The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

They would have to trade him or waive him.

Or there's the possibility of loaning him to a Russian team.

If they really wanted to dump him, they could find a way. I don't see it happening till at least the summer, if it did happen.

They would have to trade him or waive him.

Or there's the possibility of loaning him to a Russian team.

If they really wanted to dump him, they could find a way. I don't see it happening till at least the summer, if it did happen.

Waiving Bryz does not make his cap hit go away according to new CBA. They would still pay him and count his cap hit so waiving makes little sense unless they are sure someone will claim him. Which most likely someone will NOT, if on reentry waivers someone claims him then Philly stuck with half his salary and cap.

One thing that this lockout has taught me is that I am more interested in the off ice stuff like trades than I am regular season games.

Can we cut the season short and have an extra playoff series?

Philly can't buy out Bryzgalov until the summer so they would have both he and Luongo for the season unless Bryz agrees to waive his NMC for another team. He can't be waived with a no movement clause (not that it gives you cap relief anymore anyways).

The more teams in the hunt, the happier I am. I still have a hunch that the Florida owners push the move though. It really depends on the final wording of the clause allowing you to retain cap/salary in a trade. If you are allowed to retain one without the other it cinches him going to Florida. If we kept $2 million in salary but send the whole cap hit to Florida it works for both sides.

The original wording of that clause though suggested that if you kept salary, you had to keep the same proportion of the cap hit...

Waiving Bryz does not make his cap hit go away according to new CBA. They would still pay him and count his cap hit so waiving makes little sense unless they are sure someone will claim him. Which most likely someone will NOT, if on reentry waivers someone claims him then Philly stuck with half his salary and cap.

These are particularly interesting, I'm happy MG is pressing for Gardiner and Kadri, maybe Nonis will give in with additional pieces, then Ballard can be moved and we will have a replacement.

And I wonder who is out there in terms of backup goalies. The best ones probably wouldn't be avaliable to us but I wonder who might be avaliable.

I think there is some romanticism with Lu going to Philly TBH.

We as Canuck fans generally dislike the leafs on a good day. Add in the fact that it has become a toxic organization, especially under Burke, and has no real prospects of winning soon, deep down I think all of us would be a little disappointed in Luongo going there.

Florida on the other hand would cause Luongo to sort of fade into obscurity. Yes he would be great for the organization but its Florida. They will never be able to invest the capital to create a year after year contender, regardless of what people say about their prospect pool. Give it a few years and they will have a hard time signing all those high draft picks, and will lose some to free agency.

Chicago and Edmonton, although big markets he would thrive in, are direct rivals of Vancouver and I think we all sort of puke at the thought of the greatest goalie in Canuck history going to a team we hate.

Then there is Philly. A team with a star we all love (Giroux), a strong history but not a direct rival of the Canucks. A goalie past much like our own, and a pure hatred for Chicago and Boston. It is a market where Lu could be a star, and we wouldn't feel bad about it. If he succeeds there, we wont have any bad blood.

I think we like the idea of it because it would be a good third chapter for Lu.

I can't see Philly buying him out that's so much money going to nothing. Might as well have a heart and trade for a bag of pucks and donate whatever you were going to spend buying him out to hurricane sandy..

These business men wouldn't be where they are today if they made huge wreckless financial moves like that.

It will be interesting to see what goes down in the next few days here.

I think most teams have already done their planning during the lockout. So I think alot of them will be ready to make deals right out of the gate.

In a shortened season, I think you wanna have your roster set right away. Unlike a full season where you can go a month to see what weaknesses need to be addressed.

It's gonna be the first time we see a trade deadline in January.

Archived