The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

The problem with Luongo is the problem that we will have with Schneider. Our D isn't built to be pinned in their zone. They are offensive minded, and have given up on defensive play. We are a breakout, D pinching team. Our D aren't the fastest or most mobile. And they aren't tough. When we get pinned in our zone, other teams started to hammer shots down low on Luongo. Something that every team does on good goalies. And our D is not suited to do this. They lose the rebound battles. Chicago and Boston ate Luongo alive with the same strategy more or less. And it's likely the same thing will apply to Schneider.

Teams take advantage of our more offensive minded D, and the lack of size and grit to put them off of crowding in front. Unless THAT changes, it's going to be amusing people going DERPDERP WHAT HAPPENED TO SCHNEIDER DERPDERP.

Our defense is not goalie friendly. The best goalies in the league right now? Bostom collapses on Thomas and clears the front. Nashville collapses on Rinne. LA collapses on Quick. Boston has Chara and Seidenberg. Nashville has Weber and had Suter. Chicago had Seabrook and Keith to protect their goalies.

Remember when people LOVED Mason and Leclaire when they were on CBJ and Hitchcock was there? Well.. Hitchcock left, and both of them suck now. He went up to St. Louis. Surprise. Elliot and Halak are godly duo. But wait.. Halak was good in Montreal too on that playoff run.. but remember what Montreal did? They collapsed like frack and tried to block every shot ever that run.

Remember the first year Luongo was here? Canucks collapsed and played like the trap, but we couldn't score for crap.. but what happened? Luongo was nominated for the vezina and the HART TROPHY. Something which a lot of people thought he should've won.

(I still remember the first time Luongo went down with that injury for like a quarter of a season and people thought Sanford and Schneider would be fine.. then we went like .250 hockey the whole time. Lol.)

This is all highlighted and magnified by the simple fact that Canucks have a crapty playoff offense and we end up having to play all the teams that grind it out and battle in front.. battles that we generally lose.

I don't think it matters personally if we keep Schneider or Luongo, they haven't been the problem. I'm not holding my breathe for this season on top of that, because we don't have Kesler and he won't be healthy, and Edler is coming off back surgery and Garrison is a question mark who has to gel with the system. We are prepped for a pretty awful start offensively and defensively.

Interesting what they were talking about with Florida, I wouldn't mind getting Weiss as a rental (Cause I doubt we would re-sign him if unless we have the cap space after Edler is signed which is priority #1)

But imagine something like:

Weiss, Petrovic, then maybe a Conditional 1st/2nd round pick if Weiss doesn't re-sign? or another prospect?

Interesting what they were talking about with Florida, I wouldn't mind getting Weiss as a rental (Cause I doubt we would re-sign him if unless we have the cap space after Edler is signed which is priority #1)

But imagine something like:

Weiss, Petrovic, then maybe a Conditional 1st/2nd round pick if Weiss doesn't re-sign? or another prospect?

The problem with Luongo is the problem that we will have with Schneider. Our D isn't built to be pinned in their zone. They are offensive minded, and have given up on defensive play. We are a breakout, D pinching team. Our D aren't the fastest or most mobile. And they aren't tough. When we get pinned in our zone, other teams started to hammer shots down low on Luongo. Something that every team does on good goalies. And our D is not suited to do this. They lose the rebound battles. Chicago and Boston ate Luongo alive with the same strategy more or less. And it's likely the same thing will apply to Schneider.

Teams take advantage of our more offensive minded D, and the lack of size and grit to put them off of crowding in front. Unless THAT changes, it's going to be amusing people going DERPDERP WHAT HAPPENED TO SCHNEIDER DERPDERP.

Our defense is not goalie friendly. The best goalies in the league right now? Bostom collapses on Thomas and clears the front. Nashville collapses on Rinne. LA collapses on Quick. Boston has Chara and Seidenberg. Nashville has Weber and had Suter. Chicago had Seabrook and Keith to protect their goalies.

Remember when people LOVED Mason and Leclaire when they were on CBJ and Hitchcock was there? Well.. Hitchcock left, and both of them suck now. He went up to St. Louis. Surprise. Elliot and Halak are godly duo. But wait.. Halak was good in Montreal too on that playoff run.. but remember what Montreal did? They collapsed like frack and tried to block every shot ever that run.

Remember the first year Luongo was here? Canucks collapsed and played like the trap, but we couldn't score for crap.. but what happened? Luongo was nominated for the vezina and the HART TROPHY. Something which a lot of people thought he should've won.

(I still remember the first time Luongo went down with that injury for like a quarter of a season and people thought Sanford and Schneider would be fine.. then we went like .250 hockey the whole time. Lol.)

This is all highlighted and magnified by the simple fact that Canucks have a crapty playoff offense and we end up having to play all the teams that grind it out and battle in front.. battles that we generally lose.

I don't think it matters personally if we keep Schneider or Luongo, they haven't been the problem. I'm not holding my breathe for this season on top of that, because we don't have Kesler and he won't be healthy, and Edler is coming off back surgery and Garrison is a question mark who has to gel with the system. We are prepped for a pretty awful start offensively and defensively.

Good post! I think Lu was disliked by some media in Van because he challeneged their understanding of the game. He refused to accept all responsibility for letting goals in when his d-core broke down. It was no dif when Cloutier was left out to hand many nights. 'Run & Gun' works well during the season but CUP contending d-cores usually find a way of shutting that type of offence down.

tsn did a couple segments on luongo today and they named three realistic suitors that were interested.

1) Toronto - the team everyone knows wants lu. i dont buy that a deal is already made but i do believe that burke has pitched his best offer pending that nobody else ups the price. right now the offer is proably some combination of bozak, fransons rights, kadri, a B-level prospect, and a 1st or 2nd round pick

2) Florida - lu's prefered destination. we all know whats going on here, florida wants to aquire lu but the asking price is too high for them. after all this time gillis is still being firm with tallon that A-level prospect Nick Bjugstad must be part of the deal. right now the package that florida would have to send to get a deal done would have to include either stephen weiss or shawn matthais and of course nick bjjugstad. tallon has no problem trading matthais or weiss, bjugstad is the peice he refuses to let go of. gillis would have to send schorder, a roster player, and a pick along wih lu back to florida to make a trade a realisitc possibility

3) Edmonton - came into the picture right before the CBA expired. the only way this trade happens is if edmonton severly overpays and i dont see that happening. a fair trade would likley send paarvi, 1st, and jones. howerver a fair trade is not going to get it done, seeing as edmonton is a divisional opponent.

tsn did a couple segments on luongo today and they named three realistic suitors that were interested.

1) Toronto - the team everyone knows wants lu. i dont buy that a deal is already made but i do believe that burke has pitched his best offer pending that nobody else ups the price. right now the offer is proably some combination of bozak, fransons rights, kadri, a B-level prospect, and a 1st or 2nd round pick

2) Florida - lu's prefered destination. we all know whats going on here, florida wants to aquire lu but the asking price is too high for them. after all this time gillis is still being firm with tallon that A-level prospect Nick Bjugstad must be part of the deal. right now the package that florida would have to send to get a deal done would have to include either stephen weiss or shawn matthais and of course nick bjjugstad. tallon has no problem trading matthais or weiss, bjugstad is the peice he refuses to let go of. gillis would have to send schorder, a roster player, and a pick along wih lu back to florida to make a trade a realisitc possibility

3) Edmonton - came into the picture right before the CBA expired. the only way this trade happens is if edmonton severly overpays and i dont see that happening. a fair trade would likley send paarvi, 1st, and jones. howerver a fair trade is not going to get it done, seeing as edmonton is a divisional opponent.

Archived