll address them.

I certainly don't call Luongo "expendable". Disgruntled yes but "expendable"? No. You don't give a rookie a repeat President's Trophy team with a closing window to a Stanley Cup, akin to giving a Ferrari 360 Mondena to a 16 year old; he'll crash it faster than you can pay for it.

Yes he is expendable, we have another goalie, he isn't a need for us to keep him here, the emergence of Cory has made him an expendable asset that we can use to address needs, at the same token he is a highly valuable asset so we need to make sure we spend it wisely, that's reality of the situation regardless of whether you want to admit it or not.

The coach is to blame on that one. And that's if there if blame to be had outside of an utter lack of effort against the Kings; the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

I agree, both Lu and Schneids were fantastic, I don't think AV got our team mentally prepared, and strategicly took too long to make neccisary changes, Av is the main reason our team was so poor, no argument here.

As for Boston, the entire world was for Boston, even our own National Television outlet CBC turned out to be in favor of Boston, as well as most Vancouver media outlets. They who were not in favor of Boston to win, we're not shy of letting their skeptical opinion known on the matter. Hell most Vancouver media personalities aren't even from Vancouver and they're supposed to rally the troops for the win?

The Canucks didn't help themselves either with late hits, embellishment, finger biting, walking into a fully gelled house of hate and coming back out with a broken back. To me, the series was lost when Rome got suswnded for a hit as equally devastating as the Brown on Henrik hit, then with Alberts having to knock on the penalty door to get in and then again confirmed after Daniel was bitch slapped by a tweeter rookie protected by some of the biggest bulls on the market.

I think CBC get's alot of unfair criticism I think they do an outstanding job presenting the games the way they do and were actually in favor of us, but they have to try to be as non-biased as possible. Even then I felt they still were slightly in our favor, as for Vancouver media outlets, I think most of the criticism was fair, we played like crap more often than not in the series and if you are too sensitive to admit it or face the reality that it was the case (Not saying that to u particularly but just in general) then don't listen.

I think the series was lost when we were unable to stop the momentum, they got a ton of momentum from that, I just think AV should have done a better job getting us ready to play in Boston, that cripped by the injuries and inconsistent play from our team, aswell as the amazing way they played defensively was too much.

As for Marchand someone should have kicked his ass, Ballard tried to one time and I commend him for it but McQuaid got in the way, someone should have kicked the crap out of him for punching danny like that though, at the very least there should have been a penalty called.

Blame Luongo? No! Get him a god damned nasty crease clearing 1D FFS and get the team some much needed toughness and secondary scoring.

The mentality of all for one and one for all MUST be there. It was there for Chicago, it was there for Boston and it definitely was there for L.A.

I think Luongo willingly giving the go ahead to open the door for a trade is more telling than the actual event; the wheels have fallen off the wagon in Vancouver from the net up.

We need pieces no doubt but it's replective of where our team is, it is reflective of where his connection with the media and fans is aswell as how great Cory is.

Luongo is a great teammate, can't say enough good things but to me from his perspective his time here is just done, our team is still good and when healthy I think we have most of our holes filled but Luongo is just not as vital to this team anymore and it is better for him to go and I think it is what's best aswell.

If it went as it should, Hodgson would be playing 2C this year. But no. Kesler's pride came before the team. Now the Canucks have to go fish not only for a 3C but also a 2C and that is until Kesler comes back and takes his position by right at 2C? I don't think so. AV is also not the most agile media magician, he also has had many blunders that have hurt the team.

"Kesler's pride came before the team" :lol:

Cody's issue's came before the team is more like it, he didn't want to be here and would have gotten moved either way, regardless of if we had made the trade at the deadline or not, how anyone thinks he could have been here long term is beyond me, he isn't as good as Kesler or Henrik and wouldn't beat out either of them ever. Didn't want to be here so we moved him and addressed a major need, as you talk about adding toughness and that one for all mentality, and Zack will be a more influential play for us moving forward.

You have to blame Cody for the situation as much as you blame the team, look at Nazem Kadri for example (not to turn this in a debate about him and getting BTM throwing his computer out the window), but he has been jerked around just as much if not more so there than Cody ever was here, and he hasn't asked for a trade, people question his character yet he continues to battle through it all and take all the criticism for not and be a great spot about it. Something Cody wasn't here, and he is praised for his character.

To me, Luongo is more than just a trade. It is the story of a franchise in disarray.

One way to calm down this entire fiasco is to trade Schneider for much needed help in front of the net, in scoring and/or toughness. I would certainly take the chance of winning a Cup with a known goaltender and the extra help, than a fresh rookie with 70 games experience.

It just makes absolutely no sense whatever.

To say Luongo is worth close to nothing, giving up on him like that, the season hasn't even started, the CBA is still pending ratification from the NHLPA and the media frenzy is already growing, now including "surprise" Philly. Well SURPRISE! It's Luongo we're talking about here. That's how much he's worth around the league. Only Vancouver fans don't get it.

Actually trading Schneider & keeping Luongo would only make the fiasco worse, and if we did trade Schneider for a star forward of some kind if we get that we can kiss Edler goodbye, who is a much bigger need to this team.

Luongo has had his shot at the cup, and he failed, not all his fault but he has had his chance, Schneider isn't a rookie and has been tested in those same situations multipule times and has come through will flying colours everytime, he is as calm as they come, is already a great goaltender and is still getting better.

I'm not saying Luongo won't get us nothing but when you consider the circumstances there is just no chance we will get full value, I still think the return is will be worthwhile, Gillis won't allow it not to be if he is moved this year.

And you also contradict yourself by saying we should trade Schneider for much needed help upfront rather than Luongo, then you say Luongo's value is very very high, if that's the case why not trade Luongo for that top help upfront?

Luongo's time is done, I am a huge fan of Lu but the sooner you accept reality that Schneider is our guy going forward, the easier it will be to deal with.

zackass.png

#1245 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

is there a way to just let 5-10 specific users post in it? then you could just allow the 10 best hockey news scavengers post in it and everyone else can post news they find in here.

or maybe change the title so it doesnt look so similar. i know ive accidentally posted thinking i was in the other one. Giant caps "LU RUMORS NO COMMENTS"

i agree its kind of annoying thinking theres news only to find "you guys are idiots, weiss is way better than bozak"

#1246 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Schneider has his coach to mentor him, Rollie has more than enough experience, understands Schneider's game tobe able to support and fix things. Another goalie is NOT the right mentor.

OK

#1247 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,297 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Conversely, you and many other frustrated fans might be surprised to see a close to 50-50 share of the goaltending duties for a whole season between Luongo and Schneider. Are you ready for that one?

I'm ready if you agree to zip it once Lou gets traded.

Somehow I'm pretty sure that will be the final straw and you'll wander around hastings for the rest of your days talking about how Luongo is the starting goalie of the Canucks.

Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo

It'll be 2058 and you'll be asking a park bench if he saw Luongo's shutout last night.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#1248 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I guess I just have to put exclamation marks on all of my posts while blindly walking the valley of shadows with homer glasses on?

In this case as with many others, fans do dictate how a franchise does by their mass behavior. In this case, the loud GTFO's toward Luongo via media is forcing Gillis' hand. Just listen to Team 1040 for one night and you'll see little b!tch fans running their mouths like little vindictive girls after a bad one night stand; for 6 HOURS! I stopped listening to the after hours talk because all it is is fans bitching and the media bitching and it becomes a mass bitchfest. If I want a bitchfest, I'll go to an orgy. If I want to listen to hockey, I certainly expect hockey.

So the fans and the media do influence decision making quite a bit.

How about booing your goaltender when he needs fans most?

yur sick !

#1249 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,497 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on these boards. Now getting to the topic at hand, I don't think Philly has the capspace to buy Bryz out, and take Luongo on? I can't remember what portion of the buyout stays on the cap, but Bryz's contract is pretty huge, so there would still be a large chunk of capspace taken up. If they were to wait for the amnesty, well I don't think they'd have the cap to have both Luongo and Bryz on the team until then, and if the plan is to wait until the summer, buyout Bryz, and then get Luongo... well I'm pretty sure Luo will be gone before they get the chance to do that.

I'd love for Philly to somehow pull it off, as they have more attractive pieces, but I just can't see how they could manage it?

They will trade cap space for Luongo. If Gillis doesn't want salary, they'll still be able to clear salary through other deals.

Edited by playboi19, 10 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#1250 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Do you guys think Philly would give us Voracek for Lu?

Probably not.

#1251 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

apparently the twitterverse is all a flutter that Sean Couturier might be involved...

"Twitterverse" = hopeful Canuck fans.

Sean Couturier will not be traded.

#1252 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Philly matches up better than Toronto for a trade for Louongo, just better young talent at more positions for the Canucks. Coutier or B.Schenn being the perfect fit for the Canucks and Holmgren is the type of GM to do it. Snider is filty rich and bying out Bryz is nothig to him. Lou makes the Fyers instant cup contenders in the east in a compressed season with little or no travel or time zones unlike the west. This rumour puts serious pressure on Toronto and Flotida to up the ante.

The buyout couldn't happen until the off-season, anyway, so Philly would then have nearly $12M allocated to their goaltenders (don't forget that Leighton is also currently signed) for the remainder of this season.

Do you think that's likely?

Philly's not realistically part of this equation until something is done with Bryz first.

#1253 One X

One X

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

The buyout couldn't happen until the off-season, anyway, so Philly would then have nearly $12M allocated to their goaltenders (don't forget that Leighton is also currently signed) for the remainder of this season.

Do you think that's likely?

Philly's not realistically part of this equation until something is done with Bryz first.

I am not saying it will happen, in fact I don't believe it will either. But I wouldn't dismiss the idea of Leighton coming back the other way.
It may seem strange but lets face it, Philly has always been a bit of an out there team in regards to trades and signings. Not many believed Richards would actually be traded, but he was. I don't think it will happen but who knows with Philly.

Posted Image
Thanks for Canazzy for the Awesome Sig

#1254 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

By that rationale, Kesler should be traded for the demise of both Umberger and Hodgson.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Kesler traded.

Where there's smoke, there's fire, and there pretty clearly is a strained relationship between Kesler/Overhardt/AV/Canucks. Really, ever since AV made that "not using his wingers" comment.

#1255 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

"Twitterverse" = hopeful Canuck fans

Twitterverse: another name for Twitter, where people "tweet." - not just 'hopeful Canuck fans.'

Philly is unrealistic unless Bryz somehow disappears, but all of these rumors could be truthful or completely fake. None will be proven right or wrong until Luongo is dealt.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#1256 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

That is such a moronic statement. 5 years ago luongo was arguably the best goalie in the world. He was in his prime, carried a team with no depth. He was phenomenal. Clouts was not comparable. To think Schneider is not the better option on all levels shows your knowledge is just not there. Time to start feeling bad for him and realize who the better goalie is.

Funny how personal opinion from on party becomes grounds for insult on intelectual capability.

You're being the moron in this case and the poster you answered to is right. Does it work? Sid you get angry?

Opinion.

#1257 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Somehow I'm pretty sure that will be the final straw and you'll wander around hastings for the rest of your days talking about how Luongo is the starting goalie of the Canucks.

Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo

It'll be 2058 and you'll be asking a park bench if he saw Luongo's shutout last night.

LOL

#1258 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo
Luongooooooooooooooooooo

Actually, this lockout permitted me to do many things I had delayed in my life and I don't think ill be following this team or hockey any longer. Three hours three times a week for months, even years, have added up to lots of entertainment at the cost of many other aspects.

Trading Luongo or not is really, in the grand scheme of things, entirely irrelevant.

#1259 gaydar

gaydar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

POPULAR

Actually, this lockout permitted me to do many things I had delayed in my life and I don't think ill be following this team or hockey any longer. Three hours three times a week for months, even years, have added up to lots of entertainment at the cost of many other aspects.

Trading Luongo or not is really, in the grand scheme of things, entirely irrelevant.

You're not going to follow the Canucks or hockey even, yet you are still posting on a message board about the Canucks quite frequently. Yeah okay bud.

#1260 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

So, with the CBA vote ending at 5am pt, does that signal the opening green light for player movement?

Edited by gizmo2337, 10 January 2013 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.