The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

If that "expendable" player is Luongo then yes. If that "expendable" player is Luongo for picks and prospects, even more so. Over 300 pages of CDC interest in the matter, a mass media frenzy, numerous articles on Luongo and a possible firing from The Mecca of hockey tends to say Luongo might not be as "expendable" as local fans might think.

If that "expendable" player is Luongo then yes. If that "expendable" player is Luongo for picks and prospects, even more so. Over 300 pages of CDC interest in the matter, a mass media frenzy, numerous articles on Luongo and a possible firing from The Mecca of hockey tends to say Luongo might not be as "expendable" as local fans might think.

I certainly don't call Luongo "expendable". Disgruntled yes but "expendable"? No. You don't give a rookie a repeat President's Trophy team with a closing window to a Stanley Cup, akin to giving a Ferrari 360 Mondena to a 16 year old; he'll crash it faster than you can pay for it.

The coach is to blame on that one. And that's if there if blame to be had outside of an utter lack of effort against the Kings; the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

As for Boston, the entire world was for Boston, even our own National Television outlet CBC turned out to be in favor of Boston, as well as most Vancouver media outlets. They who were not in favor of Boston to win, we're not shy of letting their skeptical opinion on the matter.

The Canucks didn't help themselves either with late hits, embellishment, finger biting, walking into a fully gelled house of hate and coming back out with a broken back. To me, the series was lost when Alberts had to knock on the penalty door to get in and then confirmed after Daniel was bitch slapped by a tweeter rookie protected by some of the biggest bulls on the market.

Blame Luongo? No! Get him a god damned nasty crease clearing 1D FFS and get the team some much needed toughness and secondary scoring.

The mentality of all for one and one for all MUST be there. It was there for Chicago, it was there for Boston and it definitely was there for L.A.

I think Luongo willingly giving the go ahead to open the door for a trade is more telling than the actual event; the wheels have fallen off the wagon in Vancouver from the net up.

If it went as it should, Hodgson would be playing 2C this year. But no. Kesler's pride came before the team. Now the Canucks have to go fish not only for a 3C but also a 2C and that is until Kesler comes back and takes his position by right at 2C? I don't think so. AV is also not the most agile media magician, he also has had many blunders that have hurt the team.

To me, Luongo is more than just a trade. It is the story of a franchise in disarray.

One way to calm down this entire fiasco is to trade Schneider for much needed help in front of the net, in scoring and/or toughness. I would certainly take the chance of winning a Cup with a known goaltender and the extra help, than a fresh rookie with 70 games experience.

It just makes absolutely no sense whatever.

If TOR is trying to get Luongo on the cheap- that is hilarious they turn to Buffalo- Buffalo would ask for grdiner and Kessel for Miller, he is truly their franchise player- not to mention emotional leader. Nonis is useless anyway.

I like Ian Esplen's proposal today of

Luongo, Raymond for Conolly, Reilly and a 2nd

Yeah, Giguire would be a great backup for Schneider. Vokoun would be my #1 choice but Giguire is experienced and a Cup winner.

Schneider has about 70 NHL games to his credit and 4 or 5 playoff starts. He needs a veteran backup for support and guidance. Just an older guy to bounce things off when times aren't so good.

I am so sure Philly is ready to trade for an older mental case with a longer contract, and they cant buy Bryz out until after the season so you expect Philly to be thrilled to have Lu and Bryz on the same team?

I guess now with the new CBA a NTC and NMC are essentially the same, but with Bryz and his NMC, I think Lu would be much more likely to want to play in the centre of the universe more so than Bryz, so I doubt Bryz waives his NMC to go to Toronto.

To buy out Bryz to take on Lu would be outright stupidity because Lu and Bryz are equal right now.

Archived