3455 replies to this topic

#1591 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Couturier for Luongo would be sick.. This would be the best trade Gillis ever made.

#1592 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

At least King is the only one here who agrees that Weiss is the missing piece to our team. While Couturier, Gardiner, Schenn, Huberdeau would all be nice for the future, it's really just a pipe dream to believe that an aging on the decline goalie on a terrible contract can get us a future franchise player.

I agree with this, Couturier, Gardiner, Schenn, exc. Are off limits to us.

Of all the pieces potentially on the table from all the teams, I think Weiss is the best (Aside from the fact he is a Pending UFA) He would be the missing piece to our 2nd line IMO.

zackass.png

#1593 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I agree with this, Couturier, Gardiner, Schenn, exc. Are off limits to us.

Of all the pieces potentially on the table from all the teams, I think Weiss is the best (Aside from the fact he is a Pending UFA) He would be the missing piece to our 2nd line IMO.

I agree, sadly Florida would want a top six centerman back.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#1594 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

You think?

I think Fleischmann could replace Weiss (He was on the 1st as the LW) Then Mueller or Huberdeau could pick up 2nd line duties, and they get something in return that could help in another area to compensate for that loss in offense.

zackass.png

#1595 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

K we will send them kesler also but they have to give us an all star goalie too

#1596 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

You think?

I think Fleischmann could replace Weiss (He was on the 1st as the LW) Then Mueller or Huberdeau could pick up 2nd line duties, and they get something in return that could help in another area to compensate for that loss in offense.

True, I just think they would rather have a 1C and trade away other assets. But a deal of Luongo for Weiss and Clemmensen would be awesome for us.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#1597 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

At least King is the only one here who agrees that Weiss is the missing piece to our team. While Couturier, Gardiner, Schenn, Huberdeau would all be nice for the future, it's really just a pipe dream to believe that an aging on the decline goalie on a terrible contract can get us a future franchise player.

I never said that. I said that he's the obvious target if we're orchestrating a deal with Florida. He's not a guy that I'm very high on, actually, but the reality is that if this team wants to call itself a Cup contender, you cannot trot out Jordan Schroeder or Max Lapierre to start on the second line until Kesler's back - which, for all we know, could be a long ways away.

#1598 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

players ratified agreement. I expect some action on the trade and signing fronts. If not Luongo trade then others.

#1599 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Lol Couturier, Simmonds and Coburn for Luongo? You sir mr. Oldnews have been watching way to much batman lately because that is bat$#*+ crazy. If we could get just Couturier for Luongo, I would take it and run.

You should check your sources - both of you appear to have taken too many...
And Weiss is the missing piece? Schenn and Gardiner are future franchise players? Definitely new news to me.

I get a kick out of the armchairs here who think they know all the players that are and aren't on the table.
Anyone can be hockeyyyyinnnssssssidderrrrrrrr!!!!

Edited by oldnews, 12 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#1600 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

K we will send them kesler also but they have to give us an all star goalie too

You missed the point. I am trying to say that after Weiss, they do not have someone who they know can fill their 1C role.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#1601 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

True, I just think they would rather have a 1C and trade away other assets. But a deal of Luongo for Weiss and Clemmensen would be awesome for us.

Yeah, I agree but they don't seem to being willing to part with other assets that are worthwhile.

players ratified agreement. I expect some action on the trade and signing fronts. If not Luongo trade then others.

Same, I don't expect the Luongo deal to be the only one we make this year (If we make it)

zackass.png

#1602 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

You missed the point. I am trying to say that after Weiss, they do not have someone who they know can fill their 1C role.

I know I already mentioned this and not to be too persistent but, Flesichmann is a C/LW so he can play center and he had more points than Weiss last year so I think they do have someone who could fill that role.

zackass.png

#1603 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

You think?

Because any winger can be converted into a center overnight...right.
Fleischmann is not a center/winger - he's a winger.

Edited by oldnews, 12 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#1604 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Oh no, I "ran down" Lapierre. Were your feelings hurt? He is a Canuck, after all. Fact is that he takes a lot of stupid penalties, which means that his ice-time needs to be limited.

And you're now calling Hodgson a floater? :lol: OK. Did his "Hardest Working Player" award, as voted by the OHL coaches, tell you that one? With Goc, fact is that he was a 20th overall pick that really hasn't ever amounted to anything. He's basically just a body - kinda like what Sami Pahlsson was, who you inexplicably think had such an effective run as a Canuck, so I guess it's not surprising that you're interested. Bring up all the obscure, meaningless stats that you can to try and validate your claim, fact is that Marcel Goc would not have a material impact on this team. Can I make a guess and assume that you were also in favor of the Marco Sturm signing, when it happened? How was his CORSI score?

As for Weiss, sure, he's their top C, but it's also widely known that negotiations aren't going well between the two. To make sure that another Bouwmeester doesn't happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved. The chance of Weiss being a Panther for the 2013-14 season, anyway, and beyond, is probably low, so it becomes logical for them to trade him. And besides, they've got the great Nick Bjugstad in their system, so who the heck needs Stephen Weiss?

:bigblush:

Oh no, I "ran down" Lapierre. Were your feelings hurt? He is a Canuck, after all. Fact is that he takes a lot of stupid penalties, which means that his ice-time needs to be limited.

And you're now calling Hodgson a floater? :lol: OK. Did his "Hardest Working Player" award, as voted by the OHL coaches, tell you that one? With Goc, fact is that he was a 20th overall pick that really hasn't ever amounted to anything. He's basically just a body - kinda like what Sami Pahlsson was, who you inexplicably think had such an effective run as a Canuck, so I guess it's not surprising that you're interested. Bring up all the obscure, meaningless stats that you can to try and validate your claim, fact is that Marcel Goc would not have a material impact on this team. Can I make a guess and assume that you were also in favor of the Marco Sturm signing, when it happened? How was his CORSI score?

As for Weiss, sure, he's their top C, but it's also widely known that negotiations aren't going well between the two. To make sure that another Bouwmeester doesn't happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved. The chance of Weiss being a Panther for the 2013-14 season, anyway, and beyond, is probably low, so it becomes logical for them to trade him. And besides, they've got the great Nick Bjugstad in their system, so who the heck needs Stephen Weiss?

Your opinion of Lapierre is a bit off. Think about this: what's the difference between him and Tyler Bozak? Without looking at the stats, I bet you Bozak played a significant amount more than Lapierre last year due to injuries and a lack of depth at center in TO.
I'll admit, Bozak would slot into that #2 slot nicely while Kesler is out but is he really worth being the main piece in a Luongo deal? I know we're shooting for the moon and hoping for Jake Gardiner, but that still leaves a hole at C.
Max Lapierre performed way above expectations last year, especially when he played in the top 6 and I think he should be the guy that steps into the top 6 while Kesler is out. From what I've read, he's been working out harder than ever this offseason and has put on some muscle to show. Coupled with last season, he has done nothing but show that he is ready for the challenge.

I still can't believe we got him and Higgins for a couple 3rd rd picks and change!

#1605 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Your opinion of Lapierre is a bit off. Think about this: what's the difference between him and Tyler Bozak? Without looking at the stats, I bet you Bozak played a significant amount more than Lapierre last year due to injuries and a lack of depth at center in TO.
I'll admit, Bozak would slot into that #2 slot nicely while Kesler is out but is he really worth being the main piece in a Luongo deal? I know we're shooting for the moon and hoping for Jake Gardiner, but that still leaves a hole at C.
Max Lapierre performed way above expectations last year, especially when he played in the top 6 and I think he should be the guy that steps into the top 6 while Kesler is out. From what I've read, he's been working out harder than ever this offseason and has put on some muscle to show. Coupled with last season, he has done nothing but show that he is ready for the challenge.

I still can't believe we got him and Higgins for a couple 3rd rd picks and change!

#1606 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I get that, but it doesn't have to come from us. I don't even want Weiss. I'm just saying a world class goalie for a 2nd line center as the centerpiece is pretty good.

If either Florida or Toronto trade for him with the main piece being a roster player instead of really good prospect they are going to leave a major hole in their line up. They aren't built with tons of depth.

#1607 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've had a very firm position this whole time - you pretty clearly just have difficulties comprehending it.

It's actually quite simple; the Canucks should've traded Schneider while his value was sky-high, ideally after the 2010-11 Cup run. We could've gotten back something of great value from a whole lot of teams - Schneider has no NTC.

Since Gillis made the wrong move by doing nothing, we've been backed into a position where we're being forced to move Roberto Luongo. Two negatives there:

• Being "forced" to sell something immediately reduces your bargaining position
  • Lots of constraints around Luongo: NTC, old, expensive, signed until 2022.
All of these things reduce our bargaining position. Have I ever said that Luongo's not any good? NO! My entire issue with this thing is that Gillis got too greedy with his two goaltenders, and we're now selling a good asset in Luongo with very little leverage in a weak market. Schneider would've gotten us a lot more in return and it's debatable as to who the better goaltender is, at this point.

Understand yet? Or do you need pictures/diagrams?

I've had a very firm position this whole time - you pretty clearly just have difficulties comprehending it.

It's actually quite simple; the Canucks should've traded Schneider while his value was sky-high, ideally after the 2010-11 Cup run. We could've gotten back something of great value from a whole lot of teams - Schneider has no NTC.

Since Gillis made the wrong move by doing nothing, we've been backed into a position where we're being forced to move Roberto Luongo. Two negatives there:

• Being "forced" to sell something immediately reduces your bargaining position
  • Lots of constraints around Luongo: NTC, old, expensive, signed until 2022.
All of these things reduce our bargaining position. Have I ever said that Luongo's not any good? NO! My entire issue with this thing is that Gillis got too greedy with his two goaltenders, and we're now selling a good asset in Luongo with very little leverage in a weak market. Schneider would've gotten us a lot more in return and it's debatable as to who the better goaltender is, at this point.

Understand yet? Or do you need pictures/diagrams?

OK, I was nice to you in my last post but WTF? We should have traded Schneider? Dude...Schneider will be a top 10 NHL goalie after this season...mark my words. I'm sure glad you aren't GM of the Canucks.

In fact, please remove King from your name and replace it with peasant. That would be more appropriate.

#1608 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

ASSETS: Has excellent offensive instincts, setup ability and an understanding of what to do with the puck on his stick. Is silky smooth, crafty and has a sneaky-good, accurate wrister. Can play both wing and center.

http://forecaster.th...player.cgi?3081

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 12 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

zackass.png

#1609 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wasn't he a center on the caps?
Posted Image

#1610 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

OK, I was nice to you in my last post but WTF? We should have traded Schneider? Dude...Schneider will be a top 10 NHL goalie after this season...mark my words. I'm sure glad you aren't GM of the Canucks.

In fact, please remove King from your name and replace it with peasant. That would be more appropriate.

Its only debatable by King and a few Luongo diehards as to who is the better goalie at this point. Of course King carries the day because he knows everything. This isn;t even a Luongo thread anymore...its King's playground and most buy into his need for attention.

#1611 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Just curious, king, what does the ES stand for?

#1612 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

the rumours are already well under way King, without your go-ahead.

p.s. "probably absolutely" is pretty faulty logic King.

"60% of the time he's right all the time" hahahaha

#1613 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Just curious, king, what does the ES stand for?

It ain;t Extra Special !!!!

#1614 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,626 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

You should check your sources - both of you appear to have taken too many...
And Weiss is the missing piece? Schenn and Gardiner are future franchise players? Definitely new news to me.

I get a kick out of the armchairs here who think they know all the players that are and aren't on the table.
Anyone can be hockeyyyyinnnssssssidderrrrrrrr!!!!

And you think an aging goalie on the decline can get us a top 6 forward, top 2 d-man and top prospect with 1st line potential. It's laughable really.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#1615 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

[/size][/font][/size][/background][/size][/font][/color]

http://forecaster.th...player.cgi?3081

You missed part of the quote, from the lone source that would try to pretend Fleischmann is a winger/center.

"His play without the puck, as well as his face-off skills (if he plays center) are generally lacking."
Same source.

Is a winger, was a winger before making the NHL, and will remain a winger.

#1616 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

And you think an aging goalie on the decline can get us a top 6 forward, top 2 d-man and top prospect with 1st line potential. It's laughable really.

Again - check your source and get back to me with comments about the actual proposal - quoting King's misquote is a waste of time.

Edited by oldnews, 12 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#1617 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Its only debatable by King and a few Luongo diehards as to who is the better goalie at this point. Of course King carries the day because he knows everything. This isn;t even a Luongo thread anymore...its King's playground and most buy into his need for attention.

If it's so obvious that Schneider is the better goaltender, why wasn't he the starter for the whole season? Or did it just become obvious after Game 2 of the first round?

And to whoever asked - "ES" relates to E-Mini S&P. I am a futures trader.

#1618 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

You missed part of the quote, from the lone source that would try to pretend Fleischmann is a winger/center.

"His play without the puck, as well as his face-off skills (if he plays center) are generally lacking."
Same source.

Is a winger, was a winger before making the NHL, and will remain a winger.

:lol: I knew you were going to say this, I was just waiting.

So Cody Hodgson isn't great on faceoffs, does that mean he isn't a center? Jordan Schroeder isn't great on faceoffs, does that mean he isn't a center?

Center is more about positioning than faceoffs (though faceoffs are still important) Your reaching for something to backup your argument. Fleischmann is perfectly capable of playing center, he has in Colorado and Washington, He was converted to LW after the Booth trade to fill Booth's spot.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 12 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

zackass.png

#1619 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

It ain;t Extra Special !!!!

East Side would be the most obvious guess, but the fact he loves finesse players with no grit, and skims scoring stats for his favorites would make me think there's got to be another answer to this acronym.

#1620 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

If it's so obvious that Schneider is the better goaltender, why wasn't he the starter for the whole season? Or did it just become.

AHA!! The guy you call the "backup" with no value is in your opinion the true starter hahaha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.