3455 replies to this topic

#151 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

No body said BB will lose his job if he didn't get Luongo?

You said he'd lose his job if they don't make the playoffs. I'm skeptical that he's under that sort of pressure.

Why on earth would MG put Luongo on waivers? When was the last time a top 5 goalie in the world was put on waivers?

If there is no market, Luongo will remain a Canuck until there is a market. Or if it makes more sense MG could trade Schneider. There is no reason for MG to rush this situation, and he won't.

There are plenty of reasons for MG to deal with this situation very quickly:

-Luongo's value will not rise being Schneider's backup
-Luongo's presence, looking over the shoulder, will make it harder for Schneider to perform
-Luongo could outshine Schneider, making it look stupid for us to be interested in trading Luongo
-Luongo could just play not very good at all, which will hurt his value

Way too much risk in keeping that guy around. I don't think waivers is a route that they'll need to take either. But if there are no buyers...

#152 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's not a published fact but widely prolimated that he will indeed lose his job if they don't make the playoffs. Apparently he almost lost it this year and they are giving him one more shot.

Believe it or not the Leafs are getting tired of being the laughing stock of Canada.

Edited by Dogbyte, 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#153 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Uh-huh. Sure you did.

To say that you called this exact situation back in 2008 would be akin to saying that we shouldn't bother extending the Sedin's in 2014 because Jordan Schroeder will be the better player at that point.

I called this situation with Schnieder/Lou after the cup run and got flamed. I was right.

Suck it up buttercup, some people know more about hockey, business, and evaluating talent than you.

#154 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

If or when he finally gets traded to Toronto, i hope Biggs is part of the package!

#155 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Uh-huh. Sure you did.

To say that you called this exact situation back in 2008 would be akin to saying that we shouldn't bother extending the Sedin's in 2014 because Jordan Schroeder will be the better player at that point.

I called this situation with Schnieder/Lou after the cup run and got flamed. I was right.

Suck it up buttercup, some people know more about hockey, business, and evaluating talent than you.

#156 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

We hold all of the cards right now. Shortened season, all the pressure on teams who have very little room for error with goaltending.

Tampa, Columbus, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton all hurting big time.

- Tampa's an unknown until they play some NHL games (may look for a goalie part way into season)
- Columbus is probably marginally better but not enough (def a possibility if a deal could be had)
- Florida could hold up ok as they did last year (open to the right deal for sure)
- Toronto has nothing but another yer of experience (see Florida)
- Edmonton has Dubnyk, they'd like a solid backup (no way they move anything major for Luongo)

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#157 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

You said he'd lose his job if they don't make the playoffs. I'm skeptical that he's under that sort of pressure.

There are plenty of reasons for MG to deal with this situation very quickly:

-Luongo's value will not rise being Schneider's backup
-Luongo's presence, looking over the shoulder, will make it harder for Schneider to perform
-Luongo could outshine Schneider, making it look stupid for us to be interested in trading Luongo
-Luongo could just play not very good at all, which will hurt his value

Way too much risk in keeping that guy around. I don't think waivers is a route that they'll need to take either. But if there are no buyers...

Doesn't that make us look smart for keeping him?

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#158 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

- Edmonton has Dubnyk, they'd like a solid backup (no way they move anything major for Luongo)

They also have no love for Mike Gillis, from the Nylander debacle back in 2007.

#159 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Doesn't that make us look smart for keeping him?

Not really, because under that scenario his days would still be numbered as a member of this organization.

#160 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

"Suck it up buttercup"? What is this, 1996? Good one.

And you had made it sound like you had "called" Schneider supplanting Luongo far earlier than after the Cup run - a whopping 1 season ago. Not exactly keen foresight when the other guy is getting lit-up for 7 per game in Boston. Pretty easy to say "durr, I knew they should've put Schneider in net..."

#161 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

id be tempted to throw luongo schroeder and a 1st at tallon and see if he coughs up huberdeau.

probably not but that is a hefty package for them to consider.

#162 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Does Brian Burke go against his stated disdain for the long-term, back-diving contract and take on a decade of Roberto? We can hear Burke now, reminding us that he'd said he was against signing those deals, but never did he say he would trade for one.

The word on the street here is that Burke needs the goalie to save his job; that another playoff miss (his fifth consecutive since taking the Leafs job) would be his last.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/06/mark_spector_on_nhl_we_made_it_through/

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#163 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Lui to Toronto? Just say no. Unless everyone is comfortable watching him every Saturday night on CBC

#164 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if there is a trade already in place.

#165 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

id be tempted to throw luongo schroeder and a 1st at tallon and see if he coughs up huberdeau.

probably not but that is a hefty package for them to consider.

This wouldn't get Huberdeau, and it likely wouldn't get Tallon to cough up Bjugstad. And I wouldn't want the Canucks to part with their 1st, unless it was part of a trade where they got back the other team's 1st (which would likely be higher than the Canucks' pick).

However, that package might get Tallon to consider parting with assets like Shore, Petrovic, Matthias, their 2014 1st and a few other such assets. Put three or so together and you got a deal. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#166 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

If the trade is with Toronto, you have to ask for Kessel straight up. You trade talent for talent. Cap hits are similar, but Kessel is UFA in 2014-2015.

#167 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what about Drew Shore? The Canucks could still get a pretty decent return from Florida while they get to keep Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, and Kulikov.

That still leaves Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Alex Petrovic, Stephen Weiss, and Shawn matthias left to make a deal.

I'm not sure why Shores name has never come up, but it could make sense (especially for the Kadri haters out there)

#168 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think winning now is more important than the future. You have the core of this team locked for the next two seasons. That is why trading Luongo for prospects does not make any sense. We do not need projects for the future. Our time to win is now.

#169 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not really, because under that scenario his days would still be numbered as a member of this organization.

What a ridiculous statement. If Lu outshines Cory, then we still MUST trade Lu? No, no we don't.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#170 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what about Drew Shore? The Canucks could still get a pretty decent return from Florida while they get to keep Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, and Kulikov.

That still leaves Drew Shore, Quinton Howden, Alex Petrovic, Stephen Weiss, and Shawn matthias left to make a deal.

I'm not sure why Shores name has never come up, but it could make sense (especially for the Kadri haters out there)

Shore has been mentioned in passing - I agree with you - he's largely overlooked due to the big names in the Panther's prospect pool (and with all that young talent up the middle, they can really afford to move a prospect) - he is leading the Rampage in scoring (nearly doubling Howden's production). I think Shore is a good two way center with decent speed and size - would be a good piece to include in a deal (and not over-valued) - a nice addition to the Canucks prospects, particularly if Schroeder makes the team and leaves a whole in the Wolves lineup.

Edited by oldnews, 06 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#171 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

This is certainly part of it. But the fundamental issue remains. Schnieder is the superior goalie, on the way up, cheaper and better technically. Lou is aging, not better fundamentally, and has peaked, and in the plateau and eventual downswing of his career, and more expensive.

They both play behind the same defense and Schnieder has put up better numbers.

However, I partly agree, there are two things this team needs on Defense.

1. A tough stay at home player who plays a simple game and can make a quick outlet pass
2. A real top ten Dman - can Eddy be that, I think so, and hopefully this year proves it.

Not every team is going to have a Chara, Neidermayer, Pronger, Weber. There is a reason they are paid so much, bc everyone wants them and there are few around.

I think one of the issues on defense is actually our coaching. Our dmen have to be coached better on dzone coverage when their partner is in trouble, and how to provide an outlet, as do our forwards. Defensive zone coverage is a team issue not just dmen and yes when teams pressure our d they get running around and I get the willies.

You see it happening, you know whats coming and you pray our goalie will hold the fort. Unfortnately, Lou just doesn't seem to be able to do that as well a Schnieds now.

Luongo plays 50-70 games a year whereas Schneider plays 30 games a year thereby creating the illusion that he is better than Luongo.

#172 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Florida just give us Nick Bjugstad and Slot in Huberdeau behind Weiss.

Don't be greedy Florida. ::D

#173 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Man, I really hope if Luongo get's traded its with a pick/prospect for a guy like Gudbranson. That big, mean, mobile, shutdown defender is precisely what this team is missing. A Tanev - Gudbranson pairing would be dynamite, and Edler - Gudbranson would be legendary.

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 06 January 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

#174 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

King your circular logic is catching up to you.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#175 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

In terms of the timing of a Luongo deal if it were to happen, I think Gillis waits a little bit unless the value is there already. Lu is a work horse and can play 45-46 of the 50 games, and a hot goalie can bring you into the playoffs. Just watch, a few game into the regular season several unproven/aging goalies will struggle on teams like TB, WSH, NJ, CHI who are expected to challenge for a cup, the demand for a goalie of Luongos caliber will increase, and then Gillis will strike.

When the goalie market is in ashes, then Gillis will have my permission to trade

Edited by EvoLu7ioN, 06 January 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

#176 Bingo Chili

Bingo Chili

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

just win the freaking cup

#177 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

This is Schneider's team now. We have to set strombone free.

Posted Image

We have to let him go.

#178 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

If the trade is with Toronto, you have to ask for Kessel straight up. You trade talent for talent. Cap hits are similar, but Kessel is UFA in 2014-2015.

They will never do that, Kessel is probably there most valuable roster player. They traded Seguin, Hamilton, Knight. For him. Then suddenly they are going to flip him for Luongo? Not a chance.

And quite frankly this salary cap situation could handcuff us if we are not careful, we should look at getting future assets (Picks/prospects) Since that is the weakest part of our organization.

I think winning now is more important than the future. You have the core of this team locked for the next two seasons. That is why trading Luongo for prospects does not make any sense. We do not need projects for the future. Our time to win is now.

Actually we don't Edler is a pending UFA and if we take on a contract like Kessel, Lupul (Niether of which will happen) or Kulemin exc.

There is no guarentee we will have room to re-sign Edler, which is most important, losing him would mean losing a huge piece of this team, and getting him undercontract is way more valuable than whatever mediocre roster player we could get from Toronto.

zackass.png

#179 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

What a ridiculous statement. If Lu outshines Cory, then we still MUST trade Lu? No, no we don't.

He doesn't want to be here anymore. If everybody can speculate that Cody wanted out so badly, why can't we speculate that Luongo wants out as well, on the account of his "it's time to move on" statement, his Twitter account, etc.?

#180 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

There is no guarentee we will have room to re-sign Edler, which is most important, losing him would mean losing a huge piece of this team, and getting him undercontract is way more valuable than whatever mediocre roster player we could get from Toronto.

Agreed, and this reality (Edler perhaps being forced out) also makes the Garrison signing all that much worse.

Edited by King of the ES, 06 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.